Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Cornerbacks coach Steve Clinkscale headed to Cincinnati

Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:36 PM   #1
KJKobs
https://twitter.com/RyanEasterling
Quote:
Illinois DB coach Steve Clinkscale will be moving on to coach in a different program next year.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:37 PM   #2
quhawks12
Headed to Cincinnatti.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
BigStan97
this is crazy how many coaches have moved on and new faces have come in only after one year.
BigStan97 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:49 PM   #4
BZuppke
Now I'm finally starting to wonder. Each move has been rationalized in one way or another and I've mostly bought it. Leaving for Cincinnatti? The phrase leaving a sinking ship comes to mind. Tell me I'm wrong.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:52 PM   #5
cmore
At risk of sounding like a drama queen, but the football program seems to be in shambles.
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:53 PM   #6
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
Now I'm finally starting to wonder. Each move has been rationalized in one way or another and I've mostly bought it. Leaving for Cincinnatti? The phrase leaving a sinking ship comes to mind. Tell me I'm wrong.
You're not wrong; I agree. This program seems to be very much so 'in shambles.'

Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Groundhogday
Wow. Beckman gave Clink his start. This is a big shock.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:09 PM   #8
trevdv
Ouch. The more I think about it, the more this hurts...ouch.

Gonzalez? "Encouraged" to leave.

Butkus? "Encouraged" to leave.

Clinkscale? Beckman's "guy" that left on his own. Uh oh.

Last edited by trevdv; Feb 19, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Juice
I don't think there's any way you can say our football program is looking up or has the potential to. Who knows what's going on.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:27 PM   #10
TEYPAY
QU - where are you - what is your thoughts?
TEYPAY is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:36 PM   #11
apett8
Well I'd guess we end up with an entirely new coaching staff after this year anyway (barring some sort of miracle), so its now rather than later, I suppose.
apett8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:51 PM   #12
carmelillini
Something is rotten in Denmark.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:52 PM   #13
NorthwesternIllini4
This is not comforting in the least.

I hate to sound melodramatic, but our football program is hemorrhaging big-time, and it appears there's nothing we can do to stop the bleeding. Beckman appears to be running out of answers, and Thomas can't fire him because that would effectively pull the plug on our nearly comatose program.

I didn't expect us to win more than 2 games next year, but at least show material progress and the building of an identity. It's incredibly hard to do that when you bring the wrong coaching personnel in at so many critical positions. Hopefully he'll get this turned around, but things look pretty bleak
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:15 PM   #14
trevdv
I blame this on Jealous Renee.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:18 PM   #15
Groundhogday
So how does Beckman possibly spin this. Now he is left with 2 coaches from his Toledo staff, Ward and Golesh, and 4 of 9 assistant coaches from his Year 1 staff at Illinois (Ward, Golesh, Salem, and Banks.) This might really be unprecedented for a high major program. Beckman is making the Brewster train wreck at Minnesota look like a model of stability.

I could see a light at the end of the tunnel if he was clearing the deck to bring in better coaches, as we say after the 2009 season, but the new hires are primarily guys with no other options. I'm stunned.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:26 PM   #16
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
So how does Beckman possibly spin this. Now he is left with 2 coaches from his Toledo staff, Ward and Golesh, and 4 of 9 assistant coaches from his Year 1 staff at Illinois (Ward, Golesh, Salem, and Banks.) This might really be unprecedented for a high major program. Beckman is making the Brewster train wreck at Minnesota look like a model of stability.

I could see a light at the end of the tunnel if he was clearing the deck to bring in better coaches, as we say after the 2009 season, but the new hires are primarily guys with no other options. I'm stunned.
Yup. Not good when you see posts like this from GHD.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:38 AM   #17
calibear
I can not say I was impressed with the cb play last season. While it is disturbing to hear another coach maybe or is likely leaving I can not count the number of times I read on different sites includuing loyalty that some wanted every single coach gone. I am not speaking of firing the entire staff, rater lil bob wanted x gone jimmy joe wanted y and x. So many are getting their wish while rejoicing with I told you so comes along the cry of the sky is falling.
I don't feel like further remarking on thy other, until the Colby hiring I was fine actually thought we well could be upgrading the staff. I will hold my own council until the staff is complete before an opinion.
My concern is recruiting as inroads made at some schools are gone and we will have to find new connections or connections to new schools further hurting recruiting for next year. Also kids not here to fore a concern about transfering may rear its ugly head.

Last edited by calibear; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
calibear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:09 AM   #18
Shenanigans
Id like to be a fly on the wall in Mike Thomas' office right now.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:02 AM   #19
BexleyIllini
Anyone know the terms of TB's contract? How much will it cost the university if (when) he is canned next year?
BexleyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:20 AM   #20
TooHot4Tots
Interesting move as I thought these guys were buds. Any rumors as to a replacement?
TooHot4Tots is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:42 AM   #21
illinicb
In and of itself, I wouldn't have put much weight on this, but this alongside the other changes, doesn't look good at least and probably isn't good. Hard to see a positive in this and I think it means that TB is on an even shorter leash and unless next year results in a winning season (I don't see that), I think the TB era may never get off the launch pad. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:54 AM   #22
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEYPAY View Post
QU - where are you - what is your thoughts?
Never good when one of "your guys" leaves.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:22 AM   #23
ButkusDaBear
I don't know why this news is all that surprising. The grumblings have been pretty loud within the staff for months. It may not be over yet either. Just win baby and a lot will be forgotten
ButkusDaBear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:25 AM   #24
SCillini
This ship is sinking fast, and it barely left the dock. One of TB's "guys" leaves for Cincy, in the fading Big Least. There's nothing encouraging about this program right now. After the two or three wins we get next year, can we just detonate this disaster?
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:34 AM   #25
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCillini View Post
This ship is sinking fast, and it barely left the dock. One of TB's "guys" leaves for Cincy, in the fading Big Least. There's nothing encouraging about this program right now. After the two or three wins we get next year, can we just detonate this disaster?
two or three wins... an optimist!!!:laugh:
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »