Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UofI08

Chicago
We will win (just kidding, but it’s a fun little slogan, isn’t it?)

Seriously Lovie has the best job in sports. He’s being paid like a top level-figurehead coach, while leading a dumpster fire of a program, somehow making it progressively worse. He will now have even less control moving forward as his success is now going to be completely tied to coordinator hires that will have complete control on their respective sides of the ball, and we’re paying him 5 mil a year.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
We will win (just kidding, but it’s a fun little slogan, isn’t it?)

Seriously Lovie has the best job in sports. He’s being paid like a top level-figurehead coach, while leading a dumpster fire of a program, somehow making it progressively worse. He will now have even less control moving forward as his success is now going to be completely tied to coordinator hires that will have complete control on their respective sides of the ball, and we’re paying him 5 mil a year.

He took over a dumpster fire of a program, and we won two more games than last year.
How is he "making it progressively worse"?

I mean, I'm not overwhelmed by the progress either, but gmab.

He took over a dumpster fire of a program, and we won two more games than last year.

The progress so far has been underwhelming and we will have to improve further to even match the pre-lovie "dumpster fire" years. I still can't fault Whitman for giving Lovie another year though and I'm holding out hope that we can find a defensive Rod Smith.

UofI08

Chicago

Look at more than just win-loss. We scheduled 2 gimmes and played Rutgers when they were far and away the worst P5 team. We gave up 63 points 3 times in conference. We were completely uncompetitive in 6 games. There are more than 100 teams with better defenses than us, and probably more than 80 teams better than us overall. If that’s a good year 3, there’s nothing I can say to you to change your mind.
Keep in mind next year we’re basically treating Lovie like we did Zook for his last 2 years. Give him 2 coordinators to control the offense and defense, and let Lovie just kind of be the “face of the program.” The difference is Lovie never had the success, nor the recruiting abilities and results, that Zook had. And we’re also paying him 5 mil per season, a top half of the conference salary. Add all that into your equation and see how much “progress” we’re actually making.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I suspect the DC hire will be a Lovie guy. I only hope we don't plan on waiting until the end of the NFL season. We need to be at max effort on the recruiting trail right stinking now.

Some posters are throwing names of position coaches that played in the NFL. I think we are going with a proven DC. Someone mentioned Everitt Withers, I like that choice. Former DC of Louisville, Minny, UNC. Had head coaching experience. Also has recruited in Texas. Pay him $600-700k and we are in business. Possibly Phair, but my concern is repeating the past.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
Look at more than just win-loss. We scheduled 2 gimmes and played Rutgers when they were far and away the worst P5 team. We gave up 63 points 3 times in conference. We were completely uncompetitive in 6 games. There are more than 100 teams with better defenses than us, and probably more than 80 teams better than us overall. If that’s a good year 3, there’s nothing I can say to you to change your mind.
Keep in mind next year we’re basically treating Lovie like we did Zook for his last 2 years. Give him 2 coordinators to control the offense and defense, and let Lovie just kind of be the “face of the program.” The difference is Lovie never had the success, nor the recruiting abilities and results, that Zook had. And we’re also paying him 5 mil per season, a top half of the conference salary. Add all that into your equation and see how much “progress” we’re actually making.

This is why if Lovie's serious about the long-term, he should get a guy who knows his defensive scheme. A coach should be able to implement his identity on the side of the football where he has expertise. Look at Saban and Meyer. Saban's teams have always been known for their hard-nosed defenses while Meyer's teams usually have great offenses. A major reason why the Big 12 is full of high-scoring slugfests is that the league is filled with offensive masterminds who can run their systems at will, and as of now they are fortunate that nobody has really found a defensive coach to implement an effective system against Big 12 offenses. I am concerned with Illinois because I'm seeing similarities with Charlie Strong's tenure at Texas. Texas's defense were always terrible under supposed defensive genius in Strong, but their offense got better once they got Babers-protege Sterling Gilbert in Strong's final season. We all know how that turned out. Rod Smith may help produce a good offense here, but like it did with Zook in his final two seasons, Lovie needs to be more than a figurehead if has any chance of staying here beyond next season.

We won 4, clearly that is a sign of progress. But the defense was like 20 points shy of giving up the most points in B10 history. Baby steps when we need leaps.

GO ILLINI!

I'm not a fan of constantly changing the coaching staff, losing recruits and wasting $12M. That being said, I think next year will be more of the same for Illini football. I hope I'm wrong.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I have no inside info, but it sure seems like Jon Hoke's gonna be the DC and everybody knows it.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
With a good offensive coordinator, we made big strides in the offense. I know we had a few bad showings where we couldn’t score, but more sure handed receivers and a QB who can throw, and it’s a different story. The point is, a good DC might be able to make the same significant change, and that could win us those next two games to go bowling.

I felt disappointment with Lovie, but I am not throwing in the towel. Even if we only win five, but are actually competitive in every game, I will feel much better about where we are headed. And even if Lovie decides to hang it up shortly after that, it’s much easier to sell a program that is trending up to a perspective coach.

I have no inside info, but it sure seems like Jon Hoke's gonna be the DC and everybody knows it.

A quick google search shows a lot of college experience.

Do we know of any big time player(s) he was the lead recruiter for in his college time?

We keep robbing the Tampa Bay Bucs tree for coaches, they are the grown up version of the Illini program. I live down here near Tampa and they can't run their staff off quick enough. Not to mention, the Bucs D is hardly anything to get excited about. Hoke was a short time DC at UF and a year at SC, but much of his time is in the pros. At SC they went 3-9 and lost to The Citadel in his 1 year as co DC. This smells terrible and looks like a guy that will come in and run Lovie's system and not challenge what the head coach wants. I would rather have a 1st year DC looking for his first gig that is currently a position coach for a "winning" NCAA program and knows how to WIN and knows how to recruit. If Hoke is true, it sounds like a broken record.

Deleted member 569417

D
Lovie didn't inherit a program, he inherited a full blown five alarm out of control forest fire being fed with gasoline and whipped with 50 mph winds.
He inherited a defense featuring 7 seniors and 2 juniors that in 2015 had allowed 23.3 points per game, 23rd in the nation.

He took that experienced and above average defense and allowed 31.9 points per game, dropping to 94th in the nation in 2016.

The only one feeding it gas is the current incompetent head coach

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Fedora out at UNC.

Let's start making some predictions!

Brohm stays at Purdue
Snyder stays at K-State
Helton doesn't get fired at USC

Seth Littrell to Texas Tech
Neal Brown to Louisville
Scott Satterfield to UNC

Might be a really small carousel.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Lovie seems determined to make his defensive system work or go down with the ship.

Fedora out at UNC.

Brohm stays at Purdue
Snyder stays at K-State

Neal Brown to Louisville
Scott Satterfield to UNC

This would shock me as I live out here. Fan attendance plummetted this year and even early in the year half of the stadium left at halftime. Missing a bowl for the first time in a while plus fans wanting him to step away I think will lead to it.

Not sure Texas Tech firing Kingsbury was a good move. Petrino doesn't have much left in the tank and has a bunch of baggage. Fedora a coin flip, but UNC can attract a better coach.

At least Hoke would bring some actual experience as a DC. Nickerson had none.

Fedora out at UNC.

Brohm stays at Purdue
Snyder stays at K-State

Neal Brown to Louisville
Scott Satterfield to UNC

I think Helton is gone. He needed to win the Notre Dame game

I think Helton is gone. He needed to win the Notre Dame game

Honestly, I think like a lot of formerly iconic programs, USC is doing everything they can to undo their legacy. I think it's hilarious that programs think they can just hire a coach and find instant success.

Maybe Lovie's program isn't where we want it to be, but I think the carousel is getting laughable and coaches getting canned because they couldn't beat a powerhouse is just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.