Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2017 Coaching Carousel

Old Nov 24, 2016, 03:46 PM   #1
mattcoldagelli
I'll do it. You were thinking about it, but I've got your back.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:05 PM   #2
mattcoldagelli
Will we be the first opening? Who else might have already seen enough? Georgetown?

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:07 PM   #3
GoIllini40
Not too sure who I like right now but some good candidates will pop up.

Think Gregg Marshall is plan A but I don't see him leaving Wichita State. Archie Miller should be plan B. Dan Hurley at Rhode Island is intriguing.
GoIllini40 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:09 PM   #4
mattcoldagelli
Kevin Keatts
Cuonzo Martin

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:11 PM   #5
StateFarmCenter
1. Cuonzo Martin
2. Archie Miller
3. Bryce Drew

These would be my top 3 (not in order), but each I'd give a maximum of 40% of coming here
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:12 PM   #6
GoIllini40
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarmCenter View Post
1. Cuonzo Martin
2. Archie Miller
3. Bryce Drew

These would be my top 3 (not in order), but each I'd give a maximum of 40% of coming here
Bryce Drew just got a job at Vandy and at this point, I'm not too sure I would leave Vandy for Illinois.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Second and Chalmers
Ben Jacobson is my guy.
Second and Chalmers is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:25 PM   #8
FatGreg
Probably the most rational expectation based on what we've seen this year and throughout Groce's tenure is that we go either 3-9 or 4-8 over our next 12 games. If we're sitting at 7-11 a quarter of the way through the B1G season, does JW pull the plug before February?

My revised season projection is 8-5 non-con, 7-11 B1G after today's unmitigated disaster. This team makes me sad.
FatGreg is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:27 PM   #9
GoIllini40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Ben Jacobson is my guy.
Love Jacobson but it's going to take a mint to get him out of Cedar Falls. He loves it there and has been successful there. I think he'd only leave for a top job.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:39 PM   #10
mdonsbach
Is there a home run hire out there like Lovie seems to be? At least to give the buzz that Lovie gave?

Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:40 PM   #11
GoIllini40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Is there a home run hire out there like Lovie seems to be? At least to give the buzz that Lovie gave?
In my eyes, Gregg Marshall or Ben Jacobson would be "home run hires"
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:41 PM   #12
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIllini40 View Post
Love Jacobson but it's going to take a mint to get him out of Cedar Falls. He loves it there and has been successful there. I think he'd only leave for a top job.

You don't go to Kansas from UNI. You go to Illinois then Kansas.

Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:42 PM   #13
GoIllini40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
You don't go to Kansas from UNI. You go to Illinois then Kansas.
I disagree, I think if Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky became open right now, they'd have Ben Jacobson near the top of their list.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:44 PM   #14
Second and Chalmers
Quote:
I disagree, I think if Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky became open right now, they'd have Ben Jacobson near the top of their list.
They should, but they would not. Lucky us.
Second and Chalmers is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:45 PM   #15
cjcastan
Quote:

If any of those schools came open you would have every coach not named Tom izzo, pitino, boeheim not coaching at Kansas duke Carolina Kentucky willing to trade you their mother and wife for one of those jobs.

You'd also prolly have brad Stevens doing his due diligence.

Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:46 PM   #16
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Kansas coach came from Illinois. North Carolinas coach came from Kansas. Kentuckys coach came from Memphis. They aren't going to hire from UNI.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:53 PM   #17
Jet Jockey
I have said it before. We need to open the checkbook and bring in Ettore Messina. If you have never heard of him, just google it.
Jet Jockey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:55 PM   #18
GoIllini40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jockey View Post
I have said it before. We need to open the checkbook and bring in Ettore Messina. If you have never heard of him, just google it.
No thanks, would rather have someone that knows the college game and has recruited before
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:55 PM   #19
Hoppy2105
Banned
If we fire Groce mid season, the choice is easy to decommit and many schools will come in and potentially take our recruits away. Plus, if we fire mid-season, we won't have our replacement for several months which means we won't have someone to come in and "re-recruit" our recruits.

It's gotta be at the end of the season and if we don't turn this thing around. (I don't think we will, but stranger things have happened like Purdue starting 8-5 in the non-con and finishing 12-6 in conference)

Last edited by Dan; Nov 24, 2016 at 08:54 PM.
Hoppy2105 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 04:58 PM   #20
schnaurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jockey View Post
Would he be able to recruit?
schnaurt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 05:36 PM   #21
Illiniguy13
To be fair I don't know if these guys are legitimately available-- but some wishlist candidates--

Tim Cluess
Heath Schroyer
Illiniguy13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 05:49 PM   #22
2ndGenIllini
Whitman is going to be in a tough spot if the season continues down the path it's headed right now. If he fires Groce you likely lose the whole recruiting class. Can we afford to do that and go through a full rebuild that will see us not make the tournament for 3-4 more years?
2ndGenIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 06:02 PM   #23
Hoppy2105
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIllini View Post
Whitman is going to be in a tough spot if the season continues down the path it's headed right now. If he fires Groce you likely lose the whole recruiting class. Can we afford to do that and go through a full rebuild that will see us not make the tournament for 3-4 more years?
Basketball rebuilds tend to take less time. If we hire the right guy, we could make the dance by Tejon's junior year.
Hoppy2105 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2016, 06:08 PM   #24
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIllini View Post
Basketball rebuilds do not take that long. The right coach could have them in the tournament next year. Not that I would expect that at all. He'd have by year 3 to make the tournament.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 06:39 PM   #25
kaptain80
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaurt View Post
Would he be able to recruit?
Are his growth plates still open?
kaptain80 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »