Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament mock selection exercise

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:28 AM   #1
GBPillini
Quote:
Headed to NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis tomorrow for a 2-day mock Tourney selection committee seminar. Will be tweeting throughout.

https://twitter.com/AdamHogeCBS/stat...42060241821696
If you look through Adam Hoge of CBS's twitter timeline for the last 20 hours, he is currenlty part of a mock selection committe and he is tweeting about the whole proccess. Yesterday was mostly about selecting the teams that got it and now today more about seeding those teams. A lot of talk about Illinois in there also.

Quote:
Yes. Illinois is by far the most polarizing team we have evaluated so far. RT @WernerESPNCU: Just for seeding purposes?
Quote:
I repeat: the #Illini are a No. 5 seed.

https://twitter.com/AdamHogeCBS/stat...39109891338240
GBPillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:33 AM   #2
AzIlliniFan
A 5 seed would be soooo sweet! Funny how a team not even ranked can be considered a 5 seed though.

Last edited by AzIlliniFan; Feb 15, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:37 AM   #3
solbur2
Banned
Seth Davis was with the committee yesterday and today and if the season ended today they put illinois at a 5 seed! https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops
solbur2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:40 AM   #4
MTMinded
Fatigued
My one wish at the beginning o the season was to make the touney...although nothing is guaranteed, I am confident we will make it.

With that said, the only seeds I do not want are 8/9....and even those I'll take. The way this team plays, when it is on, it doesn't matter the seed. You have to play what is in front of you and when we play "tough and together" (to be cheesey) we can beat just about anyone.
MTMinded is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by solbur2 View Post
Seth Davis was with the committee yesterday and today and if the season ended today they put illinois at a 5 seed! https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops
I know people dread the 5-12 matchup, but I would be ecstatic with a 5 seed.
MikeThomas4Prez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:45 AM   #6
IlliniByProxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
I know people dread the 5-12 matchup, but I would be ecstatic with a 5 seed.
I would agree if it were any year but this year. You could potentially have Kentucky or North Carolina as a 12 this year. That's a scary matchup for any 5 seed.
IlliniByProxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:47 AM   #7
mdonsbach
I highly doubt Illinois comes even close to that but don't get me wrong I'd take it!

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:51 AM   #8
MTMinded
Fatigued
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
I would agree if it were any year but this year. You could potentially have Kentucky or North Carolina as a 12 this year. That's a scary matchup for any 5 seed.

Scary by name, but not how they've played this year. I would love to beat NC or UK. Especially on national TV with all of those recruits watching.
MTMinded is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:51 AM   #9
kcib8130
WIU alum
Quote:
North Carolina should not even be in the discussion for the tournament. standing 5th in the weak ACC, only signature win is vs UNLV at home. Ridiculous how easy the blue bloods have it. Just handed berths.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:52 AM   #10
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
I know they're different bracketologies, but Lunardi has the 12 seeds being UVA/Indiana St, Cal/St. Marys, Belmont, and Middle Tenn. I think any seed could lead to a tough matchup. With the parity in CBB this year no matchup, except probably the 1-16, is safe.

FWIW Lunardi has us as a 10 playing San Diego St.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:53 AM   #11
FredrickFremont
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
I highly doubt Illinois comes even close to that but don't get me wrong I'd take it!
Why do you doubt that? Isn't this mock-up supposed to be, like, a mock-up, a simulation, etc.?

Are you predicting losses to N'Western and PSU?
FredrickFremont is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
mdonsbach
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrickFremont View Post
Why do you doubt that? Isn't this mock-up supposed to be, like, a mock-up, a simulation, etc.?

Are you predicting losses to N'Western and PSU?
When was the last time from any power conference with a 9-9 record been a 5 seed. I think the highest has been a 7 seed.

Now if we get to 10-8 and say make it to the finals of the BTT then yeah I could see a 5 seed.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:58 AM   #13
PointGuardU01
Quote:
You have to look at what we've accomplished compared to other teams. It's not a stretch at all.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:01 AM   #14
MikeThomas4Prez
I think a 5 seed is possible, but Id like to see who they put at 6 and 7 before I judge if its realistic or not.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:03 AM   #15
GBPillini
Quote:
I think a 5 seed is possible, but Id like to see who they put at 6 and 7 before I judge if its realistic or not.
Quote:
No. 6 seeds: Ohio State, Marquette, Oklahoma and Oregon

https://twitter.com/AdamHogeCBS/stat...43371014791168

No. 7 seeds: Colorado, North Carolina State, Colorado State, Cincinnati.

https://twitter.com/AdamHogeCBS/stat...43504519507968
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:04 AM   #16
DMan42
Quote:
When was the last time from any power conference with a 9-9 record been a 5 seed. I think the highest has been a 7 seed.

Now if we get to 10-8 and say make it to the finals of the BTT then yeah I could see a 5 seed.
Well, if we finish 10-8 in the Big Ten, that means we had an overall record of 23-9 at the end of the regular season, with wins over Butler, Gonzaga, Indiana, Minnesota, and either Michigan or Ohio St. on the road (or both). Plus two more wins in the conference tournament (one of which would be quality win).

I'm guessing we would be higher than a 5 seed.
DMan42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:04 AM   #17
BexleyIllini
My dream is to play K-State at some point in the tourney, and then smash them like we did to Purdue. A Weber ejection would be the icing on the cake.

BexleyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:06 AM   #18
DrewD007
I'm kind of weird, but I'd rather have an 6 seed. Although I think we could beat a #1 seed, I'd rather wait as long as possible to face one.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:07 AM   #19
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexleyIllini View Post
My dream is to play K-State at some point in the tourney, and then smash them like we did to Purdue. A Weber ejection would be the icing on the cake.

I want nothing to do with KSU.

And thanks GBP. I think ohio St. will get a higher ranking, but after seeing those I can see a 5 seed as long as we finish 9-9 in conference
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:08 AM   #20
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
I'm kind of weird, but I'd rather have an 6 seed. Although I think we could beat a #1 seed, I'd rather wait as long as possible to face one.
Let's just win 5 of the last 6 and get a 3 seed then!
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:09 AM   #21
mdonsbach
Quote:
I want nothing to do with KSU.

And thanks GBP. I think ohio St. will get a higher ranking, but after seeing those I can see a 5 seed as long as we finish 9-9 in conference
I agree. I see to much too lose and too little to gain with playing KSU.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:09 AM   #22
pizzaman
After the top 6-8 teams, its a complete toss up. How can anyone really say the the Illini are better or worse than Marquette, Oklahoma, Oregon, Colorado, Cincinnati etc. There's virtually no overlap of schedule or competition. The Illini should be rewarded for who they beat and the strength of schedule and punished for some of their losses. Without a couple bad losses the Illini might realistically be looking at a 3 seed.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:10 AM   #23
GBPillini
Quote:
Illini Given No. 5 Seed In Mock Tournament Selection

Twenty media members make up the mock selection committee in Indianopilis, putting together a bracket as if the season ended today. The process will not be complete until later Friday afternoon, but the field is slowly being filled out.

Illinois has by far been the most polarizing team when it comes to seeding. The Illini have two of the most impressive wins in the field — at Gonzaga, vs Indiana — but they also have bad losses to Northwestern at home and Purdue on the road. Ultimately, the road win over Gonzaga has been a huge boost the committee can’t ignore and driven Illinois up the seeding list.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...ent-selection/
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:11 AM   #24
FredrickFremont
Banned
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPillini View Post
No. 6 seeds: Ohio State, Marquette, Oklahoma and Oregon

https://twitter.com/AdamHogeCBS/stat...43371014791168

No. 7 seeds: Colorado, North Carolina State, Colorado State, Cincinnati.

https://twitter.com/AdamHogeCBS/stat...43504519507968
Judgement?: I think pretty realistic, no?
FredrickFremont is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:12 AM   #25
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrickFremont View Post
Judgement?: I think pretty realistic, no?
see above

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »