FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,626      
Ncaa left the decisions up to the institutions. Bridges cleared by MSU compliance.

Kind of reminds me of the old Andy Griffith show...sherriff of Mayberrry....they had a character named Otis..the town drunk....they left it up to Otis to turn himself in and lock himself up when he got drunk...would also let himself out when he had sobered up.....sha..sham ......see you next Friday night Otis...lol

#1,627      
Shaka appeared to be the only coach to sit his player that was alleged for taking $

#1,628      
I think the NCAA is right to leave it to the schools for now - it’s not in their best interest to suspend guys based on reporting from a journalist, they need to have their own investigation (ha ha, I know).

One other thought on the topic, I really don’t understand the joy on this board for potential Izzo implications. If MSU’s last 20 years gets tarnished, where does that leave the BIG? I feel like Izzo is done relatively soon anyway, I would prefer that our conference’s flagship hoops program of the last two decades stay respected.

Kansas, on the other hand...

#1,629      
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

UN-FRICKIN-BELIEVABLE!

I'd love to know who actually is making these decisions at the NCAA. That was the fastest 'no problem' judgment I think I've ever heard of. They must be in a total panic about tournament ratings if the big programs lose their stars. Or maybe the big guns at CBS have told them how to handle this. Whatever the case, seems really capricious. The idea that the school can self-report this after an internal investigation seems equally ludicrous.

Anyone follow infractions well enough to know if this is normal? I thought at a minimum players would have to miss several games for impermissible benefits.

Mixing Ayton's situation and Bridges' situation is foolish. Bridges' involves his mom and $400 or so, while Ayton's situation involves $100k.

Also, they've had zero time to investigate these allegations". It's not like they have the wire tapped recordings. They have a media outlet's article claiming these things took place. Plus the article says Miller discussed a $100K offer to Ayton. It doesn't say the offer was made nor that it was subsequently accepted, although you could logically infer that both those things took place since he went to Arizona. Still, you want him suspended on a news story and then an inference on top of that?

#1,630      
That is a fool’s bet. The FBIM has the goods (i.e. the tapes). They aren’t going to sit around waiting for the NCAA, who has no dog in the NCAA hunt.

If they decide to drop the hammer, the NCAA is immaterial.

The FBI can't suspend schools or players, so the NCAA isn't exactly immaterial.

#1,631      

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
I've heard the 'blue bloods' don't need to cheat; their programs sell themselves... I wonder if we're going to find out what exactly has kept some programs at the top for so long. Maybe change the term to 'green blood'. Makes you wonder if there have been other programs trying to get in on the action, but the blue bloods have it monopolized. That would be funny - trying to cheat but can't break into the game.

Just thinking out loud. I suppose it's possible there are highly successful teams that haven't had to play the game, but it's difficult for me to seriously believe that.

#1,632      
I think the NCAA is right to leave it to the schools for now - it’s not in their best interest to suspend guys based on reporting from a journalist, they need to have their own investigation (ha ha, I know).

One other thought on the topic, I really don’t understand the joy on this board for potential Izzo implications. If MSU’s last 20 years gets tarnished, where does that leave the BIG? I feel like Izzo is done relatively soon anyway, I would prefer that our conference’s flagship hoops program of the last two decades stay respected.

Eff Izzo and M$U. B1G reputation means nothing. They are the enemy. Rant over.

#1,634      

Deleted member 19448

D
Eff Izzo and M$U. B1G reputation means nothing. They are the enemy. Rant over.

What he said!! Izzo is a sanctimonious jag and probably always has been. Great coach yes but a jag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,637      
The more I think about this, the stranger it becomes. How in the hell do they make a decision on this so quickly? How can you do any kind of investigation? There's so much more to this than is typical of a player's circumstances. It just reeks to me of gloves off treatment made by one of the power brokers in the network or NCAA.

The way they're trying to sweep this under the rug reminds me of the curlers furiously sweeping in the Olympics.

For what it's worth an attorney engaged by Arizona says they've been investigating this for months. Which doesn't mean they came to the right conclusion, or that money didn't change hands, but it looks like he didn't just get cleared without some due diligence.

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/967890201329786881

Last edited:
#1,638      

It is in NCAA best interest to do so right now.....MONEY COW getting ready to start, don't stir that pot, wait about say....1 month or so, then see the steam start to build from the NCAA. All bout the $$$ right now, not a business my !!!, C'mon Man!:chief:

#1,640      

Deleted member 19448

D
So how far back do we have to go to the last “legit” champ? The 90’s? 80’. Maybe Maryland in 2002.

#1,641      

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
So how far back do we have to go to the last “legit” champ? The 90’s? 80’. Maybe Maryland in 2002.

th

#1,642      

Deleted member 3875

D
Will be clapping vigorously when Izzo hits the road.

#1,644      

There's been a lot written about how UCLA cheated during the 60s to get the best players, so you'd need to go back further than that.

I've never believed the best programs sell themselves, at least the way some posters have posited. Yes, all things equal, history matters. But the money is really big in men's bball and football, and that's become the currency of recruiting. Pun intended. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely other factors, and I don't mean to say every top recruit gets something under the table. But I do think it's far, far more common than the NCAA would have you believe.

#1,645      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
There's been a lot written about how UCLA cheated during the 60s to get the best players, so you'd need to go back further than that.

I've never believed the best programs sell themselves, at least the way some posters have posited. Yes, all things equal, history matters. But the money is really big in men's bball and football, and that's become the currency of recruiting. Pun intended. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely other factors, and I don't mean to say every top recruit gets something under the table. But I do think it's far, far more common than the NCAA would have you believe.
Sam Gilbert. The most famous "bag man" of all time.

#1,646      
When some players give way more value to the school than the school is able to give back to the player, the system opens itself up for corruption. It's a black market that works like every other black market in the world. Just because there's a rule passed that says you can't give value for something you want, doesn't mean that people won't pay under the table to get what they want.

#1,649      

jmilt7

Waukegan
I've had had thoughts of what I will do when I retire from the Air Force (still about 10 years away) and, I'm not kidding, trying to find a way into the NCAA and revamping the compliance department as well as rewriting the bi-laws to give authority to regulate schools is something I'd love to do.

Commendable and hopefully it works out for you but if you do get there, you should probably learn how to spell by-laws :)

Status
Not open for further replies.