Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

News & Notes - February 13th

Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illini look to spoil Boilers domination

"We've got a big one with Purdue," Illini coach John Groce warned Tuesday.

Groce knew the season would get rough once Big Ten play began and that point was driven home loud and clear in the conference opener Jan. 2 in West Lafayette, Ind. Purdue turned a one-possession game into a 68-61 victory when D.J. Byrd made back-to-back hustle plays that stood out as difference-makers.

"They beat us on toughness plays," Groce said. "We have to do better in those areas. No one wants to be out-toughed, certainly in our own building."

Tupper
Quote:
Big man Sam McLaurin grading out with the Illini

"I'm always the guy who is trying to get us out of a bad situation," McLaurin said.

Richardson earned Big Ten co-player of the week Monday after scoring eight straight points to rally the Illini late against the Hoosiers. Forward Tyler Griffey, who was replaced by McLaurin in the starting lineup, ended a shooting slump and scored a team-high 16 points at Minnesota.

But McLaurin earned an ovation from his teammates, coach John Groce said, in a locker-room meeting after scoring the highest of any player in Groce's coaching career on the defensive hustle stats.

Supinie
Quote:
Griffey's shots finally dropping as Illini rise

"Slowly but surely I'm gaining more confidence," Griffey said, "and it's translated to the games."

Shannon Ryan
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
bleedsorangenblue
Nice to see the recognition for good play get spread around and have the guys buy in to it. The best teams do not defer to their stars but, as warranted, the other way around. Seems that this year's Illini are starting to get it.
bleedsorangenblue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:53 AM   #3
IlliniRyan13
The last time it beat Purdue in basketball, the Illinois box score included names like Jeff Jordan and Alex Legion.

IlliniRyan13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Dan
Admin
Tal Brody's jersey will be raised to the Assembly Hall rafters in a ceremony during the Illinois-Purdue game

Quote:
Brody still benefiting from leap of faith

They gasp when Brody, who was drafted by the Baltimore Bullets after an All-America season at Illinois in 1965, explains the average NBA salary when he came out was $30,000, maybe $40,000. The minimum was $12,000.

"Today, the average salary is about $5 million," the 69-year-old Brody said. "Maybe if it was today, you're the 12th pick in the NBA, $2.7 million, no-cut contract, I probably make a different decision."

The choice he made changed his life -- and the way of life and thinking throughout Israel.

Marcus Jackson
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5
carmelillini
Would love to be in the Hall tonight to see the Illini I first started watching....Downey, Brody, Thoren, Redman, Freeman. Still remember Tom Schoendist (sp) broadcasting these legendary names on WCIA.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:55 AM   #6
illini ri0t
Banned
I like the play of our seniors the last few games. I'd like to see JB get a little more active offensively, as well as more bench players getting involved. MH, DL, MS, I'm talking to you!!
illini ri0t is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:08 AM   #7
carmelillini
Would like to see Brandon join the Tyler and DJ revival tour tonight. Need all three to bring it to beat the Boilers.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:11 AM   #8
sapan1030
Banned
I know this might offend some people, especially the older fans who probably have great memories of some of the teams of the past, but I feel like Illinois just puts wayyyyy too many jerseys up in the rafters. There have been very few Illini who have gone on to have success at the next level, yet there seems to be at least 20+ jerseys hanging from the AH ceiling. Even schools like UCONN, UCLA, and UK probably don't have that many hanging. I just feel like it should be more selective
sapan1030 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Botb9
Realist
A lot of the jersey-hanging the last few years has been a way to reconnect with those Illini and fans who may have left the program behind during the struggle of the last few years. I don't remember a time when so many jerseys were hung in a single season. Seems like every home game someone is being honored now.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Railsplitter
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Would love to be in the Hall tonight to see the Illini I first started watching....Downey, Brody, Thoren, Redman, Freeman. Still remember Tom Schoendist (sp) broadcasting these legendary names on WCIA.
Hey Carmel, thats me too. Those were good days. BTW do you remember the high school team from Cobden ? I still remember those guys getting to Champaign from a tiny so. Ill. town.
Railsplitter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:54 AM   #11
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
A lot of the jersey-hanging the last few years has been a way to reconnect with those Illini and fans who may have left the program behind during the struggle of the last few years. I don't remember a time when so many jerseys were hung in a single season. Seems like every home game someone is being honored now.
I think it's been good that they are honoring players wou have contributed in big way off the court (Mannie Jackson / Brody).

It helps educate younger fans like myself that there were great players / people before the Flying Illini and the rich history of Illinois Basketball.

I mean as long as were not raising banners for like Nate Mast or Nick Smith (no offense to those guys) I'm for it.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:29 PM   #12
AzIlliniFan
Are they retiring these numbers? Or just honoring the names. I know some schools never retire a number but hang jerseys in recognition of their accomplishments. As long as they aren't retiring numbers I don't see it as a big deal. Perhaps MT is just using these to help generate interest and the jersey hanging will slack off in the next couple years.
AzIlliniFan is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
Are they retiring these numbers? Or just honoring the names. I know some schools never retire a number but hang jerseys in recognition of their accomplishments. As long as they aren't retiring numbers I don't see it as a big deal. Perhaps MT is just using these to help generate interest and the jersey hanging will slack off in the next couple years.
It is jersey retirement, not number retirement.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:36 PM   #14
carmelillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Hey Carmel, thats me too. Those were good days. BTW do you remember the high school team from Cobden ? I still remember those guys getting to Champaign from a tiny so. Ill. town.
Cobden was a little before my time. But I was in the Hall for Danville (alma mater) vs. Thornridge. Buckner, Batts, etc. was the best HS team I've ever seen.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:38 PM   #15
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
I know this might offend some people, especially the older fans who probably have great memories of some of the teams of the past, but I feel like Illinois just puts wayyyyy too many jerseys up in the rafters. There have been very few Illini who have gone on to have success at the next level, yet there seems to be at least 20+ jerseys hanging from the AH ceiling. Even schools like UCONN, UCLA, and UK probably don't have that many hanging. I just feel like it should be more selective
Hanging a jersey in the Hall has zero to do with success at the next level. I also could care less what UConn, UK, UCLA or any other U has done or is doing.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:48 PM   #16
wpr
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSteve View Post
Hanging a jersey in the Hall has zero to do with success at the next level. I also could care less what UConn, UK, UCLA or any other U has done or is doing.
exactly.
wpr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:26 PM   #17
HeartofaChampion
I saw Brody play a couple of times at UI when I was in grade school. My dad was a huge fan of his and Downey's during that time. Man, was that a long time ago.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:32 PM   #18
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr View Post
exactly.
Actually, it should be "couldn't care less".
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:41 PM   #19
WinOrElse
Quote:
No Illini basketball number has ever been retired. In fact, only three numbers in Illini history have ever been retired: Red Grange(77) and Dick Butkus(50) in football and Lou Boudreau(5) in baseball.
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:50 PM   #20
WinOrElse
Quote:
Well, I sure remember Cobden. We lived in Decatur at the time (1964) and Stephen Decatur HS is who Cobden beat that year in the state semi-final game. I was ten and my older brother was a senior at SDHS. Hated them at the time but it sure is a good story.

Anyone remember the district tournaments back then where the tiny schools would play just to get into the regional? Cobden and Hebron are the only district schools to ever reach the championship game, Hebron winning the title back in 1952. Oddly enough, Hebron is up on the Wisconsin border and Cobden is about as far south as you can get.
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
pizzaman
Quote:
I forgot they existed but when I read your post I thought "oh yea, the
Cobden Appleknockers." I'm not even sure I've associated the right nickname with the right school. Anybody know?
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:34 PM   #22
Big Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
I saw Brody play a couple of times at UI when I was in grade school. My dad was a huge fan of his and Downey's during that time. Man, was that a long time ago.

Just wish someone would get Skip Thoren to teach NE how to shoot a foot shot. Learned how to shot it watching him when he was IL.. Must under utilized shot in college BB.. Lord Kareem could put up hooks from 15 ft better than most can shoot a jump shot and you can not block it.
Big Jack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:35 PM   #23
chiefhaunting
Just checked this with google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I forgot they existed but when I read your post I thought "oh yea, the
Cobden Appleknockers." I'm not even sure I've associated the right nickname with the right school. Anybody know?
Seems to be correct http://www.amazingappleknockers.com/
chiefhaunting is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:37 PM   #24
orange julius
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
This is a marketing thing as much as anything else. They have been paying attention to the way the Chicago Blackhawks market themselves - and they are always having ex-players come back for a pre-game celebration. It also creates excitement for people attending the game, and emphasizes the tradition of the program.
orange julius is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:39 PM   #25
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRyan13 View Post
The last time it beat Purdue in basketball, the Illinois box score included names like Jeff Jordan and Alex Legion.

The last time we beat Purdue in basketball, John Groce probably still had hair
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »