Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Next Year's Team

Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
ILL
Banned
So, looking at the roster, what is our lineup going to look like next year? My best guess would be something along these lines:

1: Abrams
2: Rice
3: Bertrand
4: Henry/Shaw
5: Egwu

To be honest, that lineup doesn't really inspire a ton of confidence. Our three point shooting could be pretty weak, and we're gonna need Egwu to really assert himself and learn how to play defense without fouling. (This means no more moving screens at the top of the key, preferably). The 4 is a real concern as well. Henry would be a nice stretch four in that he can hit some threes, and would provide some offensive rebounding, but the defense is sorely lacking. Shaw has played hard in limited minutes, but hasn't shown much in terms of deserving to start next year.

Groce is going to need his freshman to come in and contribute immediately. Tate is probably going to get some serious minutes backing up Abrams if he can handle it, and Nunn and Hill will have to contribute some bench scoring. Colbert and Morgan will provide depth down low, and I wouldn't be surprised if Colbert wins the starting job at the 4 during the season, just because what's currently there isn't much.

Looking forward to the rest of this season, but boy does it look like Groce is gonna have his work cut out for him next year. Sure hope he's up to it.
ILL is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
illini ri0t
Banned
Who's to say some of the freshmen don't step up?? I believe next year playing time is going to be spread out a lot more between the starters and the bench. With that logic, why worry so much about the starters.

Remember, these freshman are Groce's boys, they WILL see court time.
illini ri0t is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Bogieredmond
While I think Tracy, Joe, and Nnanna are a lock to start, who plays when, and how much we win, will be about team chemistry. Rice and Henry are both natural scorers, but how much they play will likely depend on how well they defend and rebound (again, next year we'll need to rebound by committee). And I could see any of the freshmen earn extensive playing time.

I hope that next year's team gets a chance to take a late summer exhibition trip. The more they get a chance to try different combinations and develop some chemistry, the better. Man for man, the freshmen may not stack up that well with the four 22 - 23 year old seniors who are moving on, but as a team unit, we could end up doing better than this year.
Bogieredmond is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4
ILL
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
Who's to say some of the freshmen don't step up??
My point wasn't that the freshman won't step up. Rather, I think they'll have to do absolutely that in order for this team to be competitive. However, freshman rarely just come into a conference like the B1G and perform at an extremely high level (save the 5 star burger boy types).
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
trevdv
For one thing, it's hard to predict who won't and will "step up" next year; we don't even know half the players on next year's roster. So I think this thread is a bit premature, seeing as we don't even really know the personalities of the incoming freshman. Wait until at least the summer, when we have a lot more time to focus on next year's incoming class. Let's worry about closing out the 2013 season before we're concerned about next year's depth. No disrespect to the thread, just think it's hard to predict what next year's team will be like seeing as we don't even know what to expect from this year's players.

Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:09 PM   #6
OrangeandBlue4eva
I'm hoping next year's team will include the JUCO Desmond Lee
OrangeandBlue4eva is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Indicchief
Banned
To me who starts does not matter. It is how many minutes each plays that matters.

And, as the season goes on I would not be surprised at all to see the Freshment getting a lot more minutes. I suspect that talent, drive and an attitude will trump experience.

But then what impact the absence of DJ/BP/TG will have I cannot say.
Indicchief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Illinoise
Rice will be the go to guy next year. Don't underestimate how good he can be next year.
Illinoise is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Letswinagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoise View Post
Rice will be the go to guy next year. Don't underestimate how good he can be next year.

I agree that Rice seems to be "the man" next year, but I'm hoping that we'll have at least two go to guys, with Joe B becoming more assertive and consistent. The team will be more consistent with multiple threats.

I also wonder about Nnanna Egwu playing some at the 4 with Morgan playing post at the same time. That could be interesting if MM is ready to contribute some meaningful time next year.
Letswinagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Toews
The Michigan team relies heavily on their freshmen, to the point that they have actually made Burke better. Obviously that does not mean our freshmen will do that, but it is possible.
Toews is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:22 PM   #11
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indicchief View Post
To me who starts does not matter. It is how many minutes each plays that matters.

And, as the season goes on I would not be surprised at all to see the Freshment getting a lot more minutes. I suspect that talent, drive and an attitude will trump experience.

But then what impact the absence of DJ/BP/TG will have I cannot say.
I think we're REALLY going to miss DJ and BP next year
sapan1030 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:25 PM   #12
IanKEvans2
1) Abrams
2) Rice
3) Bertrand
4) ??
5) Egwu

I think with the natural strides the players make through the off-season, that lineup looks alright considering the production the team will lose from the graduating senior class.

The wild card that will play a large role in the success of next year's team will be the production from the 4 and the impact of the freshman class.

Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:53 PM   #13
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
I think we're REALLY going to miss DJ next year
Fixed that for ya
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:16 AM   #14
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL View Post
So, looking at the roster, what is our lineup going to look like next year? My best guess would be something along

Ill actually be surprised if Shaw is even here next year.

Last edited by Dan; Feb 10, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
combes is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:19 AM   #15
trevdv
Quote:

Groce is going to need his freshman to come in and contribute immediately.
Interesting that you think the freshman will need to immediately contribute, yet you have none of them in your prediction of the starting five. If their instantaneous success is so crucial, why aren't any of them worthy enough of a starting job?

Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:24 AM   #16
Archie
Banned
Abrams
Hill
Rice
Bertrand
Egwu
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:26 AM   #17
Leonardite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
Fixed that for ya
No you didn't.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:31 AM   #18
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
Fixed that for ya
Trust me, BP is the most talented player we've had in a long time. He's also one of our only true playmakers. We wouldn't have won on Thursday if not for his contribtions as well as DJ's and Griffey's. Still can't believe how much he gets ragged on by our fans. He's never gonna be Luther, Dee, or Deron, so let's lower the bar a bit
sapan1030 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:32 AM   #19
Jimmy McNulty
I don't remember who was on the Tay and Jay show this week, I think a brackatologist from yahoo, but he said he thought next years team would be a 25 win team. I think that might be high but I dont think 20 plus wins and a 6-7 seed in the tournament is at all a stretch.
Jimmy McNulty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:35 AM   #20
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
Abrams
Hill
Rice
Bertrand
Egwu
I think this is the best guess. I think at least one Freshman will be playing by B10 season. To be honest who thought Sam would be starting now. I hope either MM or another can give Egwu a challenge. I personally like Sam more than most on this site just from his videos coming in and more so now and who thought that coming into the year. Most short changed a guy from C Carolina. I know that one reason Michigan is doing so well this year and last is Belien has more faith in playing young men more than BW ever did. I think Groce will play the best players regardless of class and that has not been the case at U of I for a while.

Last edited by PeoriaIllini1; Feb 10, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
PeoriaIllini1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:54 AM   #21
ILL
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Interesting that you think the freshman will need to immediately contribute, yet you have none of them in your prediction of the starting five. If their instantaneous success is so crucial, why aren't any of them worthy enough of a starting job?
I was making a starting 5 using our returning players. I highly doubt coach Groce is going to insert a true freshman into the starting 5 to begin the season. My point was that we'll need them to contribute if this team is going to compete. Did you have a tough time understanding? Hope this helped buddy.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:03 AM   #22
Archie
Banned
Quote:
I was making a starting 5 using our returning players. I highly doubt coach Groce is going to insert a true freshman into the starting 5 to begin the season.
Why not?

The landscape of college basketball is filled with freshmen that start. Malcolm Hill is a very offensive skilled basketball player, and I believe will start from day 1 under John Groce.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:42 AM   #23
ILL
Banned
It's extremely rare for a player who isn't ranked in the top 50 of his class to start from day 1. I think Malcolm is very skilled offensively as well, but highly doubt he'll start in the first game of the season. Illini fans tend to drastically overrate recruits.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:45 AM   #24
Archie
Banned
Quote:
It's extremely rare for a player who isn't ranked in the top 50 of his class to start from day 1. I think Malcolm is very skilled offensively as well, but highly doubt he'll start in the first game of the season. Illini fans tend to drastically overrate recruits.
So I left off the "ly" - it's well past midnight.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:14 AM   #25
alexander58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McNulty View Post
I don't remember who was on the Tay and Jay show this week, I think a brackatologist from yahoo, but he said he thought next years team would be a 25 win team. I think that might be high but I dont think 20 plus wins and a 6-7 seed in the tournament is at all a stretch.
Thats what I call optimism.
alexander58 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »