Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois to play in 2014 Las Vegas Invitational (Thanksgiving weekend)

Closed Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Not sure if this has been out there, but the #Illini will be playing in the 2014 Las Vegas Invite over Thanksgiving weekend.

Baylor and Memphis among the other teams in the eight-team field with the #Illini which will be played at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.

http://twitter.com/MarcusJ_NG
Old Dec 4, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Soxfreak64
AWESOME!

Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:00 PM   #3
schnaurt
Just another excuse to go to Vegas. I have never stayed at that Hotel either. 2 excuses, awesome.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Octoman
Wonder who the fourth team is. Indiana State going. Hopefully someone else.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Vick217
Banned
Yep livening here in San Diego I will be there for sure!!!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6
OrangeandBlue4eva
That will be very exciting with next years team.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:06 PM   #7
illinitrav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
Wonder who the fourth team is. Indiana State going. Hopefully someone else.
Indiana State is the 4th team.

The way this tournament generally works is you play two lower-level teams at home (think Jacksonville State/Alabama State), and then the four "marquee" teams play a Final Four style tournament in Las Vegas with the winners playing each other for the championship and the losers playing for 3rd place.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:13 PM   #8
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitrav View Post
Indiana State is the 4th team.

The way this tournament generally works is you play two lower-level teams at home (think Jacksonville State/Alabama State), and then the four "marquee" teams play a Final Four style tournament in Las Vegas with the winners playing each other for the championship and the losers playing for 3rd place.
So, 2 games over a long weekend?
Pretty tasty
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:26 PM   #9
jrichisamazing
Maybe Leron Black will get to play Baylor.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:36 PM   #10
ckhawks23
Banned
Now all we need is Kansas to join and shove some real Illini basketball down their throats!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Bernie1918
Just got back from seeing the Illini play in Vegas. The Missouri team was staying in our hotel. They already knew who they were playing both nights in the tournament. It is not your typical winners play each other event.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Recruiting is Liquid
Memphis will lose at least Joe Jackson, Chris Crawford, and Michael Dixon. So, their entire backcourt.

Baylor loses 3 of their top 6, to include their top 2 scorers in Jefferson and Haslip. Maybe Austin will jump pro if he puts together a strong season.

I like our chances trading JoeBert and Ekey for Starks, Cosby, Paul, Black, and Finke.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 06:11 PM   #13
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recruiting is Liquid View Post
Memphis will lose at least Joe Jackson, Chris Crawford, and Michael Dixon. So, their entire backcourt.

Baylor loses 3 of their top 6, to include their top 2 scorers in Jefferson and Haslip. Maybe Austin will jump pro if he puts together a strong season.

I like our chances trading JoeBert and Ekey for Starks, Cosby, Paul, Black, and Finke.
Exactly! I think we'll be okay
Old Dec 4, 2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Jefe
This is great. Heck, it's only 10 hours from here (Denver) when I average 75mph.

See you there. I'll be the guy wearing orange.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Lovethechief78
I am SOOOOOoooo there!! We were at the infamous 2009 LV tourney...I'm optimistic 2014 will have a MUCH better result

Old Dec 4, 2013, 07:16 PM   #16
brosox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie1918 View Post
Just got back from seeing the Illini play in Vegas. The Missouri team was staying in our hotel. They already knew who they were playing both nights in the tournament. It is not your typical winners play each other event.
Actually, i think it normally is a typical winners play winners event. This year was an exception. Because UCLA and Missouri were already scheduled to play each other some time in December, I believe the tournament organizers just decided that they wouldn't play each other in this year's tournament. At least that was how it was described by the announcers of the Missouri-Northwestern game played on Thanksgiving night.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:36 PM   #17
KJKobs
Quote:
Same here - I had a great time in Vegas last week and would love to go back for the Las Vegas Invitational next November

Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:41 PM   #18
illinichick
I live in LA and this is a great reason not to have to fly for Thanksgiving. Anyone know what nights the games usually are? Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:52 PM   #19
RecLeagueHero
Townie
Wonder when they start selling tickets to an event like this?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Bernie1918
Seems like I remember when I went to see Illinois play in this tournament at the Orleans in 2009 we knew in advance we were playing Utah & Bradley before we got to Vegas. That year it was before thanksgiving but this year I believe they played on thanksgiving & Friday.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:00 PM   #21
FeelYourPaign
Anybody have any idea just how "full" Vegas is that weekend? Will hotels be premium or discount?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:14 PM   #22
illinitrav
Quote:
Seems like I remember when I went to see Illinois play in this tournament at the Orleans in 2009 we knew in advance we were playing Utah & Bradley before we got to Vegas. That year it was before thanksgiving but this year I believe they played on thanksgiving & Friday.
When Illinois played in the Las Vegas Invitational last time around, it was the Winner/Winner and Loser/Loser format.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:20 PM   #23
illinitrav
As part of the tournament, the Illini will play 2 home games against the following group of teams:

Prairie View A&M
Stephen F. Austin
Eastern Washington
Brown
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:32 PM   #24
KJKobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Anybody have any idea just how "full" Vegas is that weekend? Will hotels be premium or discount?
Not sure about Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and the weekend but the days leading up to Thanksgiving, there are usually nice discounts on hotels.

Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:06 PM   #25
zoggle101
Memphis has a monster 13 class, and I believe 14 is going to be just as tough. They do lose those guards, but let's wait a little while before we decide how good they're going to be because it could only be a small step back which still gets them a ranking between 25-40.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »