3/18 Games

That is another argument that's been rehashed many times here. Bo Ryan recruited very well at Wisconsin. The "Bo Ryan" did it with all 3-star recruits" is a myth.
Bo turned several 3 stars into excellent players and in a few cases All B10 players. He was smart on who he went after. His teams were excellent because of good college coaching, not top 10 recruiting classes. He recruited "smart" and he didnt thrive on highly ranked classes.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Bo turned several 3 stars into excellent players and in a few cases All B10 players. He was smart on who he went after. His teams were excellent because of good college coaching, not top 10 recruiting classes. He recruited "smart" and he didnt thrive on highly ranked classes.

Yes, he did a good job coaching up 3-star players, but they also had their share of 5-stars and 4-stars (compared to Illinois, not Kentucky or Duke).

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Don’t look now but, we may not be done with top seeds bowing out this weekend. Xavier/Florida St tied 1:49 to go.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Don’t look now but, we may not be done with top seeds bowing out this weekend. Xavier/Florida St tied 1:49 to go.

GO FSU! Xavier is always getting our recruiting targets lately. They need to go down. :thumb:

I think this tournament is playing into Duke and Coach K getting another NC.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
That is another argument that's been rehashed many times here. Bo Ryan recruited very well at Wisconsin. The "Bo Ryan" did it with all 3-star recruits" is a myth.

Check out the 5-star and 4-star recruits Bo Ryan signed

I don't think a 5 star in 2003 and 2012 really count as knocking it out of the ball park.

Our top 10:
Ayo:27
Richmond:29
Leonard:30
McBride:31
JCL:37
Black:42
Randle:52
Nunn:56
Carwell:56
Henry:61

Wisconsin Top 10:
Butch: 10
Dekker:12
Krabbenhoft: 28
Stiemsma:34
Hughes:62
Bohannon:63
Reuvers:66
Leuer:81
Nankivil:86
Berggren:85

They only had 1 top 100 recruit on their 2014 and 2015 Final 4 teams, and that was Dekker. 2015 did have a Freshman Pritzl who was #94 but he redshirted after breaking his foot and played a whole 4 minutes.

I agree that a great coach — or great coaching staff — is a mix of both, good teachers of the game and good recruiters.

In my estimation, Weber’s problem was that he was too loyal to the assistants he originally brought on board, even after it became clear they weren’t good recruiters. If you are a good recruiting coach, you bring in assistants who can teach the game. On the other hand, if you are a good teaching coach (like Weber), you bring in assistants who can recruit. A good mix of both is the goal. I thing Brad Underwood (who appears to be an X's and O's guy) gets this, as illustrated by his choice of assistants.

Except for Jerrance Howard, none of Weber’s assistants were, to the best of my recollection, good recruiters. (Perhaps a reflection of the culture at Purdue under Keady ?) A good indication of that is what happened to them after leaving Illinois. Good recruiting assistants would have been picked up by other top flight programs; again, to my recollection, none (except for Howard) of Weber’s were.

He was (and is) a good, decent man and was a good ambassador for the University and I was sorry to see him dismissed, although probably inevitable by 2012. I think after a couple of desultory years post 2005 Guenther should have pulled him aside and told him to ashcan his assistants and go out and hire recruiters or else. That would have been at a time when good recruiters would still have been interested and the program could have been rejuvenated in a relatively short time. But now that’s all water under the bridge. I certainly wish him well.

I've decided I hope FSU goes as far as possible so we can keep hearing the Seminole war chant or whatever to enrage all the PC folks out there!

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
I think this tournament is playing into Duke and Coach K getting another NC.

Ugh! Let’s hope not.

Though if not them probably looking at Villanova, Kansas or Kentucky getting another one.

I also think Michigan has to feel like they have not played well in either game so far and yet survived. And their region is opening up for them.

Down goes Xavier!

The good news to that is Tevian Jones can schedule his waste of time errr uhhh OV there & get that out of the way. Would rather know his answer or pick sooner than later.

I don't think a 5 star in 2003 and 2012 really count as knocking it out of the ball park.

Our top 10:
Ayo:27
Richmond:29
Leonard:30
McBride:31
JCL:37
Black:42
Randle:52
Nunn:56
Carwell:56
Henry:61

Wisconsin Top 10:
Butch: 10
Dekker:12
Krabbenhoft: 28
Stiemsma:34
Hughes:62
Bohannon:63
Reuvers:66
Leuer:81
Nankivil:86
Berggren:85

They only had 1 top 100 recruit on their 2014 and 2015 Final 4 teams, and that was Dekker. 2015 did have a Freshman Pritzl who was #94 but he redshirted after breaking his foot and played a whole 4 minutes.

I am not trying to say that Ryan wasn't a great coach, but these players you listed show one thing very much in Wisconsin's favor. I think all, or almost all of Wisconsin's players on their list played four years.

On the other hand, I think only two of Illinois' players on that list used up all their eligibility: Randle and McBride. And McBride was a shell of himself because of chronic injury problems. Ayo hasn't even put on an Illinois uniform, yet, Richmond didn't even play one whole season, Leonard played two seasons, etc.

Glad for Weber

Count me in as being glad for Bruce Weber. I suspect the NCAA committee doesn't do him any favors. Perhaps this goes back to when he complained, appropriately, about the Illini being sent out to California one year for the first round. It's as if the committee now seeds him 8 or 9 so that he is forced to play a 1-seed and be boxed out of the Sweet 16. Isn't that what happened last year? For once, their little tricks have backfired. Good for him. Beat Kentucky!

Yeah, anyone not happy for Bruce needs to get over it. He was a good coach and was loyal, UI was the one that got rid of him and not vice versa (like Self). It was just time for a change for both parties and it has worked out well for him and hopefully will work out well for us soon.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland

Check out the 5-star and 4-star recruits Bo Ryan signed

Actually, I think you both are right. Yes, he did get his share of highly ranked guys, but he also landed...

Hayes
Happ
Brust
Jackson
Showalter

All of whom were three stars, and major contributors. Bo did know how to locate talent beyond the top tier.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Man, Leonard Hamilton has been around for a long time. I'm glad for him that he's back in the limelight.

Deleted member 631370

D
Count me in as being glad for Bruce Weber. I suspect the NCAA committee doesn't do him any favors. Perhaps this goes back to when he complained, appropriately, about the Illini being sent out to California one year for the first round. It's as if the committee now seeds him 8 or 9 so that he is forced to play a 1-seed and be boxed out of the Sweet 16. Isn't that what happened last year? For once, their little tricks have backfired. Good for him. Beat Kentucky!

I'm happy for Weber, too.

But an 8/9 seed was appropriate for KSU this year. I don't think they deserved anything higher. And frankly, he got the greatest gift an 8/9 winner has gotten in NCAA tournament history: a 16-seed in the second round.

Hate to say it, though, but this sets up Kentucky to go to the Final Four.

I like Tex AM starting 5. Hogg, Davis, and Williams 3 big boys. Too much standing around at times, but I like what Kennedy with that roster. Elijah Thomas transferred out, he would of been a super sub.

BU imho would coach the heck out of that team. Probably would have to back off the pressure d. The Syracuse team built the way BU needs to recruit.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Actually, I think you both are right. Yes, he did get his share of highly ranked guys, but he also landed...

Hayes
Happ
Brust
Jackson
Showalter

All of whom were three stars, and major contributors. Bo did know how to locate talent beyond the top tier.

Top of the list would be Big Frank.