Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

Article Published in Daily Illini

Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Warriors1994
Anybody see this article written by a U of I student about athletes? Illini Athletes are not happy about this article and voicing their opinions of Renee Wunderlich on twitter. Some have invited her to follow them around for the day

http://www.dailyillini.com/opinion/c...a4bcf6878.html
Warriors1994 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Anybody see this article written by a U of I student about athletes? Illini Athletes are not happy about this article and voicing their opinions of Renee Wunderlich on twitter. Some have invited her to follow them around for the day

I read it earlier today. Was surprised someone wrote it, and it was obviously gonna cause some trouble. Do I think athletes get some perks that regular students don't, well yeah. But it never bothered me while I was a student there. And it isnt necessarily academic perks either.

She really doesn't do herself much justice by not giving a lot of examples. Her key example is Irwin, which is not that spectacular having been there a few times. Other things such as merchandise are to be expected.

Last edited by MikeThomas4Prez; Feb 19, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
MikeThomas4Prez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:23 PM   #3
mdonsbach
Student Athletes add value to the university that other students don't. Just like in business the more value you add to the company the more you are compensated.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Wokker
Poorly written article with a vague point at best.

Basically this particular student is whining about the fact that no one MAKES her go to tutoring or computer labs, and she is bitter because she can't go to Irwin.

She even admits that the same services are located all over campus (20+ locations). Also, something about student athletes living longer because they're forced to exercise (dur).

Not the DI's finest work. I'm ashamed for any athlete who actually gets upset over this.
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:44 PM   #5
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Response from an athlete
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:01 PM   #6
mattcoldagelli
As someone who churned out some really poorly written columns for the DI.....I still feel compelled to point out how poorly written this is.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Dan
Admin
#JealousRenee
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:19 PM   #8
mdkIllini15
This girl must be out of her mind. I can't remember the last time I thought athletes had it easy. I have a hard enough time trying to balance an engineering curriculum, managing a small RSO, and simply attending Illini sporting events. With the amount of work a D1 sport requires it's hard to imagine piling school on top of it. As for the 35 brave souls who chose to pursue engineering as well, bravo.
mdkIllini15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Those tweets are a much better read than the article itself.
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:26 PM   #10
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
I tutored engineering student-athletes at Irwin for a couple of semesters. Most of the sessions were late evenings or weekend afternoons. Those kids work their butts off, I can tell you first-hand. Honestly, most people at Illinois find a way to be involved in something or another, and learning to balance other activities with school is part of what you gain. Why someone would see the facilities the athletes get as an issue worthy of an opinions column is kind of beyond me - there are tons of resources available for any students who need help with academics. If you want free stuff, join Illini Pride and go to some games, I must have gotten 50 free items and a few hundred bucks in gift cards from 4 years of going to Olympic sports!

Last edited by danielb927; Feb 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:31 PM   #11
jrichisamazing
What is she going to say when college athletes start getting paid...it's going to happen eventually. NCAA just has to figure out a good method of how to pay them.
jrichisamazing is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:39 PM   #12
mdkIllini15
Also for anyone that doesn't know, the iBook she is complaining about paying for is given out free to all students. I'm sure if she really wanted to she could get 3 or 4
mdkIllini15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:45 PM   #13
IlliniFan85
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
This response had me laughing.
IlliniFan85 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#JealousRenee would be an intern at WCIA smh makes sense

http://twitter.com/Scheelhaase2
Quote:
Was really disappointed to find out @Scheelhaase2 blocked me on twitter. Not sure what that was about...

http://twitter.com/AaronB_WCIA
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:19 AM   #15
KansasIllini
At this point, I'm just curious to see what the token follow up/apology column is going to be like...
KansasIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:32 AM   #16
CardiacIllini3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasIllini View Post
At this point, I'm just curious to see what the token follow up/apology column is going to be like...
The rebuttal:

http://www.dailyillini.com/sports/co...9bb30f31a.html
CardiacIllini3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:05 AM   #17
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
She has taken a beating for writing such an uninformed piece, and rightfully so. It's too bad that many people have been so vicious, though, because this is a teachable moment. I wrote her a long e-mail explaining how playing a major-college schedule battered my GPA in college. Many others have written to her with the same message. I hope some of it gets through to her. We'll see. I'm guessing that there will soon be a follow-up column.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:31 AM   #18
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
She has taken a beating for writing such an uninformed piece, and rightfully so. It's too bad that many people have been so vicious, though, because this is a teachable moment. I wrote her a long e-mail explaining how playing a major-college schedule battered my GPA in college. Many others have written to her with the same message. I hope some of it gets through to her. We'll see. I'm guessing that there will soon be a follow-up column.
Many just don't realize that being a student-athlete is essentially a full-time job where you aren't compensated for it. Still more others don't understand how many student-athletes don't have scholarships. Clearly this girl was referring to those athletes, but it wasn't stated as such, and it's obvious from the Twitter beating this girl received that athletes are sensitive about this kind of misinformation. I would be too if it was me.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:35 AM   #19
SixthandWhite

Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:44 AM   #20
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
I just saw a video where Renee was interviewed for being an RA at Bromley.

Where she got FREE PERKS.

http://youtu.be/wf9rqHu8llo
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:49 AM   #21
Symmooth
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post

Jeez, besides the questionable premise, how did the author manage to pass Rhetoric 101?

Example: "as I noticed my one friend"

I don't think she'll be taking Tupper's job. LOL
Symmooth is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:04 PM   #22
classof2016
Why would Scheelhaase block the WCIA guy..? He's the QB of the football team, he should honestly not take this too hard. The article was a piece of crap and all Illinois athletes should be insulted by it, but why are faces of programs like BJ Futrell and Scheelhaase leading the backlash? Seems over-sensitive to me, especially since it's a lame article by a writer who is obviously not very talented.
classof2016 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:12 PM   #23
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by classof2016 View Post
Why would Scheelhaase block the WCIA guy..? He's the QB of the football team, he should honestly not take this too hard. The article was a piece of crap and all Illinois athletes should be insulted by it, but why are faces of programs like BJ Futrell and Scheelhaase leading the backlash? Seems over-sensitive to me, especially since it's a lame article by a writer who is obviously not very talented.
Hmm. It may be because WCIA posted an article about Scheelhaase's father being accused of criminal trespass. (I don't believe the News-Gazette / IlliniHQ published the story.)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:13 PM   #24
The Galloping Ghost 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Student Athletes add value to the university that other students don't. Just like in business the more value you add to the company the more you are compensated.
The athletes need the students more than the students need the athletes. The students add more value to the University than the athletes. No students, no university.
The Galloping Ghost 77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:08 PM   #25
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Galloping Ghost 77 View Post
The athletes need the students more than the students need the athletes. The students add more value to the University than the athletes. No students, no university.
The entire SEC (sans Vanderbilt) might disagree with you
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »