Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2/20 Games

Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
The February 20th college basketball games thread.

B1G games tonight-

Minnesota at Ohio State, 6:00pm CT, BTN

Wisconsin at Northwestern, 8:00pm CT, BTN

B1G standings-
_____________________Conf______+/-____Overall________Remaining Games
1.__Indiana__________12-2______5______24-3___________@Minn__Iowa____OSU_____@Mich
2.__Michigan State___11-3______4______22-5___________@OSU___@Mich___Wisc____NW
3.__Michigan__________9-4______3______22-4___________IL_____@PSU____MSU_____@PU_____IU
____Wisconsin_________9-4______2______18-8___________@NW____Neb_____PU______@MSU____@PSU
5.__Ohio State________8-5______2______18-7___________Minn___MSU_____@NW_____@IU_____IL
6.__Illinois__________6-7______-1_____19-8___________PSU____@Mich___Neb_____@Iowa___@OSU
____Minnesota_________6-7______-1_____18-8___________@OSU___IU______PSU_____@Neb____@PU
____Iowa______________6-7_______0_____17-9___________@Neb___PU______@IU_____IL______Neb
9.__Purdue____________5-8______-1_____12-14__________NW_____@Iowa___@Wisc___Mich____Minn
10._Northwestern______4-9______-2_____13-13__________Wisc___@PU_____OSU_____PSU_____@MSU
11._Nebraska__________3-10_____-4_____12-14__________Iowa___@Wisc___@IL_____Minn____@Iowa
12._Penn State________0-13_____-7______8-17__________@IL____Mich____@Minn___@NW_____Wisc

+/- = +1 for B1G road win, -1 for B1G home loss.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:03 AM   #2
PointGuardU01
Gophers and Buckeyes could be playing for a seed line tonight...in BTT and NCAA's
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:12 AM   #3
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Not sure who to root for in the Minny/OSU game. I want us to catch OSU, but I'd also like for Minny to be a game behind us.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:14 AM   #4
troyk
Banned
Sick that Bo Ryan has Wisky in a good position to finish 4th or better YET AGAIN in Big Ten play.

That man made a deal with the devil at some point, I'm convinced of it.
troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
Not sure who to root for in the Minny/OSU game. I want us to catch OSU, but I'd also like for Minny to be a game behind us.
Think I will root for tOSU, but am torn and guess I don't care too much.
Just give me another one of those games like last night's.
that was a lot of fun to watch. Easier, though, as a non-fan.
Some of the calls were a bit much.
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:17 AM   #6
UofIChE06
Quote:
Definitely Minn.
UofIChE06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:23 AM   #7
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofIChE06 View Post
Definitely Minn.
Why would say that? Do you think that we can catch tOSU? I do not. They are likely to finish at 10 or 11 wins. They already have 8 and they still get to play NW and us at home. Plus this Minny game is at home for tOSU. Doesn't that make them hard for us to catch? Much harder than Minny.

Minny has three very winnable games. PSU, Nebraska, Purdue. Add that to their 6 current and they end at 9 wins. If they win at tOSU, ending at presumably 10-8, we will have a very difficult time keeping pace with them. Think you have to be a Buckeye fan tonight.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:30 AM   #8
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ry-palm-reader

Can help you decide who to root for to boost our RPI. Doesn't include the B1G games tonight though, I'd think they'll impact our RPI, right?

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Why would say that? Do you think that we can catch tOSU? I do not. They are likely to finish at 10 or 11 wins. They already have 8 and they still get to play NW and us at home. Plus this Minny game is at home for tOSU. Doesn't that make them hard for us to catch? Much harder than Minny.

Minny has three very winnable games. PSU, Nebraska, Purdue. Add that to their 6 current and they end at 9 wins. If they win at tOSU, ending at presumably 10-8, we will have a very difficult time keeping pace with them. Think you have to be a Buckeye fan tonight.
To make it short, yes I think UI can catch OSU. Have been saying that for a while now. OSU is clearly in a funk/not that good offensively or defensively. It is very possible that OSU loses 4 out of the last 5. That means UI would need to go 3-2 to catch them. UI wins the tiebreaker. The way Minn has played of late I can see them losing the IU game and the @Neb game. Even if they win all but the IU game they are 4-1. UI can go 4-1, not likely but they could. UI wins that tiebreaker as well. Don't sleep on Iowa either. They could also be a factor for 5th place.

I don't know that fifth is all that special other than getting PSU in the opening round. Second round is going to be either Mich or Wisc. Revenge on Wisc would be nice.
UofIChE06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:43 AM   #10
FeelYourPaign
A few other interesting games, with tournament implications

Kansas at OK State, 8:00 Central, ESPN2 (each potentially a protected seed)
Iowa St at Baylor, 8:00 Central, ESPNU (both teams around the bubble line)
Colo St at UNLV, 9:15 Central, CBS Sports Network (both about a 7 seed right now)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:58 AM   #11
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post

I am all in for Minn. This is easy for me. I refuse to be pessimistic. We are going to win. We will have at worst 10-8. Therefore, catching OSU is our goal. Minn will NOT be able to pass us. Therefore, we want OSU to lose. We want to catch them.

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:30 PM   #12
Alfonz24
They have done it Tess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
I am all in for Minn. This is easy for me. I refuse to be pessimistic. We are going to win. We will have at worst 10-8. Therefore, catching OSU is our goal. Minn will NOT be able to pass us. Therefore, we want OSU to lose. We want to catch them.
My thoughts also. I believe we make a season ending run and want to catch the teams ahead of us. If we take care of our games, then there is nothing Minnesota can do to overtake us. tO$U has a tough end to their season and we are one of their games.
Alfonz24 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:03 PM   #13
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Right now we have the tie breaker beating IU. Go go Gophers.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:06 PM   #14
PeoriaSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofIChE06 View Post
To make it short, yes I think UI can catch OSU. Have been saying that for a while now. OSU is clearly in a funk/not that good offensively or defensively. It is very possible that OSU loses 4 out of the last 5. That means UI would need to go 3-2 to catch them. UI wins the tiebreaker. The way Minn has played of late I can see them losing the IU game and the @Neb game. Even if they win all but the IU game they are 4-1. UI can go 4-1, not likely but they could. UI wins that tiebreaker as well. Don't sleep on Iowa either. They could also be a factor for 5th place.

I don't know that fifth is all that special other than getting PSU in the opening round. Second round is going to be either Mich or Wisc. Revenge on Wisc would be nice.
Top 5 in the League still has some cache'. Might not help in the BTT, but helps our Big Dance seed.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:22 PM   #15
lstewart53x3
WTH happened to Minnesota?
lstewart53x3 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:38 PM   #16
TCTORNADO
Those rooting for Minny, must feel strongly that we can we win 2 of 3 on the road against Iowa, UM, & OSU. Personally I'll take the likely odds that we don't
win 2 of those and root for OSU.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:40 PM   #17
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Those rooting for Minny, must feel strongly that we can we win 2 of 3 on the road against Iowa, UM, & OSU. Personally I'll take the likely odds that we don't
Yeah the good news is that who we root for has nothing to do with the outcome of the game lol. I think it's better for us if OSU wins this one. Get a 6 seed in the BTT and I'm happy.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:11 PM   #18
lstewart53x3
Watching the Minny Vs OSU game in comparison to the game last night is like watching a game in slow motion.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:17 PM   #19
stevo99
I'd love to get the 5 seed in the B1G Tourney if for no other reason than I want Wiscy again.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:28 PM   #20
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
I feel that we can win 3 of 3 on the road. Not a problem. If you do not think that is possible, then, you are right to root for OSU. But, either way, Minn will not catch us.

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:29 PM   #21
HeartofaChampion
What happened to MN's offense? They can't seem to hit a jump shot to save their lives, allowing defenses to pack in the lane and crowd Mbakwe and Co. as OSU is doing tonight.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:36 PM   #22
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
What happened to MN's offense? They can't seem to hit a jump shot to save their lives, allowing defenses to pack in the lane and crowd Mbakwe and Co. as OSU is doing tonight.
Tubby has had problems of some type each yr he has been at Minny. Might be time to retire.
gibb52 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:40 PM   #23
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
Tubby has had problems of some type each yr he has been at Minny. Might be time to retire.
They looked scary explosive defensively and in transition during the non-conf slate and early in the B1G slate, destroying MSU one game and of course beating us up as well. They seem to have lost their energy level and toughness that made them so good on the glass and smothering opposing offenses. OSU is offensively challenged, yet they're up 18 tonight. Odd.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:40 PM   #24
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
I'd love to get the 5 seed in the B1G Tourney if for no other reason than I want Wiscy again.
Whyyy???

The crushed us twice lol. I think they're the worst match up for us in the entire B1G.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:42 PM   #25
WinOrElse
Jeez, Minnesota is absolutely terrible.
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »