Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

English Premier League Thread 2016-2017

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jun 15, 2016, 08:23 AM   #1
KBLEE
KBLEE's Avatar
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 5,335
The fixtures were released yesterday, so it seems appropriate to get this thread going.

As a Spurs fan, their strecth from late October to early December is brutal: Leicester, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Swansea, ManU + 2 Champions League matches (which easily could incluce Barcelona or Real Madrid).
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2016, 08:31 AM   #2
IlliniDent
IlliniDent's Avatar
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
The fixtures were released yesterday, so it seems appropriate to get this thread going.

As a Spurs fan, their strecth from late October to early December is brutal: Leicester, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Swansea, ManU + 2 Champions League matches (which easily could incluce Barcelona or Real Madrid).
Yea this is going to be a rough year for everyone and those stretches are going to be critical.
IlliniDent is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2016, 08:32 AM   #3
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 5,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
The fixtures were released yesterday, so it seems appropriate to get this thread going.

As a Spurs fan, their strecth from late October to early December is brutal: Leicester, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Swansea, ManU + 2 Champions League matches (which easily could incluce Barcelona or Real Madrid).
Or Athletico, Bayern, etc. Run w/the big boys, have to wear the big boy shorts. Spurs are young. Don't think last season was an aberration. I expect them to be top four and they could win it all. They need a good backup forward, 'cause if Kane goes down...
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:33 AM   #4
wettsten
wettsten's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 431
arsenal has two tough matches out of the gate and a gauntlet to end the season. wooph.

how about a way-too-early top 4 and bottom 3?

__________________
just relax and repeat these three little words: recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid...
wettsten is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:41 AM   #5
soupy17
soupy17's Avatar
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Or Athletico, Bayern, etc. Run w/the big boys, have to wear the big boy shorts. Spurs are young. Don't think last season was an aberration. I expect them to be top four and they could win it all. They need a good backup forward, 'cause if Kane goes down...
Michy Batshuayi from Marseille has been heavily linked to Spurs, many think the move will be completed after he's through competing in the Euro's with Belgium. Vincent Janssen from AZ in the Dutch league is another name that's been thrown around

__________________
Illini Motorsports - THIS IS ILL
soupy17 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:47 AM   #6
soupy17
soupy17's Avatar
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by wettsten View Post
arsenal has two tough matches out of the gate and a gauntlet to end the season. wooph.

how about a way-too-early top 4 and bottom 3?
Top 4: Mourinho, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea

Bottom 3: Bournemouth, Burnley, Hull

__________________
Illini Motorsports - THIS IS ILL
soupy17 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2016, 04:17 PM   #7
jrichisamazing
Posts: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy17 View Post
Top 4: Mourinho, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea

Bottom 3: Bournemouth, Burnley, Hull
I have the same top 4, but only because I'm a Chelsea fan. If I was neutral I would probably switch Chelsea with Liverpool. Of course a lot will change once the summer tournaments are over and the transfers start.

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2016, 04:27 PM   #8
wettsten
wettsten's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
I have the same top 4, but only because I'm a Chelsea fan. If I was neutral I would probably switch Chelsea with Liverpool. Of course a lot will change once the summer tournaments are over and the transfers start.
pep's city doesn't make the top four but jose's man united does?

__________________
just relax and repeat these three little words: recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid...
wettsten is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2016, 04:44 PM   #9
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 5,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy17 View Post
Top 4: Mourinho, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea

Bottom 3: Bournemouth, Burnley, Hull
No Pep? Chelsea top 4? Man U finishing on top? Bold. Think I'll wait awhile for my picks.

Don't think Eddie Howe's team is going to be relegated.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:27 PM   #10
jrichisamazing
Posts: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by wettsten View Post
pep's city doesn't make the top four but jose's man united does?
Didn't I say I was a Chelsea fan?

But I really think there is a good chance that Pep takes some time to transform Man City. He doesn't have the same talent that he had at Bayern or Barca yet. And I think Mourinho's style is easier to get results with lesser talent. Plus you never know how a coach will adapt to the Premier League. We already know Mourinho can do it (at least for a few years at a club).

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:40 AM   #11
jrichisamazing
Posts: 3,993
Emerson Hyndman going to Bournemouth from Fulham. Awesome news, I love watching him play. Probably the most technical ability I've seen from an American.

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:25 PM   #12
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 5,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Emerson Hyndman going to Bournemouth from Fulham. Awesome news, I love watching him play. Probably the most technical ability I've seen from an American.
Hear, hear. Eddie Howe will not be relegated.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2016, 09:23 PM   #13
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Posts: 1,577
Here's when the different derbies will be taking place next season:

-New Forest Derby: December 17th (Dean Court), April 1st (St. Mary's Stadium)
-North London Derby: November 5th (Emirates Stadium), April 29th (White Hart Lane)
-Arsenal-Chelsea: September 24th (Emirates Stadium), February 4th (Stamford Bridge)
-Arsenal-Manchester United: November 19th (Old Trafford), May 6th (Emirates Stadium)
-Merseyside Derby: December 17th (Goodison Park), April 1st (Anfield)
-North-West Derby: October 15th (Anfield), January 14th (Old Trafford)
-Manchester Derby: September 10th (Old Trafford), February 25th (Etihad Stadium)
-Tees-Wear Derby: August 20th (Stadium of Light), March 11th (Riverside Stadium)
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2016, 09:25 PM   #14
IlliniFaninHoosierLand
Posts: 1,577
Also Hull City got an absolutely brutal opening to their season. Their first seven matches look like this: Home vs. Leicester, Away at Swansea, Home vs. Manchester United, Away at Burnley, Home vs. Arsenal, Away at Liverpool, Home vs. Chelsea.
IlliniFaninHoosierLand is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2016, 06:07 AM   #15
unimaroon
Location: Baja Ontario
Posts: 450
Liverpool has an apparently softer season end the last nine weeks, so if they can stay afloat through challenging early and holiday schedules, another dash to the finish may be in the offing.
unimaroon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2016, 01:25 PM   #16
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 5,998
Victor Wanyama to the Spurs. Another very good signing.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2016, 02:07 PM   #17
IlliniDent
IlliniDent's Avatar
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Victor Wanyama to the Spurs. Another very good signing.
Spurs are Doing well by being smart in the transfer market. They are signing the next best guy that fits their system for a good price.
IlliniDent is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2016, 07:41 AM   #18
KBLEE
KBLEE's Avatar
Location: Montgomery, IL
Posts: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniDent View Post
Spurs are Doing well by being smart in the transfer market. They are signing the next best guy that fits their system for a good price.
That's how Levy does it. As much as Spurs fans would like him to be in on the really big names, you'll rarely see him overspend for an established player.
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2016, 08:49 AM   #19
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 5,998
Vardy staying with LC. Probably a good decision.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:30 AM   #20
wettsten
wettsten's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
Vardy staying with LC. Probably a good decision.
it was still a good idea of wenger to try since he would have been much cheaper than other options (morata, higuain). i respect vardy for sticking with his team. let's see if his teammates (kante, mahrez) feel the same way.

__________________
just relax and repeat these three little words: recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid...
wettsten is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:56 AM   #21
Joel Goodson
Banned
Location: Elmhurst
Posts: 5,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by wettsten View Post
it was still a good idea of wenger to try since he would have been much cheaper than other options (morata, higuain). i respect vardy for sticking with his team. let's see if his teammates (kante, mahrez) feel the same way.
Think they're gone. Definitely worth trying for, for Wenger.
Joel Goodson is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2016, 08:40 PM   #22
jrichisamazing
Posts: 3,993
I think Vardy would be a bust if he went to a big club anyway. He fits Leicester perfectly and he's comfortable there. Even then, I don't think he'll be nearly as good next season.

__________________
jrichisamazing is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2016, 04:19 PM   #23
SalukiIllini
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 773
Top 4 is going to be a damn dog fight this year, IMO.
SalukiIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2016, 04:20 PM   #24
SalukiIllini
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
I think Vardy would be a bust if he went to a big club anyway. He fits Leicester perfectly and he's comfortable there. Even then, I don't think he'll be nearly as good next season.


Fits in with a great scheme. A counter attacking type offense.
SalukiIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2016, 09:40 PM   #25
wettsten
wettsten's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiIllini View Post
Fits in with a great scheme. A counter attacking type offense.

__________________
just relax and repeat these three little words: recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid. recruiting is fluid...
wettsten is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump