Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

News & Notes - January 31st

Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Shots not falling for Illinois in Big Ten play

Groce doesn't buy the idea his team is having a harder time finding good shots against Big Ten competition. When Groce watched film of Sunday's 74-60 loss to Michigan, he was happy with the quality of his team's shots. It was just the result that wasn't to his liking. Illinois shot 23-of-62 from the field and 6-of-26 on 3-pointers against the Wolverines.

"We were wide open," Groce said. "We ran plays, executed, got shots we were getting early in the season, and we didn't make them. It's kind of it is what it is.

"That's why I talk about controlling the controller. We executed a couple things really, really well on Sunday. I thought set-play execution was as good as it's been. You got to make a couple."

Scott Powers
Quote:
Griffey's 3-point prowess looks good on paper, but hasn't in games

"It's still basketball," Griffey said. "It's still fun. I still love to come to practice, love getting better with these guys. I'm confident (the 3-pointers) are going to fall. I'll keep shooting."

Supinie
Quote:
Can Illini exploit good practices?

Groce said Illinois has worked on tightening up a number of details, including screening and blocking out on the glass. But he said Illinois' difficulties could most easily be grouped into two categories.

"One, our defensive efficiency has been up and down," he said. "We have to impact the game more defensively than what we're doing. We did that early-on better than we're doing it now."

Tupper
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Future Walk-On
Conference Stats

9th in 3 Pt FGM - 39

3rd in 3 Pt. FGA - 159

12th in 3 Pt FG % - 24.9%

ALSO:

11th in FGM

12th in FGA

9th in FG%

but we are 1st in FT%!
Future Walk-On is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Walk-On View Post
Conference Stats

9th in 3 Pt FGM - 39

3rd in 3 Pt. FGA - 159

12th in 3 Pt FG % - 24.9%

ALSO:

11th in FGM

12th in FGA

9th in FG%

but we are 1st in FT%!
Bearing in mind that we are one of just two teams which have played 7 games. Everyone else has played 8 or 9.

In terms of possessions per game, we are 4th in the conference.

Didn't realize how bad the B1G has been ft shooting-we are first by five percentage points. No one else is even shooting 70% in the conference season.
Holdemall is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:32 PM   #4
IlliniSpine
Banned
Takeaway: since shots aren't falling, get to line.

We get to line, we get points.

We get to line, we get in better shooting rhythm and confidence in our shot

We get to line, we get their guys in foul trouble.

This should be emphasized again and again as I hope Groce has been doing.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Looking Back on Sergio McClain

Good read about Sergio...
Quote:
“There are players you win with, and players you win because of.” What a perfect way to describe the play of Sergio McClain. Sergio McClain was a guy whose teams won because of him, not just with him.

Jeff Thomason

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »