Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Simeon Forward Stanley Simpson

Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:41 PM   #1
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
From the Chicago Tribune (Bob Sakamoto):

The Illini are making a strong push for Simeon's 6-9 Stanley Simpson, who also is considering Arkansas and Bradley. In the junior class, Weber has made offers to guards Chris Colvin of Young, Diamond Taylor of St. Joseph and Brandon Paul of Warren. He also is pursuing Young sophomore Anthony Johnson.

I don't remember hearing much on this board about Simpson. His other schools are Arkansas and Bradley, so it doesn't appear the bigger boys are after him. Any opinions on him?
illinois_hustle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:46 PM   #2
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
Re: Simeon Forward Stanley Simpson

I have heard he has a ton of potential. More of a banger than what we have. Still, I am not sure if we really need someone at his position. Maybe there is some political reasons? Not that he is not talented, because he is. He has some issues with grades and may have difficulty qualifying. This could be the reason he hasn't been pursued as hard.
CrazedUIFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Q Baller

It's not easy being an Illlini....
(As most of us know) With the academic standards that exist at our beloved UI we have serious issues as far as bringing in talent. Our standards keep us away from many great players unfortunately. There are many great basketball schools that accept anybody. (Kansas for example) The only other school that comes to mind that is in the so called top 10 schools is Arizona. They also have strict academic policies making recruiting more difficult. As a fan it sucks!!!!! Illinois is simply pickier (sp?) than most in admitting students.
Q Baller is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Q Baller

Does anyone remember Lee Lampley from Rockford Boylan back in the day? Dynamite player, crappy grades!!!!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:27 PM   #5
HeartofaChampion

I don't understand why we haven't offered Marcus Jordan. Maybe he told the staff that he wasn't interested in UI? Makes no sense, not that I know anything . Why offer 4 or 5 other 09 guards and not him with JJ on our roster?
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:35 PM   #6
socalini

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
I don't understand why we haven't offered Marcus Jordan. Maybe he told the staff that he wasn't interested in UI? Makes no sense, not that I know anything . Why offer 4 or 5 other 09 guards and not him with JJ on our roster?
Simpson is '08, not '09. And not a guard, if that's what you were thinking.

I wish Jordan had an offer too(maybe he does, and it just hasn't been reported). Maybe he's going to walk-on.
socalini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Q Baller

OFFER JORDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:45 PM   #8
illinoisfanalways
Banned

WE NEED THIS GUY! Everyone on this board talked about how much we needed Dunigan and know when we might get a guy of similar stature we just say that he's not needed. This would be a great get because once Pruitt graduates we have no true bangers, it would be nice to put a guy like this in the game with Davis at the three, have him play four and then have Tisdale or Semrau. We still need someone that likes to sets screens and punish people in the post.
illinoisfanalways is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Q Baller

We need Jordan #2 and then all will fall in place. When MJ allows both of his kids to come to UI to learn the art of hoopage all will be well. Recruit after recruit will fall in line and say thank you sir can I have another. This type of opportunity only happens once every century and we must take advantage. Does anyone feel this passion? This is huge as far as publicity goes. If we lose him to say NC everyone will say: Oh JJ wasn't good enough to play in the big time. We are the big time if we play this properly.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:04 PM   #10
AEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisfanalways View Post
WE NEED THIS GUY! Everyone on this board talked about how much we needed Dunigan and know when we might get a guy of similar stature we just say that he's not needed. This would be a great get because once Pruitt graduates we have no true bangers, it would be nice to put a guy like this in the game with Davis at the three, have him play four and then have Tisdale or Semrau. We still need someone that likes to sets screens and punish people in the post.
Carlwell's no twig. Doesn't he fill that role to an extent?
AEX is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:17 PM   #11
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisfanalways View Post
Simple answer: Simpson is NOT of similar stature to Dunigan.
OrangeFever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:18 PM   #12
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEX View Post
Carlwell's no twig. Doesn't he fill that role to an extent?
He doesn't look like a twig, but, so far, that's how he plays.
OrangeFever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:50 PM   #13
Q Baller

I think Carlwell is going to shock some people. I thought his potential last year looked impressive until Jamar ran him into a tree. We'll see!!!
Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:59 AM   #14
fmillini

HOPEFULLY THE REASON MARC JORDAN HASNT BEEN OFFERED IS BECAUSE HE WILL ALSO BE A PREFERRED WALKON-ITS NOT LIKE HIS FAMILY NEEDS THE SCHOLARSHIP AND IF THEY REALLY WANT WHATS BEST FOR THE UNIVERSITY THEY WONT TAKE ANOTHER SCHOLLY.
fmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:17 AM   #15
IlliniFan03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmillini View Post
HOPEFULLY THE REASON MARC JORDAN HASNT BEEN OFFERED IS BECAUSE HE WILL ALSO BE A PREFERRED WALKON-ITS NOT LIKE HIS FAMILY NEEDS THE SCHOLARSHIP AND IF THEY REALLY WANT WHATS BEST FOR THE UNIVERSITY THEY WONT TAKE ANOTHER SCHOLLY.
MJ is wealthy, not stupid. Marcus will get a full ride at his choice of most top notch schools. Why would MJ foot the bill? We're talking about $75K....even for a millionaire, it's not chump change.
IlliniFan03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:29 AM   #16
WOLFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFever View Post
He doesn't look like a twig, but, so far, that's how he plays.
You make that comment and he has been on campus one season, didn't play much and got injured near the end of the season. You just don't ever have anything good to say about anything do you. If you almost died from a concussion you might be a little hesitant to go banging around flying elbows and such too....

Have a shread of confidence in the 4 star recruit's potential...

Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:30 AM   #17
WOLFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan03 View Post
MJ is wealthy, not stupid. Marcus will get a full ride at his choice of most top notch schools. Why would MJ foot the bill? We're talking about $75K....even for a millionaire, it's not chump change.
MJ drops that much playing golf.......he stills makes millions off endorsements..

Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:58 AM   #18
jo_bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Baller View Post
...The only other school that comes to mind that is in the so called top 10 schools is Arizona...
Remember that Duke has pretty high academic standards.
jo_bus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:07 AM   #19
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land

I think adding Simpson would be a stretch, but maybe the staff feels confident they will snag a guard in 08 and the potential for great guards in 09. I wonder if the staff knows something about Marcus and his desire to play at UI. It could be that Marcus wants to play for UNC?
CrazedUIFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:09 AM   #20
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent

I think that a scholarship offer to Marcus Jordan is strictly a matter of pride, not money. Sure, it would help us to have Luther Head pay for his brother, Crandall, to attend UI and I'm sure that Luther can afford it, but BW offered Crandall Head a scholarship based upon his ability. The same should be true for Marcus Jordan.

Now, back to the subject of Stanley Simpson. There's a long thread about him that was started months ago. I pulled it back up when he came out with his final three, although the timing of that announcement was a little suspect because it coincided with the public statement of his coach at Simeon that he was interested in Webster's job. FWIW, Stan Simpson has every bit as much potential as Michael Dunigan, but his grades are marginal and there are some concerns about his intensity on the floor. I think those are the two reasons that he is not quite as highly regarded as Dunigan.

Old Sep 14, 2007, 03:55 PM   #21
KornheiserzCombover
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Baller View Post
I think Carlwell is going to shock some people. I thought his potential last year looked impressive until Jamar ran him into a tree. We'll see!!!
From what I've heard, Tisdale is ahead of BC. And there's a chance BC could redshirt this year. Just FYI.
KornheiserzCombover is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 03:56 PM   #22
KornheiserzCombover
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
I think that a scholarship offer to Marcus Jordan is strictly a matter of pride, not money. Sure, it would help us to have Luther Head pay for his brother, Crandall, to attend UI and I'm sure that Luther can afford it, but BW offered Crandall Head a scholarship based upon his ability. The same should be true for Marcus Jordan.
Apparently, Marcus is on campus a LOT (nearly every weekend). A friend of mine that plays hoops with these guys says that Marcus loves the UI and enjoys spending time with his brother. Not sure that translates into his coming here, but it tells me he would SERIOUSLY consider an offer from the Illini.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 04:39 PM   #23
NV Illini 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by KornheiserzCombover View Post
Apparently, Marcus is on campus a LOT (nearly every weekend). A friend of mine that plays hoops with these guys says that Marcus loves the UI and enjoys spending time with his brother. Not sure that translates into his coming here, but it tells me he would SERIOUSLY consider an offer from the Illini.
When JJ committed to the Illini, he mentioned that he and Marcus did everything together, and something to the effect that he didn't know what Marcus would do without him there. JJ expected Marcus to come to Illinois frequently to visit him, and of course, to watch the games. Looks like that's what is happening. I hope JJ get some minutes this year and makes some strides. It would be great to see JJ just do well, but it would be even better to see both of them playing side by side at times. And you have to figure Dad and Mom would be really proud, too.

GO ILLINI
NV Illini 74 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:06 PM   #24
KornheiserzCombover
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV Illini 74 View Post
When JJ committed to the Illini, he mentioned that he and Marcus did everything together, and something to the effect that he didn't know what Marcus would do without him there. JJ expected Marcus to come to Illinois frequently to visit him, and of course, to watch the games. Looks like that's what is happening. I hope JJ get some minutes this year and makes some strides. It would be great to see JJ just do well, but it would be even better to see both of them playing side by side at times. And you have to figure Dad and Mom would be really proud, too.

GO ILLINI
Agree totally, NV. I think JJ gets some minutes out of necessity, but he could earn his time with us if he keeps from making mistakes and plays great defense. That alone will keep him on Bruce's good side. Also, MJ apparently bought a house in Champaign, so I'm guessing he plans on attending quite a few games. I hope the staff offers Marcus a schollie soon. He won't commit for a while, but the early offer could be important.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 11:35 AM   #25
moevillini

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_bus View Post
Remember that Duke has pretty high academic standards.
overall, yes - for it's athletes, not so much.

and I agree with those stating that we don't need to waste a scholly on MarJay, especially not this early in the game - I think everyone knows there'd be a spot on the team for him, and I don't think the scholarship issue is that big a deal for the family.

If it were, JJ would be at Valpo, now wouldn't he?

So MJ bought a house in U-C? You think it's for his own use - or perhaps to give JJ a respite from dorm life?
moevillini is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »