Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

John Groce press conference & player interviews (2/12)

Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Live video:

http://www.fightingillini.com/allaccess/?media=349451
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Thanks, Rob McColley!

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce: Purdue got us the first time, beat us on a lot of toughness plays.

Groce: D.J. Byrd got them on toughness and made a lot of winning plays for Boilers down the stretch.

Groce: Defense is getting better, still got some correctable errors, making progress on that.

Groce: The majority of the year they've made a lot of toughness play. Last four minutes at Purdue is where Purdue got them.

Groce: Purdue has always played with great toughness, Matt Painter gets a lot out of his guys.

Groce: Wants guys to be themselves, but D.J. Richardson stands out as the guy who's been tough for Illinois.

Groce: Happy for D.J. Richardson, he works hard and he's a great kid.

Groce: Coaches have stayed positive with the players even through the tough times. 18- 22-year-olds are resilient.

Groce: Just because there were losses didn't mean they played bad, and when winning doesn't necessarily mean playing well.

Groce: Teams that focus on getting better every day at the end of the year are the teams that get better.

Groce: When Griffey was 0 for 22, told him to keep shooting. Was hurting them defensively for a while, but he's stepped up.

Groce: Griffey has graded out defensively almost double what it was in the pre-Big Ten schedule.

Groce: Has maintained a good attitude through shooting struggles. Confidence is higher now that shots are falling.

Groce: Today is practice 100 including the summer. Guys have had great attitude.

Groce: Sam McLaurin had the highest grade out in his six-plus years for a guy who played 20 or more minutes in a game.

Groce: The Illinois players gave McLaurin a standing ovation when they announced defensive grades from Minnesota game.

Groce: Sam does all little things, diving, blocking out, etc., guys respect his for that.

Groce: Doesn't watch much basketbal outside of film. Usually spends time with his two boys and wife at home.

Groce: Everything is new for these guys the last eight months, it's like having 14 freshmen and they're getting it more now.

Groce: Rayvonte Rice will be ahead of the curve next season based on having been here all season despite not playing.

Groce: Rayvonte has the capability to do that, we'll see if he can be a go-to guy.

Groce: On D.J. Richardson, that kid cares at a high level. Ain't trading him for anybody.

http://twitter.com/MarcusJ_NG
Quote:
Groce: Got a big one tomorrow against Purdue. They got us the first time. Beat us on a lot of toughness plays, esp at end of game

Groce: We've got to be better in those areas. No one wants to be out-toughed, certainly in your own building

Groce: Defense getting better, still making correctable errors. Offense improving, sharing the ball better. Improvement due to trust

Groce: The majority of the year we've made a lot of toughness plays, didn't make enough during last 4 minutes at Purdue.

Groce: Purdue's always played with great toughness. Matt gets a lot out of guys. They fight really hard.

Groce: Richardson stands out as a tough player. "He's playing at a really high level right now" offensively and defensively.

Groce: No key for Richardson's hot shooting. Just kept doing what he's doing. He's going to continue to shoot. He's stayed with it.

Groce: Kids can forgive and forget faster than what coaches do. Staff also does great job of keeping in moment, staying positive

Groce: People assume because you lose, you're not getting better. Not true. No question last six games, team's dramatically improved

Groce: Griffey had been hurting them defensively, probably focused on offense. His defensive grade almost doubled recently

Groce: Griffey's had a good attitude. "I don't do bad days." Confidence may be a better word. You get rewarded for working hard

Groce: I don't do Eeyores. I do Tiggers. (awesome)

Groce: Sam had the highest grade out of any player I've coached of a guy that's played 20 or minutes a game.

Groce: Guys darn near gave McLaurin a standing ovation.

Groce: Guys on team respect McLaurin. Adds physical, hard things. It's what winners do. He's a winner.

Groce: Almost impossible to defend A.J. Hammons when he gets deep position. He's just continuing to get better. He's tough to defend

Groce: Takes time for players, even experienced ones, to learn new system. Contniued to stay with it, growing mroe comfortable

Groce: Rayvonte Rice has learned two positions during the year. Having year to learn it should be huge advantage for him next year

Groce on if Rice can be go-to guy: "We'll see. We're going to need someone to be. ...I think he has the capability to do that."

Groce on Richardson: "That kid cares at a high level. I ain't trading him for anybody."

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Groce: Rayvonte Rice has learned two positions during the year. Having year to learn it should be huge advantage for him next year
Is there any difference between the 2 and 3 in this system?

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:35 PM   #5
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
I would think ball handling would be different, just b/c at times it seems the 2 will bring the ball up the court and distribute as well.
PaytonHighstep is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
PeoriaChief
Quote:
Maybe he's learning to 2/3 and the 1. He does like to attack off the dribble and in that scrimmage pic he's being guarded by Tracy. Idk never thought about him playing 1 until now, still don't see it though.
PeoriaChief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Dan
Admin

Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Dan
Admin

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
The 2 in JG's O is the primary catch and shoot 3-pt marksman, shooting treys primarily off kickouts from the 1 and 3 and ball reversals. He can also get his shot off the dribble but isn't looked to do that very often. That's the role DJ is filling. The 3 is looked to be the secondary playmaker after the 1 and handles the ball more with more responsibilities to drive and create for himself and others. It's the role Walter Offutt played under JG at Ohio. BP has that role with UI.
HeartofaChampion is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
The 2 in JG's O is the primary catch and shoot 3-pt marksman, shooting treys primarily off kickouts from the 1 and 3 and ball reversals. He can also get his shot off the dribble but isn't looked to do that very often. That's the role DJ is filling. The 3 is looked to be the secondary playmaker after the 1 and handles the ball more with more responsibilities to drive and create for himself and others. It's the role Walter Offutt played under JG at Ohio. BP has that role with UI.
With that in mind, Rice does not seem to fit the mold of a 2.
However, I think things will be quite a bit different next year mainly due to the difference in personnel.
A lot of the offensive schemes will need to be adapted.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:55 AM   #11
douglascountyillinifan
Coach

I <heart> John Groce and the fact that he's been steadfastly positive. Every time I hear one of his pressers I want to find someone to set a hard screen on.
douglascountyillinifan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:30 AM   #12
ctblaisdell83
I loved the part where he said Sam McL graded out higher on D in the Minny game than any other player ever in Groce's HC tenure (last 6 years)...this against one of the toughest frontcourts in the B1G.

That is an accomplishment. And I hope he breaks his own record against Purdont

ctblaisdell83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:40 AM   #13
WARDFORTHREE
"I don't do bad days...go to the locker room and have a talk with themselves and come back out a tigger..." This guy is awesome!
WARDFORTHREE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:49 AM   #14
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglascountyillinifan View Post
I <heart> John Groce and the fact that he's been steadfastly positive. Every time I hear one of his pressers I want to find someone to set a hard screen on.
Exactly. Particularly with this group I think his consistently positive message has been very effective. Other groups may need a slightly different emphasis depending on their personalities and their group dynamics. I certainly expect the motivational aspect to be a key to his success along with his ability as a recruiter (the two probably being related in his case).
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »