18. Marquette
19. New Mexico
20. Wisconsin
21. Notre Dame
22. Memphis
23. Oregon
24. Colorado State
25. Kentucky

Others receiving votes: Minnesota 80, Missouri 69, Cincinnati 68, Saint Mary’s (Cal) 62, Creighton 56, San Diego St. 53, Louisiana Tech 43, VCU 35, Saint Louis 34, Illinois 26, NC State 24, Akron 12, UCLA 8, UNLV 6, Indiana St. 5, Virginia 4, Wichita St. 3, Belmont 2, Mississippi 1, Oklahoma 1.

http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...tes-again.html

Illini placed at No. 35 in the country based on the # of votes received.

Last edited by trevdv; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Dan
Admin
The Rise & Fall (And Rise Again?) of Illinois in the 2012-13 AP Poll-

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
thumpasaurus
Banned
quite happy with this

i think "receiving votes" is a great validation of our previous week, but not being ranked still should keep them motivated to take care of business this week...the last time we were ranked, an unspeakable horror occurred in champaign
thumpasaurus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:28 AM   #4
trevdv
Interesting Things To Note from the AP Poll:

- Mizzou drops out of the rankings because they have yet to win a true road game in the SEC this season.
- Gonzaga receives a couple votes for the top spot, and moves into the top 5 for the first time since 2008.
- Minnesota received the most votes of teams not ranked this week, even though they've gone 2-6 in their last 8 games.
- Wisconsin is ranked for the first time this year after upsetting #3 Michigan Saturday.
- Ohio State, Kansas, Kentucky, and UNC are all not in the top 12 teams for the first time since... I don't know when!

Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:32 AM   #5
FinalFour88
Miami is riding high. And I think Gonzaga is way overrated now.

I have no problem with IU retaining their #1 spot.
FinalFour88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:35 AM   #6
trevdv
Coaches Poll:

1. Duke (18)
2. Indiana (6)
3. Gonzaga (1)
4. Miami (5)
5. Michigan (1)
6. Florida
7. Syracuse
8. Michigan State
9. Arizona
10. Butler
11. Kansas State
12. Louisville
13. Kanas
14. Ohio State
15. Georgetown
16. Oklahoma State
17. Pittsburgh
18. New Mexico
19. Wisconsin
20. Marquette
21. Notre Dame
22. San Diego State
23. Creighton
24. Colorado State
25. Memphis

Others receiving votes: Missouri 72; Oregon 63; Virginia Commonwealth 63; Cincinnati 38; Minnesota 28; Kentucky 27; Saint Marys 27; Louisiana Tech 18; Saint Louis 13; Middle Tennessee 11; Mississippi 11; Illinois 10; Akron 9; UNLV 8; Wichita State 8; UCLA 3; Stephen F. Austin 2; Belmont 1; Oklahoma 1; Virginia 1

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/polls/

Last edited by trevdv; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:48 AM   #7
trevdv
Interesting Things To Note from the Coaches Poll:

- Mizzou drops out of the rankings because they have yet to win a true road game in the SEC this season.
- Gonzaga is ranked third in the poll, despite having only two quality wins: vs. #10 KSU and @ #22 OK State.
- Five B1G teams are ranked, and seven received votes.
- Combining both voting polls, Miami received 22 first place votes. Michigan got one.
- The Hurricanes weren't even ranked in the top 25 three weeks ago, now they're almost #1.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:52 AM   #8
I Bomb
Stylin' and Profilin'
How crazy would it be if we could pump up our ranking pre-conference, and then continue to rise by simply not losing to U of Portland, Pepperdine, St. Mary's College, etc...
I sound like a broken record year after year about Gonzage, but I definitely prefer playing in a real conference.
I Bomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Leonardite
We've beaten #2, #3, #10, and #14 in the coaches poll. Crazy.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
- Minnesota received the most votes of teams not ranked this week, even though they've gone 2-6 in their last 8 games.
Ridiculous. The Tubby Factor.

Quote:
- Wisconsin is ranked for the first time this year after upsetting #3 Michigan Saturday.
Again, ridiculous. I am no Bo cRyan fan, though I respect the hell out of him as a coach. But the fact they are just now in the poll is absurd.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Warriors1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
And 1,4,5,11,13 in the AP poll
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:05 PM   #12
IlliniByProxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Again, ridiculous. I am no Bo cRyan fan, though I respect the hell out of him as a coach. But the fact they are just now in the poll is absurd.
I completely agree, there seem to be a lot of lazy voter's voting solely off W's and L's and not putting them in context.
IlliniByProxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:11 PM   #13
trevdv
Both polls are becoming more ridiculous and meaningless as time marches on. Especially the coaches poll, which is practically the most biased and pointless voting system ever.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:14 PM   #14
radiodj
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bomb View Post
How crazy would it be if we could pump up our ranking pre-conference, and then continue to rise by simply not losing to U of Portland, Pepperdine, St. Mary's College, etc...
I sound like a broken record year after year about Gonzage, but I definitely prefer playing in a real conference.
+1 There is no doubt that the Zags should be ranked, but outside of St. Mary's and BYU the conference looks to be pretty bad. I look at Gonzaga year in and year out the same way I look at Boise St. in College FB; in conference they are so far and above everyone else in teh league that they can rest their starters if they choose at halftime most games.

In a power conference, both teams would still be good, but not look like they're great.
radiodj is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:22 PM   #15
anonymousalcoholic
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
yet we have fewer votes than mississippi. ridiculous.

if these are supposed to be snapshots of the best teams week-to-week (maybe they're not), then illinois has to be in the top 25 in today's polls.

i like being ranked. it is good for total number of weeks ranked stats as part of assessing a program's success.
anonymousalcoholic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
I completely agree, there seem to be a lot of lazy voter's voting solely off W's and L's and not putting them in context.
You need to read a weekly column written by Gary Parrish at CBS called "Poll Attacks." He identifies individual voters who have cast ballots that make no sense and he explains why their ballots are totally illogical. It's great fun!

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:28 PM   #17
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Kentucky's inclusion in the AP poll is far worse, IMO.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:29 PM   #18
mdkIllini15
I'd be interested to see the correlation between those who had illinois ranked and those who voted IU #1. I'd have to imagine if you think we're good enough to be ranked you'd think losing to us on the road isn't a big deal, or vice versa
mdkIllini15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:38 PM   #19
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Kentucky's inclusion in the AP poll is far worse, IMO.
I don't know. I don't have an issue with it. Kentucky gets the benefit of any doubt right now, and deservedly so. They're definitely much better now than they were early in the year. I'll tell you what, with that talent I don't want to run into that team in the tournament.

They're 8-2 in the (admittedly weak) SEC. But they have won 5 in a row, including games on the road against Ole Miss and Texas A&M.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:39 PM   #20
pizzaman
Quote:
Both polls are becoming more ridiculous and meaningless as time marches on. Especially the coaches poll, which is practically the most biased and pointless voting system ever.
I've never placed any value on these polls beyond the top few teams (maybe top 8 or 10.) The voters can't possibly watch games of all the teams that are in the mix and even if they look at box scores (and I doubt they do) they will ultimately just end up voting the W-L record because that's as good as any of the criteria they have every week.

I think the RPI has validity. If it were me, I'd abandon all the polls and go with RPI. Maybe there's something else that's a good measure but the polls aren't it.
pizzaman is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:44 PM   #21
IlliniByProxy
Honestly at this point in the season I could care less if we get ranked the rest of the way, just get us some W's boys!

Although I will admit it would be nice to see Illinois on the final ballot of the year, trending up, rather than down for a change.
IlliniByProxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:47 PM   #22
trevdv
These are the voters that voted for Illinois to be in the top 25. The first column is the voter's name, the second is where they ranked the Illini, the third is where they ranked Indiana comparatively.

Interesting that the two journalists who voted Illinois highest were also the two that voted Indiana #1 in the country.

via http://www.pollspeak.com/
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(20.0 KB, 308 views)
  (16.9 KB, 205 views)

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:51 PM   #23
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I've never placed any value on these polls beyond the top few teams (maybe top 8 or 10.) The voters can't possibly watch games of all the teams that are in the mix and even if they look at box scores (and I doubt they do) they will ultimately just end up voting the W-L record because that's as good as any of the criteria they have every week.

I think the RPI has validity. If it were me, I'd abandon all the polls and go with RPI. Maybe there's something else that's a good measure but the polls aren't it.
After last week, I'm not sure how much validity I can put into any of the teams' ranks. IU was defeated by an unranked team and still managed to keep the #1 ranking because everyone else lost.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:53 PM   #24
trevdv
Also, to follow up on that report, the voter that ranked us highest (Jon Wilner) has the most god awful poll I've ever seen...

- Indiana; 1st
- Miami (FL); 9th
- Kansas State; 6th
- Syracuse; 12th
- North Carolina State; 17th
- Minnesota; 22nd

Minny and NC State don't even deserve to be ranked, Cuse should be higher than 12, K-State should be lower than sixth, and Miami shouldn't be as low as 9th.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:55 PM   #25
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
You need to read a weekly column written by Gary Parrish at CBS called "Poll Attacks." He identifies individual voters who have cast ballots that make no sense and he explains why their ballots are totally illogical. It's great fun!
I will have to check it out. I know that coaches have voted teams they will face higher so that they can say they beat a team that was ranked. Or had top 10 votes or stuff like that. Others just give it to an assistant and tell him to do it. If the poll faded away I would not miss it.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »