Chicago Cubs 2018 Season

Brewers trade for Mike Moustakas. Looks like they are all-in for this year. Wonder where they will play him since Shaw is their 3B and Aguilar at 1B.

Apparently they will move Shaw to 2B. Looks like they don't really care about infield defense.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Brewers trade for Mike Moustakas. Looks like they are all-in for this year. Wonder where they will play him since Shaw is their 3B and Aguilar at 1B.

Apparently they will move Shaw to 2B. Looks like they don't really care about infield defense.

would have thought they'd go starting pitching but I guess not. Still could add a pitcher before Tuesday.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Cardinals trade Pham and international money to Rays for a trio of marginal prospects.

Romero was a non-prospect. 23 years old and still at A-Ball.

The Cubs didn't give up any of their top 30 prospects for Hamels, Chavez, and Kintzler. Chavez and Kintlzer should be on the Cubs' playoff roster, even assuming Morrow is back and healthy. Hamels could be the Cubs fourth playoff starter if Darvish isn't back and healthy. So, basically, giving up nothing of consequence for three guys who could/should be contributors on a playoff roster is pretty good.

Certainly would have liked to see the Cubs get a better starting pitcher than Hamels, but I don't really see anyone the Cubs could have gotten that was significantly better than Hamels in 2018.

And the Brewers are apparently going with the worst defensive infield in baseball history with Schoop at shortstop and Shaw at second. That should be fun to watch.

And the Brewers are apparently going with the worst defensive infield in baseball history with Schoop at shortstop and Shaw at second. That should be fun to watch.

They added zero starting pitching also. I think the cubs moves show a mature front office. Hopefully it also means Darvish will be back, whether he can perform is obviously still questionable. Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, Montgomery, and Hamels a top 10 starting rotation.

Romero was a non-prospect. 23 years old and still at A-Ball.

The Cubs didn't give up any of their top 30 prospects for Hamels, Chavez, and Kintzler. Chavez and Kintlzer should be on the Cubs' playoff roster, even assuming Morrow is back and healthy. Hamels could be the Cubs fourth playoff starter if Darvish isn't back and healthy. So, basically, giving up nothing of consequence for three guys who could/should be contributors on a playoff roster is pretty good.

Certainly would have liked to see the Cubs get a better starting pitcher than Hamels, but I don't really see anyone the Cubs could have gotten that was significantly better than Hamels in 2018.

Impeccably well-done deadline dealing by Theo & Jed.

It was interesting to follow the Pirates adding the arms of Keone Kela (who I like very much) and Chris Archer. They're going for it!

The second half will be fun to watch.

[ W ] #62

Welcome to the Cubs, Cole Hamels!
What a game. His pitches were reminiscent of his stuff in 2015. Hit 96 twice for the first time since July 2016. Of course, adrenaline might have been running high, but his pitches were breaking bad regardless.

Obviously, one game, a season does not make, but for a 4/5 starter, what more could you really ask for?

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
What a game. His pitches were reminiscent of his stuff in 2015. Hit 96 twice for the first time since July 2016. Of course, adrenaline might have been running high, but his pitches were breaking bad regardless.

Obviously, one game, a season does not make, but for a 4/5 starter, what more could you really ask for?

Ive seen the movie before:

former #1 ace pitcher, in the twilight of his career, gets traded to a team with a chance to make it to the WS and therefore a chance for another ring, gets a fire in his belly and goes 8-2 down the stretch to become the #2 guy in the playoff rotation.

separated at birth ?
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvlzmu1nmfmztuyndi0otqymjdlyjmyzdbkyzaynwjk.jpeg

Cole Hamels
chris_jacob.jpg

Chris Jacobs from Overhaulin'

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Deunsing and Wilson have been garbage out of the pen. 7.75 million $ combined salary, Deunsing signed for another year at 3.5 million.

Deunsing and Wilson have been garbage out of the pen. 7.75 million $ combined salary, Deunsing signed for another year at 3.5 million.
Eh Wilson has been mediocre, but he's still earned a playoff spot if you ask me (couple months left to determine whether or not this will stick though). His start to the season was impressive, he needs to find that form again but he's at least shown he can do it this season. Duensing on the other hand, should've been sent down before he walked off the field about two weeks ago. Ridiculous he's still up there pitching. Hell, he came in with a 6/7 run lead, in the 8th, and still gave up a HR a couple nights ago. Thats about as low pressure as a pitcher can get. it's obvious he's either lost whatever he had or needs his mechanics reworked. No reason to keep him when Rosario was showing he was twice the pitcher. I guess they are waiting for call ups?

Eh Wilson has been mediocre, but he's still earned a playoff spot if you ask me (couple months left to determine whether or not this will stick though). His start to the season was impressive, he needs to find that form again but he's at least shown he can do it this season. Duensing on the other hand, should've been sent down before he walked off the field about two weeks ago. Ridiculous he's still up there pitching. Hell, he came in with a 6/7 run lead, in the 8th, and still gave up a HR a couple nights ago. Thats about as low pressure as a pitcher can get. it's obvious he's either lost whatever he had or needs his mechanics reworked. No reason to keep him when Rosario was showing he was twice the pitcher. I guess they are waiting for call ups?
Duensing is there over Rosario because he's a left hander. But at some point, the inability to get anyone out should win out over handedness. I think the Cubs would have to DFA Duensing to demote him. Not an inconceivable option at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Duensing came down with an "injury" of some sort.

Much like Chatwood, Duensing's BB/9 has doubled this year compared to his career average. It's a disturbing trend among Cubs pitchers. See also Adam Warren, Yu Darvish, Justin Wilson, Brett Anderson. Pretty much any pitcher that's come to the Cubs from elsewhere and failed has had his walk rate double. It's one of the reasons that Hickey was brought in to replace Bosio.

Duensing is there over Rosario because he's a left hander. But at some point, the inability to get anyone out should win out over handedness. I think the Cubs would have to DFA Duensing to demote him. Not an inconceivable option at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Duensing came down with an "injury" of some sort.
So uh, can you not be surprised if the Cubs win the world series this year? Duensing to the DL with shoulder inflammation, Rosario up.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs won the World Series. But I tend to be the optimist/kool-aid drinker around here.

Haha, you have an ally in me!

It's hard for me to see the pitching getting worse, players are getting healthier (albeit slowly), the defense is more than apt, and the offense leads the NL in scoring.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
[ W ] #63

A win is a win.
tru dat

my bro and I are taking my dad Sunday for his 87th birthday (last week). My boys (one just turned 26 and the other turned 24 today) are joining us. Should be an awesome day. We'll be sitting about 25 rows up right behind home.

If you are there, look for the 5 Dutchmen , all about 6'3" , squeezing our arses into those seats.

tru dat

my bro and I are taking my dad Sunday for his 87th birthday (last week). My boys (one just turned 26 and the other turned 24 today) are joining us. Should be an awesome day. We'll be sitting about 25 rows up right behind home.

If you are there, look for the 5 Dutchmen , all about 6'3" , squeezing our arses into those seats.

Wishing you a wonderful day filled with nice weather and a big W!

I've only had the privilege of going to Wrigley once, but it was a memory I'll never forget.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Lester's ERA over his past six starts is 7.33 and his overall ERA has gone up 1.19 points in that time. His metrics were not good despite the results in the first half and a lot of observers thought he could have a rough second half. So far that is the case and is putting even more pressure on an overworked pen.