Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois to play in 2014 Las Vegas Invitational (Thanksgiving weekend)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 4, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 29,430
Quote:
Not sure if this has been out there, but the #Illini will be playing in the 2014 Las Vegas Invite over Thanksgiving weekend.

Baylor and Memphis among the other teams in the eight-team field with the #Illini which will be played at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.

http://twitter.com/MarcusJ_NG
Dan is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Soxfreak64
Soxfreak64's Avatar
Location: Bloomington
Posts: 2,529
AWESOME!

__________________
Early commitments would make me feel better, but would make summer SO boring.
Soxfreak64 is online now
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:00 PM   #3
schnaurt
schnaurt's Avatar
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 804
Just another excuse to go to Vegas. I have never stayed at that Hotel either. 2 excuses, awesome.
schnaurt is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Octoman
Posts: 156
Wonder who the fourth team is. Indiana State going. Hopefully someone else.
Octoman is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Vick217
Banned
Location: All Over the world
Posts: 530
Yep livening here in San Diego I will be there for sure!!!
Vick217 is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6
OrangeandBlue4eva
Location: Secretcity
Posts: 1,962
That will be very exciting with next years team.
OrangeandBlue4eva is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:06 PM   #7
illinitrav
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
Wonder who the fourth team is. Indiana State going. Hopefully someone else.
Indiana State is the 4th team.

The way this tournament generally works is you play two lower-level teams at home (think Jacksonville State/Alabama State), and then the four "marquee" teams play a Final Four style tournament in Las Vegas with the winners playing each other for the championship and the losers playing for 3rd place.
illinitrav is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:13 PM   #8
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Barrington, IL
Posts: 4,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinitrav View Post
Indiana State is the 4th team.

The way this tournament generally works is you play two lower-level teams at home (think Jacksonville State/Alabama State), and then the four "marquee" teams play a Final Four style tournament in Las Vegas with the winners playing each other for the championship and the losers playing for 3rd place.
So, 2 games over a long weekend?
Pretty tasty
FeelYourPaign is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:26 PM   #9
jrichisamazing
Posts: 1,438
Maybe Leron Black will get to play Baylor.
jrichisamazing is online now
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:36 PM   #10
ckhawks23
Banned
Posts: 88
Now all we need is Kansas to join and shove some real Illini basketball down their throats!
ckhawks23 is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Bernie1918
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 148
Just got back from seeing the Illini play in Vegas. The Missouri team was staying in our hotel. They already knew who they were playing both nights in the tournament. It is not your typical winners play each other event.
Bernie1918 is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Recruiting is Liquid
Recruiting is Liquid's Avatar
Posts: 92
Memphis will lose at least Joe Jackson, Chris Crawford, and Michael Dixon. So, their entire backcourt.

Baylor loses 3 of their top 6, to include their top 2 scorers in Jefferson and Haslip. Maybe Austin will jump pro if he puts together a strong season.


I like our chances trading JoeBert and Ekey for Starks, Cosby, Paul, Black, and Finke.
Recruiting is Liquid is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 06:11 PM   #13
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recruiting is Liquid View Post
Memphis will lose at least Joe Jackson, Chris Crawford, and Michael Dixon. So, their entire backcourt.

Baylor loses 3 of their top 6, to include their top 2 scorers in Jefferson and Haslip. Maybe Austin will jump pro if he puts together a strong season.


I like our chances trading JoeBert and Ekey for Starks, Cosby, Paul, Black, and Finke.
Exactly! I think we'll be okay
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Jefe
Posts: 93
This is great. Heck, it's only 10 hours from here (Denver) when I average 75mph.

See you there. I'll be the guy wearing orange.
Jefe is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Lovethechief78
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 268
I am SOOOOOoooo there!! We were at the infamous 2009 LV tourney...I'm optimistic 2014 will have a MUCH better result

Lovethechief78 is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 07:16 PM   #16
brosox
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie1918 View Post
Just got back from seeing the Illini play in Vegas. The Missouri team was staying in our hotel. They already knew who they were playing both nights in the tournament. It is not your typical winners play each other event.
Actually, i think it normally is a typical winners play winners event. This year was an exception. Because UCLA and Missouri were already scheduled to play each other some time in December, I believe the tournament organizers just decided that they wouldn't play each other in this year's tournament. At least that was how it was described by the announcers of the Missouri-Northwestern game played on Thanksgiving night.
brosox is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:36 PM   #17
KJKobs
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie1918 View Post
Just got back from seeing the Illini play in Vegas. The Missouri team was staying in our hotel. They already knew who they were playing both nights in the tournament. It is not your typical winners play each other event.
Same here - I had a great time in Vegas last week and would love to go back for the Las Vegas Invitational next November

__________________
Twitter: @KJKobs
KJKobs is online now
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:41 PM   #18
illinichick
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 173
I live in LA and this is a great reason not to have to fly for Thanksgiving. Anyone know what nights the games usually are? Thursday/Friday or Friday/Saturday?
illinichick is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:52 PM   #19
RecLeagueHero
Townie
RecLeagueHero's Avatar
Posts: 5,335
Wonder when they start selling tickets to an event like this?
RecLeagueHero is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Bernie1918
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 148
Seems like I remember when I went to see Illinois play in this tournament at the Orleans in 2009 we knew in advance we were playing Utah & Bradley before we got to Vegas. That year it was before thanksgiving but this year I believe they played on thanksgiving & Friday.
Bernie1918 is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:00 PM   #21
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Barrington, IL
Posts: 4,427
Anybody have any idea just how "full" Vegas is that weekend? Will hotels be premium or discount?
FeelYourPaign is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:14 PM   #22
illinitrav
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie1918 View Post
Seems like I remember when I went to see Illinois play in this tournament at the Orleans in 2009 we knew in advance we were playing Utah & Bradley before we got to Vegas. That year it was before thanksgiving but this year I believe they played on thanksgiving & Friday.
When Illinois played in the Las Vegas Invitational last time around, it was the Winner/Winner and Loser/Loser format.
illinitrav is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:20 PM   #23
illinitrav
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 317
As part of the tournament, the Illini will play 2 home games against the following group of teams:

Prairie View A&M
Stephen F. Austin
Eastern Washington
Brown
illinitrav is offline
Old Dec 4, 2013, 09:32 PM   #24
KJKobs
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Anybody have any idea just how "full" Vegas is that weekend? Will hotels be premium or discount?
Not sure about Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and the weekend but the days leading up to Thanksgiving, there are usually nice discounts on hotels.

__________________
Twitter: @KJKobs
KJKobs is online now
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:06 PM   #25
zoggle101
zoggle101's Avatar
Posts: 5,160
Memphis has a monster 13 class, and I believe 14 is going to be just as tough. They do lose those guards, but let's wait a little while before we decide how good they're going to be because it could only be a small step back which still gets them a ranking between 25-40.

__________________
#zogglepatrol
zoggle101 is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump