Box Office Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardite

Terre Haute, IN
Okay, so I just saw a preview for The Giver. I loved the book, but I'm unsure on it being made into a movie. I watched the trailer, and it appears to be much different than the book. I am very intrigued. It comes out August 15th.

Last edited:
Okay, so I just saw a preview for The Giver. I loved the book, but I'm unsure on it being made into a movie. I watched the trailer, and it appears to be much different than the book. I am very intrigued. It comes out August 15th.

I'm also intrigued! When I was reading the cast, though, I noticed an example of "one of these things is not like the other."

-Jeff Bridges (6x Academy Award nominee, 1x winner)
-Meryl Streep (18x Academy Award nominee, 3x winner)
-Taylor Swift?

Granted, her role is somewhat small, but she carries such a big name with her to the screen. It will be interesting.

Also, I pictured Jonas to be younger in the book than what Brenton Thwaites appears to be.

But this is just my inner film cynic coming into fruition. When I take a step back, I am excited about this coming out; sometime in August I believe.

Last edited:
In related freshly released trailer news, David Fincher's next thriller, Gone Girl (theatrical release: October 1st), put one out the other day. Ben Affleck stars alongside Rosamund Pike.

[YOUTUBE]Ym3LB0lOJ0o[/YOUTUBE]

David Fincher, in my opinion, is the master of the thriller in the modern era with films like Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, among several others.

I'm debating whether or not to read the novel by Gillian Flynn beforehand. Have any of you movie-loving IL members read it?

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
In related freshly released trailer news, David Fincher's next thriller, Gone Girl (theatrical release: October 1st), put one out the other day. Ben Affleck stars alongside Rosamund Pike.

[YOUTUBE]Ym3LB0lOJ0o[/YOUTUBE]

David Fincher, in my opinion, is the master of the thriller in the modern era with films like Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, among several others.

I'm debating whether or not to read the novel by Gillian Flynn beforehand. Have any of you movie-loving IL members read it?

I read the book and it's terrific. Since I read the book about a year ago and I'm an avid reader, by the time I see the movie I will know the characters and basic plot but I will have forgotten little details that may or may not appear in the movie. Reading the novel first doesn't take away any pleasure from seeing a good movie IMO. I don't like reading a novel and seeing the movie the next week but with a little time between to forget, why not enjoy both?

When I read the book I didn't know a movie was forthcoming. FWIW, I didn't imagine Affleck or Pike as the characters in the book.

I read the book and it's terrific. Since I read the book about a year ago and I'm an avid reader, by the time I see the movie I will know the characters and basic plot but I will have forgotten little details that may or may not appear in the movie. Reading the novel first doesn't take away any pleasure from seeing a good movie IMO. I don't like reading a novel and seeing the movie the next week but with a little time between to forget, why not enjoy both?

When I read the book I didn't know a movie was forthcoming. FWIW, I didn't imagine Affleck or Pike as the characters in the book.

Fantastic to hear! I've heard it is a great read, but I'll certainly trust the advice from a fellow Wisconsinite!

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo novel (and the two sequels) prior to the US film being released and enjoyed the film. Like you, I try to enjoy both the book and film versions. When a book is turned into a film, it is the screenwriter's and director's adaptation / interpretation. Because of this, I appreciate another artist's take on it; even if some details are included, twisted, or omitted.

SalukiIllini

Evansville, IN
Im a little late to this party but I thought the new Transformers was the best out of all 4 so far. I wasn't big into the 2nd and 3rd one.

X-Men was a huge let down.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was excellent. What a great reboot that was. The first series was terrible.

Oh and Bale is the best Batman actor. No question. :)

Sorry to post this here since it technically doesn't belong, but I had a chance to watch "Zero Dark Thirty" again last night for the third time.

It only served to reinforce my position that Jessica Chastain got absolutely freaking robbed of the Best Actress Oscar in 2013. She carried that movie, and a very good movie it was, in a way that no one else did that year.

*steps off soap box*

Sorry to post this here since it technically doesn't belong, but I had a chance to watch "Zero Dark Thirty" again last night for the third time.

It only served to reinforce my position that Jessica Chastain got absolutely freaking robbed of the Best Actress Oscar in 2013. She carried that movie, and a very good movie it was, in a way that no one else did that year.

*steps off soap box*

Technically that was the 2012 film season (the awards aired in 2013), but regardless I had Jessica Chastain ranked #2 for Best Actress category that year with Jennifer Lawrence at #1. That's not knocking Chastain, I just feel that Lawrence's performance was more powerful and impacting. I still consider 2012 to be the best year of film since 1994.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Technically that was the 2012 film season (the awards aired in 2013), but regardless I had Jessica Chastain ranked #2 for Best Actress category that year with Jennifer Lawrence at #1. That's not knocking Chastain, I just feel that Lawrence's performance was more powerful and impacting. I still consider 2012 to be the best year of film since 1994.

1994--That's intersting. The year of Forrest Gump, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, and Pulp Fiction was a great year? Just my opinion, honestly, but that was one of the most disappointing years in my memory. There were some bright spots with Blue Sky, The Hudsucker Proxy, Natural Born Killers, Exotica, The Last Seduction, and The Professional, but overall I find that the big movies of that year were all pretty much fluff. Maybe it's just my overall disdain for Jim Carrey, Forrest Gump and post-Dogs Tarantino.

For me, the big year in the 90's was 1992. Unforgiven, The Player, Bram Stoker's Dracula (I'm one of the 15 people in the world that think its a great film), Last of the Mohicans, Like Water for Chocolate, Chaplin, Reservoir Dogs, El Mariachi, Hard Boiled, Louis Malle's Damage, Passion Fish, Bad Lieutenant, and my all-time favorite con-man movie, Diggstown. 95 comes in close with Seven, Apollo 13, 12 Monkeys, Heat, Wild Bill, Toy Story, and The Quick and the Dead. Plus the update to the Bond franchise with GoldenEye.

1994--That's intersting. The year of Forrest Gump, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, and Pulp Fiction was a great year? Just my opinion, honestly, but that was one of the most disappointing years in my memory. There were some bright spots with Blue Sky, The Hudsucker Proxy, Natural Born Killers, Exotica, The Last Seduction, and The Professional, but overall I find that the big movies of that year were all pretty much fluff. Maybe it's just my overall disdain for Jim Carrey, Forrest Gump and post-Dogs Tarantino.

For me, the big year in the 90's was 1992. Unforgiven, The Player, Bram Stoker's Dracula (I'm one of the 15 people in the world that think its a great film), Last of the Mohicans, Like Water for Chocolate, Chaplin, Reservoir Dogs, El Mariachi, Hard Boiled, Louis Malle's Damage, Passion Fish, Bad Lieutenant, and my all-time favorite con-man movie, Diggstown. 95 comes in close with Seven, Apollo 13, 12 Monkeys, Heat, Wild Bill, Toy Story, and The Quick and the Dead. Plus the update to the Bond franchise with GoldenEye.

1994 also brought The Lion King, Clear and Present Danger, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Quiz Show, Bullets over Broadway, The Crow, Little Big league & Angels in the Outfield (personal nostalgia), Ed Wood, etc... You can find examples of films like this in any year, of course.

I'm no fan of The Mask or Dumb and Dumber, but I do appreciate Jim Carrey's work in The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I completely get the disdain for certain actors; mine are Tom Cruise and Ben Stiller.

As far as the films from 1992 that you mentioned, not too many know of Bad Lieutenant. I did plenty of cringing during that one. When he pulled over the two girls? Yikes... Despite my cringing, it is still a great film. I'm also curious about what turned you off to Tarantino after Reservoir Dogs? I'm a big fan (with Pulp Fiction being my favorite film).

Last edited:

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
1994 also brought The Lion King, Clear and Present Danger, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Quiz Show, Bullets over Broadway, The Crow, Little Big league & Angels in the Outfield (personal nostalgia), Ed Wood, etc... You can find examples of films like this in any year, of course.

I'm no fan of The Mask or Dumb and Dumber, but I do appreciate Jim Carrey's work in The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I completely get the disdain for certain actors; mine are Tom Cruise and Ben Stiller.

As far as the films from 1992 that you mentioned, not too many know of Bad Lieutenant. I did plenty of cringing during that one. When he pulled over the two girls? Yikes... Despite my cringing, it is still a great film. I'm also curious about what turned you off to Tarantino after Reservoir Dogs? I'm a big fan (with Pulp Fiction being my favorite film).

I was maybe a bit over the top with my earlier post, but 1994 in particular held a lot of disappointment for me. A little context--in 1992 I decided to go back to school and study film. I had aspirations of writing and/or directing and decided to take the leap. As it happened, 1992 was (at least to my taste) a tremendous year for film, not only for major Hollywood fare, but also for independent and foreign films. It set a very very high bar. Reservoir Dogs, in particular, came from what appeared to be a unique voice in film that was continuing the boom in American indie film that began to blossom a few years earlier with Sex, Lies, and Videotape.

Flash forward to 1994. QT has written the screenplays for Natural Born Killers (which I thought was tremendous. Oliver Stone was probably the greatest filmmaker of the 1990s) and True Romance (which was fun but a horribly flawed script. Sonny Chiba--say no more), and word is that his next film is going to be epic. I saw it with a bunch of my film school friends and we were pretty evenly split--half loved it and the other half despised it. The funny thing is that those receptions were mostly based off of the same things.

So the specific gripes I have with QT are:
1. He's horribly derivative. Yes, he "mashes up" from multiple genres/inspirations, but it is derivative none-the-less. I'm all for homages and winks to films/filmmakers when they work within the flow and tone of a film, but Tarantino wears his influences on his sleeve.

One thing I forgot to mention is that he spoke at my school a while after NBK came out and essentially said that he's out to demonstrate to his audience how many cool films he's seen. He's going to pack as many references in as he can, regardless of whether or not it makes the film work.

2. His dialogue is--in my opinion--deplorable. Even parts of Reservoir Dogs are hard to listen to (like the Madonna bit), and don't do anything to advance the film other than to thrown in "cool" dialogue.

3. He casts himself in many of his films, and he is a terrible actor. The Jimmie scenes in PF crash to a screeching halt. The same thing happens in Desperado when he's on screen.

4. He either can't or chooses not to maintain an even tone in many of his films. Pulp Fiction is all over the place, as is Django, and especially the Kill Bills. On the other hand, Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds are, for the most part, films that flow quite well. They're also the two that manage to channel QT's fan-boy-ism into the story rather than derail it.

That's obviously all just my opinion, and sorry if my original post--or this one for that matter--came off as offensive. The over the top love shown to Tarantino by some of his fans doesn't do anything to temper my disdain either. In other words, it's fun to have someone to hate. :D

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Here, here! Someone else who is just "Meh" on Tarantino. Loved Inglourious Bastards and I actually did like some aspects of the Kill Bills and Pulp Fiction, but yes, most seem horribly derivative. If he spent as much time on story and pace as he did on fitting as much witty dialogue into each of his scenes as possible he would have potential. Still, I do appreciate the fact that he embraces old school B movie cinematic cliches and uses them in such a way that produces a certain mood and atmosphere to each of his movies that (to me and many others) is undeniably cool.

As for recent movies I've seen, I just recently got a chance to watch Dallas Buyers Club. By FAR the best performance I've seen Matthew McConaughy give (or Jared Leto for that matter). Compelling character and story (reminds me a bit of his True Detective persona in the present). Leto plays an entirely convincing woman.

Lawrence was good, and once I saw SLPB, she was better than I expected (who knew she could dance?), but I tire a bit of Hollywood rewarding actors for portraying people with mental illnesses. Just a pet peeve of mine.

And as I said, Chastain carried ZD30 in a way JLaw did not carry her movie.

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
4. On the other hand, Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds are, for the most part, films that flow quite well. They're also the two that manage to channel QT's fan-boy-ism into the story rather than derail it.

:D

Jackie Brown is from and pretty faithful to an Elmore Leonard novel, Rum Punch. That's the reason it is superior to most of QT's films IMO. Elmore Leonard could write fantastic dialog and create great characters.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Jackie Brown is from and pretty faithful to an Elmore Leonard novel, Rum Punch. That's the reason it is superior to most of QT's films IMO. Elmore Leonard could write fantastic dialog and create great characters.

Dead right. I love Elmore Leonard, and most of the film adaptations of his stuff have been very good.

I just finished reading "Raylan" a couple of months ago and am currently enjoying season 4 of Justified, can't wait to get in to season 5, which I've heard is tremendous.

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
Dead right. I love Elmore Leonard, and most of the film adaptations of his stuff have been very good.

I just finished reading "Raylan" a couple of months ago and am currently enjoying season 4 of Justified, can't wait to get in to season 5, which I've heard is tremendous.

I read Raylan and then saw a few of the situations from the novel woven into Justified. I was a little disappointed in the last season (5) of Justified but it was still better than most of what is on TV and worth the hour a week.

Caught "Get on Up" tonight. I came away impressed with Chadwick Boseman's performance as James Brown. He's quite the talented young actor. His performance stood out in a movie that was entertaining, despite having a plot that was scattered at times. Overall, I felt it was a fitting tribute to The Hardest Working Man in Show Business.

Last edited:

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Caught "Get on Up" tonight. I came away impressed with Chadwick Boseman's performance as James Brown. He's quite the talented young actor. His performance stood out in a movie that was entertaining, despite having a plot that was scattered at times. Overall, I felt it was a fitting tribute to The Hardest Working Man in Show Business.

I'm interested in seeing it for the performances, but everyone I've talked to who has seen it says that it completely overlooks Brown's violent and self-destructive nature. For those who don't know, JB was an unrepentant wife beater, had significant drug problems, and a myriad of other brushes with the law.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
On a more positive note... (Sorry, Ian, I don't intend to critique everything you say), I saw "A Most Wanted Man" last weekend. Like Anton Corbjin's other film "The American," this one has a fairly slow pace and not a ton of real action at any point, but it is very rewarding. I'd compare it favorably with "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" (and not just because they are both based on Lecarre novels) in that it's all about character and how minor actions influence large issues. Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance is amazing, as is the one given by Grigoriy Dobrygin. Rachel McAdams does an admirable job as well.

If you liked The American or Tinker, Tailor, I highly recommend it. If you didn't care for either of those you may want to pass.

I'm interested in seeing it for the performances, but everyone I've talked to who has seen it says that it completely overlooks Brown's violent and self-destructive nature. For those who don't know, JB was an unrepentant wife beater, had significant drug problems, and a myriad of other brushes with the law.

The film covers all of the aspects of Brown's life that you mention; although none of them are a focus. In fact, the drug use was essentially an afterthought. Knowing a bit about Brown the man, you would probably tell that the film made it seem like Brown was a better person than he actually was. The thing I was expecting more of, and actually disappointed me, was more screen time for Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis. While their performances were strong, I was was let down that they were so brief.

On a more positive note... (Sorry, Ian, I don't intend to critique everything you say), I saw "A Most Wanted Man" last weekend. Like Anton Corbjin's other film "The American," this one has a fairly slow pace and not a ton of real action at any point, but it is very rewarding. I'd compare it favorably with "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" (and not just because they are both based on Lecarre novels) in that it's all about character and how minor actions influence large issues. Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance is amazing, as is the one given by Grigoriy Dobrygin. Rachel McAdams does an admirable job as well.

If you liked The American or Tinker, Tailor, I highly recommend it. If you didn't care for either of those you may want to pass.

Haha, no offense taken, Ransom!

Philip Seymour Hoffman was my favorite actor before his passing, so I am greatly looking forward to this. I enjoyed both The American and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

It's not showing at the theater in my city, but it is in Little Rock, so I just have to find the time to make the trip.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy. It was great, lots of action, humor, and surprisingly heart. If you like Marvel movies, you'll like this.

Just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy. It was great, lots of action, humor, and surprisingly heart. If you like Marvel movies, you'll like this.

Chris Pratt will be one of the hottest names in Hollywood because of this film. He seems like a great person, too, so I am very happy for him.

I'm a fan of the Marvel films and I'll hopefully be seeing this Tuesday! Glad you enjoyed it!

I did a double feature yesterday. Guardians of the Galaxy and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Guardians was a blast! I really had tons of fun watching it and highly recommend it. Lots of great action and humor. My comic reading days are long past and I wasn't really familiar with them at all. What little I read about the comic series was that it has sort of muddled along without generating a huge following. I never thought they could pull off the Rocket Racoon character in a way that would be convincing to me. So how and why it ended up as a movie is somewhat baffling. But I'm sure glad they did!

Ape was fun too. I probably shouldn't have watched it right after Guardians though. I just have a weird disconnect with the CGI apes. I have a certain fondness for the apes from the TV series. :)

More recent movies I've seen. Snowpiercer was surprisingly good as a unique twist on the Dystopian genre. Zero Theorem, a Terry Gilliam piece, was good. If you like Gilliam films you'll enjoy it, if you don't, stay away. Mr Nobody, thought provoking sci fi/romance, I enjoyed it thoroughly but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Movies I hope to see in the near future, Under the Skin and Lucy, both ScarJo films.

Theater trailer for Gone Girl looked really good!

pizzaman

Northwoods of Wisconsin
I picked up the dvd of "Twenty Feet From Stardom." It's a documentary about background singers who have had great careers but never emerged as solo stars. If you like rock/pop music you will enjoy this film. Featured singers include Darlene Love, Merry Clayton, Lisa Fisher, Claudia Lennear and Judith Hill. Commentary comes from Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger, Sting, Stevie Wonder, Bette Midler and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.