Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2/11 Games

Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1
FeelYourPaign
Unusually for a Monday, there are two good games tonight.
Both are on ESPN, back to back.
6:00 CT, Marquette at Georgetown
8:00 CT, Kansas St. at Kansas
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:35 AM   #2
CaptainHindsight
1400 WDWS is going to carry the audio for the KU vs KSU game tonight.
CaptainHindsight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:36 AM   #3
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHindsight View Post
1400 WDWS is going to carry the audio for the KU vs KSU game tonight.
I never understood why WDWS plays so many random basketball games on the radio. They carry the audio for practically every Wisconsin and Iowa game, some Kansas and Kansas State games, and some Michigan and Purdue games too. Why?

trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:38 AM   #4
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
8:00 CT, Kansas St. at Kansas
I hope Kansas stomps them. Sorry, I've seen one too many "Hey, Bruce Weber needs a look for National COTY" mentions of late.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
I never understood why WDWS plays so many random basketball games on the radio. They carry the audio for practically every Wisconsin and Iowa game, some Kansas and Kansas State games, and some Michigan and Purdue games too. Why?
Because basketball is awesome.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:45 AM   #6
BexleyIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I hope Kansas stomps them. Sorry, I've seen one too many "Hey, Bruce Weber needs a look for National COTY" mentions of late.
I agree with this. If K-State is still doing well after Frank Martin's players are gone, then I will have to admit that BW is a good coach. But not before then.
BexleyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Are they now in bed with Learfield Radio entirely or perhaps Westwood One? 670 AM up in Chicago used to play all kinds of random stuff when they were affiliated with Westwood One.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:50 AM   #8
CaptainHindsight
Quote:
WDWS has no in-house evening shows, so they just run with what ever syndicated show is on. I'd rather listen to a basketball game than money-talk, or home improvement shows, or what ever filler they have on otherwise. Plus they seem to pick games that are somewhat relevant or interesting.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:52 AM   #9
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHindsight View Post
WDWS has no in-house evening shows, so they just run with what ever syndicated show is on. I'd rather listen to a basketball game than money-talk, or home improvement shows, or what ever filler they have on otherwise. Plus they seem to pick games that are somewhat relevant or interesting.
I'm with you 100%, I was just a little baffled the other evening when I turned on the radio and heard the Kansas-Oklahoma game.

trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:53 AM   #10
FinalFour88
A Self-Weber match-up is always interesting in my book. Somehow I totally missed the first KU-KSU game this year.
FinalFour88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:01 AM   #11
CaptainHindsight
Quote:
I'm with you 100%, I was just a little baffled the other evening when I turned on the radio and heard the Kansas-Oklahoma game.
Of Course the Kansas-Oklahoma game is another match up of former Illini coaches, now that Lon Kruger is at OU.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:10 AM   #12
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
I had a sports talk radio station out of KC on during my drive to work this morning and the discussion was all about the KU/K-State game tonight.
They took a call from a K-State fan who seemed logical, but way out of touch with reality.
He actually said that he expected BW would make some adjustments after the previous matchup in Manhattan, and that would be the difference in the game for K-State.
I LOL'd.
They have no idea who their coach is. :laugh:

Adjustments.
Ha ha! Good one. :laugh:

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
A Self-Weber match-up is always interesting in my book. Somehow I totally missed the first KU-KSU game this year.
Everyone did, because it was on the "Big 12 Network."

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:16 AM   #14
VTIllini
Quote:
Not that I haven't experienced schadenfreude myself--and not just occasionally--but with Bill Self and
the Jayhawks on the other side of this particular equation, I consider you completely misguided.

Last edited by VTIllini; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
VTIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:23 AM   #15
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexleyIllini View Post
I agree with this. If K-State is still doing well after Frank Martin's players are gone, then I will have to admit that BW is a good coach. But not before then.
So you're saying BW is to be given credit for these last 2 big wins we've had? Im not sure I agree with that.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:13 PM   #16
lstewart53x3
I want our fans to be like KU's fans. That place is ROCKING.
lstewart53x3 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:14 PM   #17
sapan1030
Banned
Phog Allen is one hell of a home court. Those fans are loud. Not hard to see why Bill Self couldn't turn that down
sapan1030 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:14 PM   #18
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
Phog Allen is one hell of a home court. Those fans are loud. Not hard to see why Bill Self couldn't turn that down
They are REALLY wound up for this rivalry game
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:16 PM   #19
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post

It was on ESPN3...I watched the second half online.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:22 PM   #20
Clete1
Quote:
Spend more than 30 seconds with any Kansas fan and you will change your mind....
Clete1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:24 PM   #21
FeelYourPaign
Rooting for KSU, just because the Big 12 needs a new champion every decade.
Hard to be a real big boy conference if there is only 1 team.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:40 PM   #22
FeelYourPaign
What do you think of the cheerleaders' sunflower hair barrettes?
I'm torn between "way to honor your heritage" and "uggh, those are baaad"
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:40 PM   #23
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexleyIllini View Post
So You are saying Groce isnt yet allowed to be dubbed a good coach either then? :rolleyes:

Some of you just like to complain and complain about BW without realizing some of your complaints could go for our new coach too.

Move on, Groce is already working on his second recruiting class here, forget about Weber.

He has his team in the top 10 right now, and coached in a national title, that is enough for me to know he is a "good" coach, doesnt make him great or the right fit here. Just move on. I dont have enough time on my hands to worry about rooting against a team that is irrelevant to this program right now.
ChiCityHoops34 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:41 PM   #24
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Rooting for KSU, just because the Big 12 needs a new champion every decade.
Hard to be a real big boy conference if there is only 1 team.
I agree. I'm one of the few on here that doesn't wish ill will on Bruce Weber. Seems most think positively of Henson, Kruger, and Self. So why not BW? I hope that KSU does pull out the win. Kansas will usually get theirs so in select games I'll always root for their opponent. Their recent losing streak is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:47 PM   #25
FeelYourPaign
KU burning premium, KSU burning kerosene.
35 -16 with 5:35 to go 1st half.
Think I'll go read a book

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »