Bill Cubit gets 2-year deal as Illinois Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoxdogs

Gurnee, IL
This is the type of decision that bodes well with the elderly lady Illini fan..." I know we got beat by 40 points, but the boys fought hard.". Welcome to the Vanilla Jungle...

Well this almost elderly lady Illini/ marching illini fan prefers fight to folding but gets pretty tired of the football program not keeping up their end of the bargain and getting some decent national exposure for the band.

We have to get consistent and prove the fans care before we can hope to lure a top coach. BTW marching illini alums are directing college bands all over the country. How is it that the Illini haven't produced any coaches that matter?

Feeling pretty annoyed today even tho I get the logic of the hire.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
I assume they extended Cubit before the game so as to avoid the additional embarrassment of extending him after a loss. Didn't this team have talent which projected to 7-5 or possibly 8-4?

That probably wasn't counting all the injuries that happened.

Anyway, while I hate this move, it makes sense. Everything is a mess. Of course, MT should have been fired earlier to make this easier, but perhaps this is for the better. Trying to compete with a bunch of "more attractive" jobs might have gotten us another Beckman-esque hire. I doubt the team does well enough next year to keep Cubit another year (if I'm wrong, great!), but at least by then the situation at the top should be stabilized.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
My wife and I went to the game today. I was dreaming of a Babers offense when Caleb Day hurdled the punt shield, which is apparently a thing. I went to Twitter to see if anyone knew that rule and came across a tweet for the 2yr extension.

Instant dread.

I never fathomed anyone on staff during the Beckman issues being retained next year. How those issues can be isolated to one man is beyond me. Apparently not isolated enough to not take down the AD.

The university is going to take their time making the hires in order, but I'm not convinced that any of it will go right.

I think it's time to delete my bookmarks for awhile. Tracking this stuff 10 times a day is simply torture when none of it ever goes well.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
AD Paul Kowalczyk on 2-year deal: "It's not ideal but for now, I don't think it'll put a dagger in the heart of the program."

translation: "hey, this wasn't my idea."

Yep. And how would searching for the best possible coach available "put a dagger in the heart of the program"? Kowalczyk and company simply took the easy way out, which is quite common these days among too many top officials in the state of Illinois.

Thought this was a joke. I'm going to not answering the calls for donations to simply put them on ignore.

AD Paul Kowalczyk on 2-year deal: "It's not ideal but for now, I don't think it'll put a dagger in the heart of the program."

translation: "hey, this wasn't my idea."

It won't put a dagger in the heart of the program. It'll just cut a bunch of tendons and stab a few organs, allowing it to agonizingly bleed to death while being picked at by wolves.

A dagger to the heart would at least be merciful.

Deleted member 19448

D
I used to believe this program could be great given the right coach. I now know that is a dream that will not be realized probably in my lifetime and I'm only 44. Truly disgusted with this acceptance of mediocrity.

orangeswarm76

hastings Nebraska
This whole thing has us labeled as worst run school in the nation. I love watching the kids play but the people running this show are a joke. Someone needs to step in and stop this crap . We will get no recruits above 3 stars and this place will be even more undesirable for the next coach . Been a fan all of my life but I'm definitely leaning towards giving up on this school until someone with some brains takes over. For now I am done.

You know people had a fit on here when John Holocek from Loyola highschool was mentioned ( by the way congrats on his 1st state title over my overmatched RedHawks lol) but I bet most of you would rather have him now than an extended cubit lol.. I still don't get the uproar that suggestion caused I mean Holocek was an Illini star went on to play successfully in the NFL and learn from minds like Marv levy wade Phillips etc...now is a really successful coach at a top Illinois highschool. I think we could do a lot worse people

Guys, it's been a tremendous pleasure wasting time on here with you all. I'll miss it.

I am no longer an Illini fan.

Yeah, that was my initial reaction. But upon thinking, I'm not sure what I expected given the state of the University in general. Cubit certainly does not deserve the job, but do you think Babers (or anyone good) would come with the University in this dysfunctional state? I wouldn't take this job. I can only speak from the faculty position, but University stability and commitment to your specific program is crucial in recruitment.

Actually, this is far worse than having a dysfunctional athletic department. We have to overcome the dysfunction to hire an AD. That could prove to be a real obstacle.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
Yeah, that was my initial reaction. But upon thinking, I'm not sure what I expected given the state of the University in general. Cubit certainly does not deserve the job, but do you think Babers (or anyone good) would come with the University in this dysfunctional state? I wouldn't take this job. I can only speak from the faculty position, but University stability and commitment to your specific program is crucial in recruitment.

Actually, this is far worse than having a dysfunctional athletic department. We have to overcome the dysfunction to hire an AD. That could prove to be a real obstacle.

+1. We have far more important things to fix before the head football coach. I'm hopeful we can somehow figure out how to get it all right the next time around. In the meantime, it would be great if Cubit could hold it together for a few years. The bar isn't set very high so I'm just hopeful we can be around that 5-7 win mark in each of the next couple years and continue to get decent 3* athletes.

KRSAS

Charleston, IL
You know people had a fit on here when John Holocek from Loyola highschool was mentioned ( by the way congrats on his 1st state title over my overmatched RedHawks lol) but I bet most of you would rather have him now than an extended cubit lol.. I still don't get the uproar that suggestion caused I mean Holocek was an Illini star went on to play successfully in the NFL and learn from minds like Marv levy wade Phillips etc...now is a really successful coach at a top Illinois highschool. I think we could do a lot worse people

I wouldn't be against hiring Holecek to be on staff and work his way up. We definitely need someone with Chicago-Illini ties to get recruiting back on track. I don't know if he could ever be a head coach at the D-1 Level but as a assistant, I could go with that. The right assistant coaches in place would make a world of difference.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL

2 words... Gerry Faust!

KRSAS

Charleston, IL
I wonder how this combination of coaches would work out at Illinois:

Head Coach: Bill Cubit
Offensive Coordinator: Norm Chow
Defensive Coordinator: Paul Rhoads
Special Teams Coach: Matthew Smiley

With the exception of Smiley, they are all washed up head coaches but I wonder if that chemistry would actually work at Illinois????

I like Cubit, but what exactly did anyone see that made him worth extending?

He has been utterly unable to adapt the offense or exploit mismatches. I get that drops happen but this being a problem from week1 to week 13 is pretty much a clear sign that this should nor have happened. Injuries happen but come on this was pretty much a train wreck on offense.

God forbid as a interim AD you have to make a actual decision. This is the closest you can get to saying, "Nevermind we'll deal with it later."

Deal with it now, or hire someone to. You don't get to play boss by firing Mike Thomas and then get cold feet and not make an actual coaching decision. This extension is nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.