Chicago Cubs 2018 Season

That was a sinking 2-seemer right at the bottom of the zone. Almost exactly where the catcher called for it. A perfect pitch for anyone with trouble hitting low heat..

Except that nearly every one of Bote’s hits this year have been low in the zone. He crushes low heat and the Nats intentionally threw it right in his wheelhouse.

That’s the type of thing that gets pitching coaches fired.
Not to quibble over the most exciting play (game?) Of the season, but I watched that pitch several times on DVR, and I thought Wieters wanted it on the outside corner at the bottom of the zone, but it leaked toward the middle at the bottom of the zone.
Also, Weiters' reaction as the ball left the bat was hilarious. It was as if someone had punched him in the gut and he was bent over from the pain.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I appreciate your response! I've enjoyed our interactions over the years on this forum.

With regard to the Quintana/Chapman trade comparisons, I think the prize is still the same, it's just that the Cubs haven't been not yet cashed in on it a second time. Does Quintana have to win a WS game for the optics of the trade to be okay? From my point of view, if he contributes to the push for the Cubs getting another title shot during his tenure on the north side, that's a success. Despite something is definitely being different, I'd do the Quintana trade 100 times out of 100.

As far as karma goes, I'm not a believer either, it just helped me describe the unpredictability of the win/loss aspects of trades in baseball. :)

Generationally, I've been fortunate when it comes to being a Cubs fan. I'm 28-years-old and have been spared a fair amount of heartache and waiting. 2003 hurt, but 2008 against the Dodgers was crushing. When the Cubs won it in 2018, I had lecture the following evening. When Davis hit the game-tying home run, I drafted an email to send to my students that class was canceled. It's still in my "drafts" folder.

Cheers to a long run of Cubs success!

Thanks, appreciate the back and forth with you as well. Appreciate all you and the others have done teaching about advanced stats. Been learning a lot.

Without a doubt, they do not have to win the WS for the Quintana trade to be a success. I think if he gets his walks under control, he'll be more like the guy that pitched for the White Sox, which will definitely help propel them into the playoffs. Can he be that guy? Hope so. Would I make that trade 100 out of 100? Too early to tell right now for me.

You're lucky you didn't have to go through 1984. Was the worst I have ever felt regarding a sports team that I followed. Was 18 and I was so upset they almost brought me to tears. That's what makes what they are doing now so impressive and special, especially for long time suffering fans. Their core is young so no reason to believe they cannot continue doing what they are doing now.

This rotation keeps getting more interesting. Hamels looks like an ace. Lester sporting a second half ERA over 10. Hendricks and Q have been up and down. Lesters got some time to figure things out again, but its about that time of year you kinda know what your getting out of guys like Hendricks and Q. Still hoping Smyly and Darvish can show they deserve to be on the postseason roster, but its looking more and more iffy.

Once Bryant comes back, does Bote really get sent down? Either him or La Stella are really the only options, no?

Xfactr

Lake Forest, IL
I'm just thankful Happ was the pinch runner rather than than the pinch hitter.
What a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
This rotation keeps getting more interesting. Hamels looks like an ace. Lester sporting a second half ERA over 10. Hendricks and Q have been up and down. Lesters got some time to figure things out again, but its about that time of year you kinda know what your getting out of guys like Hendricks and Q. Still hoping Smyly and Darvish can show they deserve to be on the postseason roster, but its looking more and more iffy.

Once Bryant comes back, does Bote really get sent down? Either him or La Stella are really the only options, no?
I think for reasons beyond last night, Bote has earned a spot on the team for the rest of the year.

Who is the odd man out? good question

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Thanks, appreciate the back and forth with you as well. Appreciate all you and the others have done teaching about advanced stats. Been learning a lot.

Without a doubt, they do not have to win the WS for the Quintana trade to be a success. I think if he gets his walks under control, he'll be more like the guy that pitched for the White Sox, which will definitely help propel them into the playoffs. Can he be that guy? Hope so. Would I make that trade 100 out of 100? Too early to tell right now for me.

You're lucky you didn't have to go through 1984. Was the worst I have ever felt regarding a sports team that I followed. Was 18 and I was so upset they almost brought me to tears. That's what makes what they are doing now so impressive and special, especially for long time suffering fans. Their core is young so no reason to believe they cannot continue doing what they are doing now.

true story
I was one year , 4 months out of UI. Was working at Arthur Andersen. Was lucky enough to get chosen , along with about 5 others, to go to a 3 day seminar in LA . I asked a partner that I had impressed on a job here, about getting tix. He called a partner in SD and snagged me two tix to game 5. Part of me didn't want there to be a game 5 , I wanted to sweep , We guys all watched game 1 at OHare. We killed them. Sutcliffe hit a homer. Cubs won like 12-1. We were sure it would be over in 3 or 4 games . Game 2 on Wed aft was a W . know this: Cubs should have hosted 3 games, but MLB forced us to only get 2 due to day / night stuff. We were forced to give away the home field advantage .

Game 3 was Friday night and my new wifey met me out there at LAX. we lost
We watched Game 4 night game in our hotel room. It wasn't over until pretty late. There was some late inning drama. Did Garvey hit a homer ? he was a cub killer like Mike Schmidt was.
the game 4 loss was bittersweet, because it meant we were doing to see Game 5 at Jack Murphy . We left downtown LA early and sat down in left field for the game. It was surreal. We got an early lead and then Durham misses that ball and the rest is sad trombone.

I have lived it. 2016 was like a weight off my shoulders.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
true story
I was one year , 4 months out of UI. Was working at Arthur Andersen. Was lucky enough to get chosen , along with about 5 others, to go to a 3 day seminar in LA . I asked a partner that I had impressed on a job here, about getting tix. He called a partner in SD and snagged me two tix to game 5. Part of me didn't want there to be a game 5 , I wanted to sweep , We guys all watched game 1 at OHare. We killed them. Sutcliffe hit a homer. Cubs won like 12-1. We were sure it would be over in 3 or 4 games . Game 2 on Wed aft was a W . know this: Cubs should have hosted 3 games, but MLB forced us to only get 2 due to day / night stuff. We were forced to give away the home field advantage .

Game 3 was Friday night and my new wifey met me out there at LAX. we lost
We watched Game 4 night game in our hotel room. It wasn't over until pretty late. There was some late inning drama. Did Garvey hit a homer ? he was a cub killer like Mike Schmidt was.
the game 4 loss was bittersweet, because it meant we were doing to see Game 5 at Jack Murphy . We left downtown LA early and sat down in left field for the game. It was surreal. We got an early lead and then Durham misses that ball and the rest is sad trombone.

I have lived it. 2016 was like a weight off my shoulders.

Good story. I believe Garvey hit a homer off of Lee Smith in Game 4.

Yeah, 2016 was definitely like that. I didn’t yell or scream or anything. Just kind of stood there, took a deep breath and whispered “Finally”. Then watched the party around Wrigley on TV for an hour or so.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Or Bryant remains out until September 1st.
that is very likely what will happen. KB may be out even longer. But lets say he's back for playoffs. Who does Bote replace on the 25 man roster?

A pitcher and we go to 12 and not 13 ???? I would sit Chatwood. Monty becomes your long relief guy , should that need ever arise.

that is very likely what will happen. KB may be out even longer. But lets say he's back for playoffs. Who does Bote replace on the 25 man roster?

A pitcher and we go to 12 and not 13 ???? I would sit Chatwood. Monty becomes your long relief guy , should that need ever arise.
Don't they go to a 40-man roster starting in September?

If any of Bryant, Morrow or Darvish come off the DL before September, and no one less gets hurt, De la Rosa will be the one who gets sent down or away. (Not sure De la Rosa’s contract situation, whether they’d be able to send him down without releasing him.). Once September comes, the point is moot.

For the playoffs the Cubs have only carried 11 or 12 pitchers under Maddon. The fifth starter has yet to make the playoff roster. The plan was always that Chatwood wasn’t going to be on the playoff squad anyway.

I would love for Hamels to keep pitching the way he has (or anywhere even close to it) and for a healthy Darvish to have a great September. That would make it so that the Cubs don’t have to rely on either Lester or Quintana. Because right now, I can’t see the Cubs winning a 7-game series if they need starts from either of those guys. They’ve got 8 or so starts to turn things around.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I was 15 years old at the time and I went outside to the backyard and cried on that Sunday evening.

Re: the 25 man playoff roster...

The 13 position players are easy to figure out assuming Bryant is healthy.

There will be 12 pitchers, 4 starters and 8 relievers.

If you were making the decision right now, the starters would be Hendricks, Hamels and the best/healthiest 2 of Quintana, Lester Montgomery and Darvish.

Assuming Morrow is back, the bullpen would be Morrow, Strop, Cisheck, Wilson, Edwards, Kintzler, Chavez and ?. If Montgomery isn’t a starter, he’s in the pen. If he is a starter, it would probably be some other lefty. I’d assume they’d pick De La Rosa now, because if they didn’t prefer him over Rosario, they wouldn’t have signed him and sent Rosario down.

Cubs trade cash to the Royals for OF Terrance Gore.

0 career MLB hits, 21 steals. Professional pinch-runner.

Last edited:

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
wow
what a gem of a game pitched by Hamels. What an acquisition.
Back to back 1-0 wins on the road is indeed pretty rare
7 double plays ties the MLB record.

Hamels wasn't striking guys out, but he was keeping the ball low in the zone and the Pirates had to swing at a lot of them and he basically forced them to hit into the DP's. We all know he's working his !!! off out there, but he really has such a cool and calm looking demeanor, like it isn't that much effort .
he's 3-0, with his one no decision that game vs Schwerzer with the Bote walk off

Hamels as a Cub 3-0, 1 no decision 25 IP, 0.72 ERA

without him, the Cubs are basically tied with the Brewers right now.