Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

News & Notes - February 12th

Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
cjcastan
ESPN Blog

Quote:
Question of the day: Is it appropriate for Illini fans to rush the Assembly Hall court if they beat Purdue on Wednesday night?

Let me answer concretely: no. This is me drawing a line. No.

No. No. No. No.

Now let us never speak of this again.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:18 AM   #2
IlliniFan1988
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
I totally agree. How about a nice "good-bye" chant if we are ahead? Or a "drive home safely" chant?
IlliniFan1988 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:23 AM   #3
SteakSandwich
What has Loren Tate been drinking latelly? The guy keeps making gaffes left and right. The News Gazette got to be getting tired of the bad press.
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
IlliniFan1988
Banned
I bet on the pregame Tate says he was being sarcastic.
IlliniFan1988 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:27 AM   #5
FinalFour88
It's odd that the question was even asked. Of course you don't rush the court after Purdue.

I still don't see why people get so annoyed by fans rushing the court in a big win. Illinois beat the #1 ranked team on a last second shot. If fans shouldn't rush the court in that situation, when can they? What's the big deal? Fans are enjoying themselves and they're very passionate and excited. The NBA wishes they had that kind of fan excitement.
FinalFour88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:30 AM   #6
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
It's odd that the question was even asked. Of course you don't rush the court after Purdue.

I still don't see why people get so annoyed by fans rushing the court in a big win. Illinois beat the #1 ranked team on a last second shot. If fans shouldn't rush the court in that situation, when can they? What's the big deal? Fans are enjoying themselves and they're very passionate and excited. The NBA wishes they had that kind of fan excitement.
Especially when we beat the #1 team on a buzzer beater. Its in the moment true excitement. Now if we were up all game or won by 7 or 8 then I can understand people griping.

Obviously you dont do it against Purdue, they arent that good. But in big games ala Indiana, I agree WHO CARES?
MikeThomas4Prez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:31 AM   #7
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Whether or not you like Tate, I'm sure he was being sarcastic. Anytime you beat the #1 team on a last second shot, you deserve to rush the court.

“It’s an admission the other team is better,” Cowherd said. How so? It's the students who rush the court due to the excitement of the game, not something the team plans in advance.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:37 AM   #8
IlliniByProxy
I've been a supporter of court rushing on this forum many times. Absolutely in no way should we rush the court against PU! I do think Tate asked the question in jest for what it's worth.
IlliniByProxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:49 AM   #9
IlliniByProxy
Maybe next year Krush should have a mandatory court storm after every win. Let it be a sarcastic demonstration of how ridiculous it is that grown men debate the actions of charged up (intoxicated) 20 year olds.

Obviously, I think that is a horrible idea but I bet it would get us some press.
IlliniByProxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:50 AM   #10
kcib8130
WIU alum
I thought that rushing the court after beating #1 on Thursday night was the most appropriate court-storming I had seen in a long time.

Meanwhile, Miami rushed the court after beating Duke by 30. I didn't really see the point in that. It happens too much anymore.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:56 AM   #11
AEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
Maybe next year Krush should have a mandatory court storm after every win. Let it be a sarcastic demonstration of how ridiculous it is that grown men debate the actions of charged up (intoxicated) 20 year olds.

Obviously, I think that is a horrible idea but I bet it would get us some press.
I'd like to see a Zombie storming of the court, which would be less "storming" and more unrhythmic shuffling. I think the pace would well emphasize the implied sarcasm.
AEX is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 AM   #12
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakSandwich View Post
What has Loren Tate been drinking latelly? The guy keeps making gaffes left and right. The News Gazette got to be getting tired of the bad press.
He led off the article with a rhetorical question and then proceeded to talk about Cowherd's comments. He never once tries to justify rushing after Purdue. Sure, he could have started with "When is it all right to rush the court?" Instead, he gave a real life scenario to enter the discussion.

I suppose I have my problems with Tate. But some of the criticisms are just so ridiculous. This wasn't a gaffe. It was writing.
DG1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:58 AM   #13
CaptainHindsight
all we need is a rock-chalk-jay-hawk chant. problem solved.
CaptainHindsight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:06 AM   #14
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcib8130 View Post
I thought that rushing the court after beating #1 on Thursday night was the most appropriate court-storming I had seen in a long time.

Meanwhile, Miami rushed the court after beating Duke by 30. I didn't really see the point in that. It happens too much anymore.
This! I am normally an "act like you have been there" type guy, but the storming of the court against Indiana was about as deserving a court storming as there is.

I think we should storm the court in Evanston after beating Northwestern next weekend.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:11 AM   #15
cjcastan
I rushed the field at Memorial Stadium when we beat MTSU in 98 to break the 17 game losing streak lol:laugh:

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:13 AM   #16
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Late View Post
This! I am normally an "act like you have been there" type guy, but the storming of the court against Indiana was about as deserving a court storming as there is.
Agreed. I think it is nearly always tired and silly looking. That said, if you could draw up the ideal situation where it was totally warranted "Beating your nemesis on a buzzer beater when they are #1" is pretty much it.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:13 AM   #17
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
I rushed the field at Memorial Stadium when we beat MTSU in 98 to break the 17 game losing streak lol:laugh:
OrangeAndBlue217 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:24 AM   #18
txillini
I just hope the students don't see this and think, "challenge accepted!"
txillini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:40 AM   #19
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakSandwich View Post
The Gazette has no shame, it's a poorly run company these days as well.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:41 AM   #20
Botb9
Realist
Tate was being tongue-in-cheek with Cowherd's comments. Cowherd says they shouldn't storm the court because it admits that they are/were better than you. Well, from a logic standpoint, that means you SHOULD rush the court for teams that are clearly better than you, and Purdue has been the last few years since they've won 8 straight.

Clearly, Cowherd is saying he doesn't like court-rushing at all, but his logic in supporting that argument left him open to some hits, I think.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:42 AM   #21
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcib8130 View Post

Agreed. And look at the circumstances of our program right now. That win could very easily be a turning point for the program.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:20 AM   #22
Illini2016
My response to Loren Tate: http://www.hark.com/clips/jhhjwdvjcp-boozing

Class of 2016
Illini2016 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:32 AM   #23
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHindsight View Post
all we need is a rock-chalk-jay-hawk chant. problem solved.
You are dismissed. Turn in all your gear on the way out the door.

btw- there will be no court storming after blowing out PU.
wpr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:33 AM   #24
pizzaman
I think fans should take the court after every game win or lose. Some fans should be naked. Just don't jump on the team or band. I like fan anarchy!
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:35 AM   #25
UIUC1867
I would settle for chanting "Boiler Down" repeatedly while showing thumbs down.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »