English Premier League Thread 2016-2017

Wenger's going to be sacked. This is ridiculous. Gunner's CBs are a joke. Where the hell is Xhaka?

Hats off to the Reds though. Coutinho is very, very good.

A lot of guys who played in the Euros didn't start in their team's opening matches, but cam on as subs late. Payet and Can for instance. Not uncommon.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
A lot of guys who played in the Euros didn't start in their team's opening matches, but cam on as subs late. Payet and Can for instance. Not uncommon.

Yeah, for sure. Ozil and Giroud, for example. Still, Arsenal's CBs are a dumpster fire. And why not start your one big money acquisition? Ugh.

HisRoyalFrankness

Chicago, IL
Yeah, for sure. Ozil and Giroud, for example. Still, Arsenal's CBs are a dumpster fire. And why not start your one big money acquisition? Ugh.

I understand Gunner fans frustrations though. Sagna started for France in the Euro final and he started for Man City on Saturday. Wenger knew with Mertesacker and Welbeck out he would be lacking depth at CB and Striker. Why would he give Giroud and Koscielny extra time off? Sanchez and Theo are not strikers. Trust me, I was glad he rested them as a Liverpool fan, I honestly felt bad for Holding and Chambers.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I understand Gunner fans frustrations though. Sagna started for France in the Euro final and he started for Man City on Saturday. Wenger knew with Mertesacker and Welbeck out he would be lacking depth at CB and Striker. Why would he give Giroud and Koscielny extra time off? Sanchez and Theo are not strikers. Trust me, I was glad he rested them as a Liverpool fan, I honestly felt bad for Holding and Chambers.

Holding gets a pass, because he's a kid and that was his first PL game (I think). He's the type of player a big club loan's out, so he can see regular playing time. Obviously, Arsenal can't do that right now. But once he's buried...

Chambers, OTOH, ...
Another overrated English player.

wettsten

Chicago

it's not technically extra time off. he always gives four weeks off to his players.

sanchez at the nine was a miserable failure.

i didn't get to watch the match but it sounds like the fullbacks were more of a liability than the center backs.

and everyone is baffled by coquelin playing the entire match.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
it's not technically extra time off. he always gives four weeks off to his players.

sanchez at the nine was a miserable failure.

i didn't get to watch the match but it sounds like the fullbacks were more of a liability than the center backs.

and everyone is baffled by coquelin playing the entire match.

Fullbacks? I think Bellerin's the best in the league and Monreal is top 10 easy.

wettsten

Chicago
Fullbacks? I think Bellerin's the best in the league and Monreal is top 10 easy.

agreed, but they didn't play that way against liverpool. everyone has bad games and they just seemed to both have it on the same day.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Wenger says he's ready to spend big. He needs to. IBIWISI.

Chelsea making big play for Napoli defender Koulibaly. Obviously, they need help back there.

It could be that Liverpool scores with relative ease on any team that doesn't park the bus.

I realize I'm a bit biased, but Mane is relentless (reminds me of Suarez, albeit not as good) Sturridge has one of the quickest shots in all of football. If healthy, he'll score. Origi really came on late last season before his ankle injury. Coutinho and Firmino and Wijnaldem are all capable in their own right. I'm not a Henderson fan, but Milner, Lallana and the new kid Grujic can all play and create for others. Clyne and Moreno can both be positives in attack. It's gonna be tough to keep Liverpool out of the net this season.

Unfortunately, until Karius, Matip and/or Sakho are healthy and/or on the squad, and a new LB is signed, LFC will leak goals at a stressful rate.

If you're a casual fan or just want to watch an entertaining match, tune into every LFC match this season. Doubt any of them are short of drama.

Wenger says he's ready to spend big. He needs to. IBIWISI.

Chelsea making big play for Napoli defender Koulibaly. Obviously, they need help back there.

Wenger wants to spend big, but what do the owners think? That's where the problem lies I'm guessing.

Chelsea do need a CB, but the rumor is 60 million euros. That is insane for a CB. I'll pass for that amount of money.

Bolasie is a good signing for Everton. An attacking front of Lukaku, Barkley, Deulefeu, and Bolasie will be fun to watch.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Wenger wants to spend big, but what do the owners think? That's where the problem lies I'm guessing.

Chelsea do need a CB, but the rumor is 60 million euros. That is insane for a CB. I'll pass for that amount of money.

Bolasie is a good signing for Everton. An attacking front of Lukaku, Barkley, Deulefeu, and Bolasie will be fun to watch.

Kroenke, Arsenal FC's majority owner, is a multi-billionaire. The minority owner, a Rooskie, has a net worth of ~$20B. Wenger has been reticent to spend, the owners, not so much.

Chelsea's owner, Abramovich, is another multi-billionaire. He has no problem spending prodigious sums for players his football manager wants.

Agreed, Bolasie is a very good signing. But will the Toffees hold on to Lukaku?

This weekend's Premier League schedule (all times Central):

Friday
2:00 PM, USA: Manchester United vs. Southampton

Saturday
6:30 AM, NBCSN: Stoke City vs. Manchester City
9:00 AM, NBCSN: Burnley vs. Liverpool
9:00 AM, CNBC: Watford vs. Chelsea
11:30 AM, CNBC: Leicester vs. Arsenal

Sunday
7:30 AM, NBCSN: Sunderland vs. Middlesborough
10:00 AM, CNBC: West Ham vs. Bournemouth

wettsten

Chicago

chelsea need a CB, arsenal need a CB, manchester city need a CB. and the selling clubs all know it.

mustafi signing for arsenal could be tomorrow. turns out they were waiting to see how severe an injury was.

Kroenke, Arsenal FC's majority owner, is a multi-billionaire. The minority owner, a Rooskie, has a net worth of ~$20B. Wenger has been reticent to spend, the owners, not so much.

Chelsea's owner, Abramovich, is another multi-billionaire. He has no problem spending prodigious sums for players his football manager wants.

Agreed, Bolasie is a very good signing. But will the Toffees hold on to Lukaku?

Kroenke just screwed over St. Louis for a money grab. Just because he has the money doesn't mean he wants to spend it. IMO it looks like Kroenke just views Arsenal as an investment. Not saying he doesn't want to win trophies, but I don't think it's his top priority. And I think Wenger is the perfect manager for Kroenke, because he doesn't demand big transfers like Mourinho or Pep would.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Wow - Zlatan's really struggling to adapt to the English game.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Looks like Benteke to Palace, finally. Their fans are Glad All Over. On a more serious note, what an atmosphere they have at Selhurst Park!

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Leicester hard done by the ref. Two penalties that should have been called. The one in the first half may have been questionable, but the one late in the 2nd was a no-doubter.

Chelsea lucked out today as well, as Costa should have been sent of with his 2nd yellow for the blatant dive that the ref acknowledged.

Leicester hard done by the ref. Two penalties that should have been called. The one in the first half may have been questionable, but the one late in the 2nd was a no-doubter.

Chelsea lucked out today as well, as Costa should have been sent of with his 2nd yellow for the blatant dive that the ref acknowledged.

But the ref also missed a handball against Watford inside the box so I think it evens out.

Looks like Lukaku is staying at Everton and Mahrez is staying at Leicester. They will both be dark horses for top 4.

Really happy to see Brad Guzan back in the Premier League. He deserves it after having to suffer on one of the worst teams ever last season. And he made some great saves today to get the 3 points.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Really happy to see Brad Guzan back in the Premier League. He deserves it after having to suffer on one of the worst teams ever last season. And he made some great saves today to get the 3 points.

Yes. Guzan was very good today. Looks like he's found a very good landing spot.

Classic Liverpool. Laying an egg against an inferior opponent. Though I believe this was there premier league home opener after being called up from championship. Tough atmosphere.

Can't score against the parked bus. Really need to shore up that back line and get Karius healthy or we're looking at another 8th place finish. (if we're lucky)

Man U is gonna be tough to beat. Sheesh.

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
Classic Liverpool. Laying an egg against an inferior opponent. Though I believe this was there premier league home opener after being called up from championship. Tough atmosphere.

Can't score against the parked bus. Really need to shore up that back line and get Karius healthy or we're looking at another 8th place finish. (if we're lucky)

Man U is gonna be tough to beat. Sheesh.

Deja vu all over again. That first goal was very disappointing and the energy seemed a long way from week one. Here's hoping Jurgen has an answer, or two.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
:D

14102398_1104122389624655_707745211211354106_n.jpg

wettsten

Chicago
50m pounds for mustafi now?

i think i'm ready for a new manager next year.