Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Bracketology - The Week of February 11th

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:35 AM   #1
illinihawk16
Former Lurker
illinihawk16's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 271
Jerry Palm's Bracketology (updated this morning) has us at a 7 seed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
illinihawk16 is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:04 AM   #2
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts
Posts: 7,856
USAToday has us as a 10 seed
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 2,011
Honestly not a lot of difference between the two.

__________________
A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he begins to blame somebody else and stops trying. ~ John Burroughs
Ransom Stoddard is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Botb9
Realist
Botb9's Avatar
Posts: 5,024
That 4-7 record in the B1G is really ugly, and it shows in people's ratings.

__________________
Hype is a self-serving beast that feeds on the hopes and dreams of fans.
Botb9 is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:11 AM   #5
WeatherfordForMVP
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinihawk16 View Post
Jerry Palm's Bracketology (updated this morning) has us at a 7 seed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
Would be thrilled with a 7 seed, and probably in the realm of possibility, too. Go 5-2 in the last 7 regular season games and do well in the tourney, and 6 or 5 might even be possible.
WeatherfordForMVP is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:20 AM   #6
chief78
chief78's Avatar
Location: Florida
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinihawk16 View Post
Jerry Palm's Bracketology (updated this morning) has us at a 7 seed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
If those 7 teams get in from the B1G - well that is a pretty tough bunch that should represent the B1G very well.
chief78 is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:45 AM   #7
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts
Posts: 7,856
Yahoo - 9 seed
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:09 PM   #8
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Swansea, IL
Posts: 4,466
I'll be happy with anything but an 8 or 9 seed. Although if this season has shown anything it's that there's no dominant team and it wouldn't be surprising for a 1 seed to go down in the second round. Fingers crossed for a 7.
DrewD007 is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:25 PM   #9
RyanK
RyanK's Avatar
Posts: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
That 4-7 record in the B1G is really ugly, and it shows in people's ratings.
Luckily, conference record (supposedly) isn't looked at by the selection committee.
RyanK is online now
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Cool Hand Luke's Avatar
Location: Surrounded by Cornfields
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherfordForMVP View Post
Would be thrilled with a 7 seed, and probably in the realm of possibility, too. Go 5-2 in the last 7 regular season games and do well in the tourney, and 6 or 5 might even be possible.
5-2 would put us at 22-10 (9-9) with one hell of a resume. I would think a 5 or 6 is definitely doable.

While I always maintain that ultimately the B1G Tourney is generally pretty meaningless, if we could go 2-1 that would put us at 24-11 with at least 1 more good win. I'd wager a 5 seed would just about be a lock.

All that said, please just get to 8-10 and in the danged tourney. I don't care what seed. Just get in, PLEASE.

__________________
"Illinois fans are awesome. They canít be beat. Thereís no competition. The fans are just awesome." - Elijah Thomas
Cool Hand Luke is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:39 PM   #11
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
5-2 would put us at 22-10 (9-9) with one hell of a resume. I would think a 5 or 6 is definitely doable.

While I always maintain that ultimately the B1G Tourney is generally pretty meaningless, if we could go 2-1 that would put us at 24-11 with at least 1 more good win. I'd wager a 5 seed would just about be a lock.

All that said, please just get to 8-10 and in the danged tourney. I don't care what seed. Just get in, PLEASE.
As far as the committee is concerned, 5 more wins gets us to 21. They don't see, or count the Chaminade win.

__________________
www.afsp.org

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is online now
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:47 PM   #12
IlliniTilDeath
IlliniTilDeath's Avatar
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
5-2 would put us at 22-10 (9-9) with one hell of a resume. I would think a 5 or 6 is definitely doable.

While I always maintain that ultimately the B1G Tourney is generally pretty meaningless, if we could go 2-1 that would put us at 24-11 with at least 1 more good win. I'd wager a 5 seed would just about be a lock.

All that said, please just get to 8-10 and in the danged tourney. I don't care what seed. Just get in, PLEASE.
+1. If we win the games we are supposed to win, we're definitely in the tourney. Wins outside of those should only help our seeding, which imo is just icing on the take based off of our recent tourney appearances.
IlliniTilDeath is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:48 PM   #13
UofIChE06
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 742
For all of those that think UI is hanging on by the skin of their teeth I have a question for you.

How many teams in the bracket (let's use CBS for this) are 5-6 or better against teams in the bracket?
UofIChE06 is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:52 PM   #14
ChampaignLou
Location: Chicago
Posts: 409
Tourney Seeding

I will be happy to just make the tournament. There is a plausible view of having a less than stellar conference record and not making the tournament in spite of having a great resume of beating top tier teams.

I think in the recent past where Illinois has been on the bubble, those Illinois teams sweated out bids because they didn't have those signature wins. This team definitely does not have that problem. In fact, I think that this team has the one of the best resumes in the country in spite of their conference record.

So a record of 7-11, 8-10 would be sufficient to make the tournament. 9-9 makes it a lock. I'm hoping for 9-9, but I think that the team will make it to 8-10 and an 8 seed.
ChampaignLou is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:00 PM   #15
WizardBill
Illini optimist
WizardBill's Avatar
Location: Charleston, IL
Posts: 1,492
10-8 and 23-9 a d a 4 seed. That is all dependent on us not winning the BTT. When we win the BTT, maybe a 3 seed.

__________________
Lost Cat:

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
WizardBill is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Illini70math
Posts: 2,066
The easy example is the 2011 Illini. We had a 19-12 regular season record with a loss to UIC and we lost our first BTT game to UM. We also lost at PSU, at NW, and at (bad) IU. That got us a 9-seed. Compare that to where we are this season.
Illini70math is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:45 PM   #17
PointGuardU01
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Luckily, conference record (supposedly) isn't looked at by the selection committee.
This is exactly right and why we are in good shape as long as we win our home games. Another poster was also right about Chaminade win not counting or even being on our schedule when committee looks at it. In their eyes we are 16-8 with an incredibly tough schedule and 5 GREAT wins. We are in good shape. If we finish 3-4 that's 19-12 with a great schedule and wins = LOCK. BTT win wouldnt hurt but conference tournaments dont usually affect much in terms of at-large bids...may change seeding, and of course a team stealing an automatic bid can knock a team out, but not many teams play their way out of an at-large bid in their conference tourney...too much of the field has to be already in place when those games are played. They can't just sit down Sunday morning and start scratching stuff out.
PointGuardU01 is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:06 PM   #18
jrichisamazing
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
This is exactly right and why we are in good shape as long as we win our home games. Another poster was also right about Chaminade win not counting or even being on our schedule when committee looks at it. In their eyes we are 16-8 with an incredibly tough schedule and 5 GREAT wins. We are in good shape. If we finish 3-4 that's 19-12 with a great schedule and wins = LOCK. BTT win wouldnt hurt but conference tournaments dont usually affect much in terms of at-large bids...may change seeding, and of course a team stealing an automatic bid can knock a team out, but not many teams play their way out of an at-large bid in their conference tourney...too much of the field has to be already in place when those games are played. They can't just sit down Sunday morning and start scratching stuff out.
19-12(7-11) should get us in but it would be close. No team has ever gotten an at large bid with a conference record of more than 2 games below .500. I think we get to at least 8 wins and don't have to worry about it but based on history we would be right on the bubble at 19-12. It would be a shame if we got to 7-11 in the B1G and didn't get in because we deserve too.
jrichisamazing is online now
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:09 PM   #19
OrangeAndBlue217
OrangeAndBlue217's Avatar
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
19-12(7-11) should get us in but it would be close. No team has ever gotten an at large bid with a conference record of more than 2 games below .500. I think we get to at least 8 wins and don't have to worry about it but based on history we would be right on the bubble at 19-12. It would be a shame if we got to 7-11 in the B1G and didn't get in because we deserve too.
I am aware this is the case, but one may be hard pressed to find a team that has finished more than 2 games below in conference that has our resume. And in the best conference by far. A strange situation it would be but no other teams has our wins resume.
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:15 PM   #20
Adnarel
Adnarel's Avatar
Location: Metamora
Posts: 370
Please, please no 5 seed. It's cursed.

__________________
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Theodore Roosevelt
Adnarel is offline
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:06 AM   #21
cosmicpowers
Posts: 65
Lunardi's latest: 11 seed, and off the "last 4 in" list.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Last edited by Dan; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added link
cosmicpowers is offline
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:31 AM   #22
UIUC2008
Banned
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicpowers View Post
Lunardi's latest: 11 seed, and off the "last 4 in" list.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
I think Lunardi got this one wrong. I'm not sure what he's looking at but when an 11 seed (last week) beats the #1 and #18 teams they should move up a little bit more than that.
UIUC2008 is offline
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 AM   #23
Botb9
Realist
Botb9's Avatar
Posts: 5,024
I get it; he doesn't trust us. Beat up on the Boilers this week and we're worthy of trust again.

Interesting numbers from the Nitty Gritty too. We're 26th in RPI, and we're the only team in the top 30 that has 2 so-called "bad losses" which are losses to the 101-200 ranks. The next closest team is UCLA at 38th. Maddening? Absolutely.

__________________
Hype is a self-serving beast that feeds on the hopes and dreams of fans.
Botb9 is offline
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Botb9
Realist
Botb9's Avatar
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnarel View Post
Please, please no 5 seed. It's cursed.
The 5-12 matchup is always the most intriguing. On one hand, you have a team that's top 25- or top top 30-worthy but probably somewhat inconsistent, going against a pretty good team that has faced the rigors of conference play and possibly a tourney and come out on top in one or both. As you move into the other pods, even the 4-13, you see the quality of both teams start to separate. You see the closest quality in the 5-12 pod always and as such, the most first (second) round upsets.

That said, I agree. Do not want!

__________________
Hype is a self-serving beast that feeds on the hopes and dreams of fans.
Botb9 is offline
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:47 AM   #25
chief78
chief78's Avatar
Location: Florida
Posts: 295
It's been said before, but I will reiterate: FSU got into the NCAA Tourny with a 6-10 conference record in 1998. So for those of you that think a 7-11 conference record is out of the question, think again, especially with the Illini's resume.
chief78 is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump