2017 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
#5,929      
Lon has past NBA experience and is a stand up guy. ;)

I know it wont be him, though (though he did really enjoy himself some Timpone's pizza).

Would love for it to be Billy D. I'm a bit less enamored with "The Mayor" as some are.

First I think Hoiberg will be coaching the Bulls next year. Donovan WILL NEVER be coaching at Illinois. If he chooses to leave the NBA. which he probably won't. he will get a blue blood job.

#5,930      
There is a zero percent chance Groce is back. Those of influence around the program have made that clear. As an AD, you have to listen. I have a good feeling our next coach will be someone nobody is mentioning. He will have past NBA experience and a reputation as a stand up guy.

What are the names that have not been mentioned yet?

#5,931      
Going back to Mark Jackson, I think would be perfect coach for young team...intensity, ability, NBA pedigree to recruit...etc?

#5,932      
Re: Mark Jackson, from Feb 8th. No one responded.

Just a couple of names that popped into my head tonight: Dan Majerle (who has been discussed a bit in this thread) and Mark Jackson (former NBA head coach and all star point guard; current analyst).

Majerle has been doing a terrific job at Grand Canyon - 27-7 last year, 15-9 this year. Mark Jackson was a tremendous player and coached the Warriors to a 51-31 record the year he was let go. Both of these guys would have instant credibility walking into a recruit's living room.

I'm sure they're both very unlikely, but what do you guys think? I haven't heard anything about Jackson being a candidate, but I can't think of why he wouldn't be.

PS: I realize the big knock on Jackson is that he's a feisty personality that has trouble getting along with others. From a basketball knowledge perspective, though, he would seem to be top notch.

#5,933      
Majerle would be a very tough get...even with Colangelo figured in...he has publicly stated his loyalty to the GCU program and is very grateful for Colangelo getting him in the door...

This said, Colangelo, I believe would have a vested interest also being the profitability of the university especially upcoming years.He knows where his bread is buttered, because yes Majerle has been pretty incredible there. Very doubtful Majerle would even field the call, other that simply a courtesy.

#5,934      

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Based on what Ward and Jkat are saying, here are a few guesses: Mike Brown, Rod Strickland, Anthony Grant, Tony Bennett, Lord Jeff Van Gundy, Phil Jackson, Julius Erving, Dan Majerle, Tim Duncan, Luc Longley.

Michael Jordan--and he's even got ties to UIUC!!!

:D

#5,938      
Matt McCall would be a good up and comer coach if Whitman goes that route again?

#5,939      
Mark Jackson would be an awful hire in my opinion and I don't think it'd ever happen regardless. He was a fantastic defensive coach and helped nurture a winning attitude in Golden State but was fired for his lack of offensive philosophy and abrasive personality. He clearly was not able to get the best from Steph and Klay. Also, if you think Groce and Jesus is borderline too much, there is video of Mark Jackson spreading the "Good Word" on a street corner with his children. It's super creepy

Edit: JKaat beat me to it but here's the video. Still want this guy?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kFNY8pRrs

#5,940      
Matt McCall would be a good up and comer coach if Whitman goes that route again?

Keatts > McCall in up and comer tier.

I'm not a big Mark Jackson fan, he was not a great presence in GSW (decent coach, but got let go because he feuded with everyone around him in the org). Personally, I'm a little less sold on the need for NBA ties. I HIGHLY doubt that it would be Billy D.

Ultimately, I just want to get this whole thing over with rather than read more absolutes from people making vague statements that are more likely to be right than wrong who then get passed off as being insiders -- saying it's not this guy and betting on the field is not insider info, it's just playing smart betting odds.

#5,942      

Jkat00

Champaign, IL
Mark Jackson would be an awful hire in my opinion and I don't think it'd ever happen regardless. He was a fantastic defensive coach and helped nurture a winning attitude in Golden State but was fired for his lack of offensive philosophy and abrasive personality. He clearly was not able to get the best from Steph and Klay. Also, if you think Groce and Jesus is borderline too much, there is video of Mark Jackson spreading the "Good Word" on a street corner with his children. It's super creepy

Edit: JKaat beat me to it but here's the video. Still want this guy?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kFNY8pRrs

Ummm wow

#5,943      

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
Majerle would be a very tough get...even with Colangelo figured in...he has publicly stated his loyalty to the GCU program and is very grateful for Colangelo getting him in the door...

This said, Colangelo, I believe would have a vested interest also being the profitability of the university especially upcoming years.He knows where his bread is buttered, because yes Majerle has been pretty incredible there. Very doubtful Majerle would even field the call, other that simply a courtesy.
So because Majerle is grateful for an opportunity, he is going to banish himself to eternal obscurity? That seems like a stretch, regardless of his public appreciation for the program and opportunity. I would think if Colangelo thought highly of Majerle, he would be excited to send him from a low D1 program to Illinois.

#5,944      

Him and J Leman would like each other :D

#5,945      
So because Majerle is grateful for an opportunity, he is going to banish himself to eternal obscurity? That seems like a stretch, regardless of his public appreciation for the program and opportunity. I would think if Colangelo thought highly of Majerle, he would be excited to send him from a low D1 program to Illinois.

I would imagine its a combination of being grateful, family happiness, recruiting connections related to being Dan Majerle in the southwest, reasonable expectations and climate. That could keep me somewhere for a long time too.

#5,947      

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
I would imagine its a combination of being grateful, family happiness, recruiting connections related to being Dan Majerle in the southwest, reasonable expectations and climate. That could keep me somewhere for a long time too.

Have you seen the Illinois climate lately? It's getting real nice here :)

#5,950      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO

Majerle made some pretty good cash with a nice, long NBA career. Plus he has a number of successful restaurants in the Phoenix area. Doubt he's going to leave Phoenix. Nice article on him here:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/dan-majerle-leads-grand-canyon-to-startling-success-021816

Status
Not open for further replies.