Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Purdue, Wednesday, February 13th, 8:00pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Game 26: Illinois (17-8, 4-7) vs Purdue (12-12, 5-6)

Wednesday, February 13th

The Assembly Hall

Time: 8:00pm CT

TV: BTN

Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:02 PM   #2
outd00rminer
Revenge.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
NnannasBananas11
These seniors are going to be hyped for this game. Hope they can get their first win against Purdue in style.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:18 PM   #4
NorthwesternIllini4
Gotta get this one. Can't afford to blow all the momentum we built up this week

Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:21 PM   #5
zpfled
Time for the seniors to make their legacy. They will be remembered, not for their four-year careers, but for the rest of this season.

Well, Tyler Griffey will always be the guy who beat #1 Indiana on a buzzer beater.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6
cjcastan
These seniors never beat Mizzou or Purdue right?

We HAVE to win this game!

Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:29 PM   #7
illinitrav
A comment I've been wanting to make for awhile. Not sure where it belongs and it's certainly not worthy of a thread so why not here.

Anyone else notice how The Hall is starting to drift away from the ALL ORANGE theme? Every game I attend and see on tv there is less and less orange.

This is one thing that really made us unique. Do we need to go back to printing ***WEAR ORANGE*** on the tickets??
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:37 PM   #8
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitrav View Post
A comment I've been wanting to make for awhile. Not sure where it belongs and it's certainly not worthy of a thread so why not here.

Anyone else notice how The Hall is starting to drift away from the ALL ORANGE theme? Every game I attend and see on tv there is less and less orange.

This is one thing that really made us unique. Do we need to go back to printing ***WEAR ORANGE*** on the tickets??
Maybe we can reinstate Paint the Hall Orange nights, and it will actually be something special.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:04 PM   #9
illinitrav
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
Maybe we can reinstate Paint the Hall Orange nights, and it will actually be something special.
Every team in the nation does that though. I think we have a pretty special and unique thing going when it's a sea of orange EVERY game.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Illini B-Ball Fan
Good time as any to paint it orange.

Illini 76, PU stinks 51
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:13 PM   #11
Brillini
Let's stay hungry. There's no reason we should lose to Purdue at home as long as we bring the intensity. I think we will, and we have been pretty strong on both ends of the floor the last two games.

I loved how we doubled Mbakwe in the post tonight. I thought we rotated well out of it and it gave them some fits. If we play man again, IMO we should look to do the same against Hammons. He's been a big part of what they do, it could help keep the bigs out of foul trouble while trying to defend him, and they don't shoot well from the perimeter. I also would not be surprised if we play some zone for a lot of those same reasons.

In any case, I think we keep it rolling:
Purdont 61
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:15 PM   #12
zoggle101
This team needs to dig deep down and decide what they want. Be humble this week, go to class along with practice with the promise you're putting your best effort forth, and help that old lady across the street. Forget the partying, you have the off season, and the rest of your twenties to have a social life. The season, school, and your family is all that matters. Do all this, and I can smell an elite eight appearance.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:20 PM   #13
IanKEvans2
Start Abrams, bring Griffey and Bertrand off the bench, start out quick, and keep the pedal to the floor.

Illinois 76
Purdue 64

Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:32 PM   #14
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillini View Post
I loved how we doubled Mbakwe in the post tonight. I thought we rotated well out of it and it gave them some fits. If we play man again, IMO we should look to do the same against Hammons. He's been a big part of what they do, it could help keep the bigs out of foul trouble while trying to defend him, and they don't shoot well from the perimeter.
+1. Would be surprised if we don't see this strategy. Hammons is PU's only 1 on 1 scoring threat. Neutralize him, keep a man on Byrd at all times and keep Ronnie and Terone out of the lane.

Think the guys will be very amped to finally beat PU, and should be a big and noisy crowd to support them.

PU 60
UI 73
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:31 PM   #15
Adnarel
The defense has improved so, so much since the last time we faced Purdue. Given that combined with the return of TG, I am looking forward for a long-overdue win against Purdue.

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:32 PM   #16
solbur2
Banned
NO LETDOWN. seniors have been notorious for letdown games. If we get this game we are golden. Come out with energy and a fast start. Don't let them even think they can win once the game starts. We still need to play desperate.

Illini 69
Purdue 52

LEAVE NO DOUBT!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:56 PM   #17
mattcoldagelli
I really want to run this Purdue team off the floor.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:07 AM   #18
BlockI
Banned
"I'm sick and tired of losing to Purdue" Coach Robert Knight.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:42 AM   #19
illini ri0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by outd00rminer View Post
Revenge.
A MILLION TIMES YES! Byrd is a D-Bag, let's blow them OUT!!!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:48 AM   #20
IlliniRunIn07
This has been true of the last four or five games, but this is our biggest game of the season. I wouldn't say it's a must win game, because we can make up for a bad loss with an unexpected win. It's just we would have to be a lock for the tournament if the season ended today. Unfortunately it doesn't. We need a few more wins to ice our dancing spot for March, and this is one of the 3 most winnable games left on our schedule IMO.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:25 AM   #21
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I really want to run this Purdue team off the floor.
Me too, but I don't see it. I think we will win, but I don't think we'll win going away. Painter has our number, but hopefully our new found confidence will put an end to that.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:32 AM   #22
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
+1. Would be surprised if we don't see this strategy. Hammons is PU's only 1 on 1 scoring threat. Neutralize him, keep a man on Byrd at all times and keep Ronnie and Terone out of the lane.

Think the guys will be very amped to finally beat PU, and should be a big and noisy crowd to support them.

PU 60
UI 73
Follow Byrd everywhere on the perimeter, I would personally allow him to drive. He can't get hot from 3 against us.

Absolutely sag off Ronnie and Terone. It drove me absolutely nuts to see us continually over play them on the perimeter as they blew by us time after time and got into the lane for easy shots.

Hammons is a good player, he is going to be tough to stop. We need to get him in foul trouble somehow again, that would be huge.

We need to be mentally tough this game. I think having a physical battle against Minnesota and winning it was a good set up game for Purdue, as it will be a very similar type of game.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:36 AM   #23
midastouch11
Purdue is going to give us fits once again but hopefully our energy will be better than in the first game and we can win with talent and experience.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:30 AM   #24
-josh-
Banana no more
Just playing good basketball should be enough to beat these clowns. They won't get away with all their grabbing on D at out place.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:39 AM   #25
Railsplitter
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
Just playing good basketball should be enough to beat these clowns. They won't get away with all their grabbing on D at out place.
These clowns are going to be a load next year. If Hammons keeps his head on straight. Painters young players are getting experience, and are better than a lot of people believe. jmo
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »