Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,552      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
it makes one think................is there anyone on the Pats or Rams staff that could be our new DC and thus the reason it hasn't been announced ? anyone that is either in the twilight of their career or is real young that a move to college to be a DC is a step up ?

with this announcement of Hudson, the new DC would have to be on board with that

#1,553      

Deleted member 746094

D
well said
lots of those guys toiled for years making chicken scratch. when the ship comes in , you owe it to your family to hop on before it sails without you

but Lovie should be able to attract someone better - both at the DC spot and for the other two openings. I expect something by next week Friday or sooner

The bolded is exactly the way most of these young coaches think and approach the business. I have several former coaches and two very close friends that coach D1. Some of them have went from making $110K to $300K and back to $110K in a five year window. For Thad it was a no brainer even if UofI would have matched Temple’s offer.

There is no arguing that if Lovie wins less than 5 games next year this staff is out the door. Thad got a promotion, more money and at least 3 years of job security.

#1,554      
it makes one think................is there anyone on the Pats or Rams staff that could be our new DC and thus the reason it hasn't been announced ? anyone that is either in the twilight of their career or is real young that a move to college to be a DC is a step up ?

with this announcement of Hudson, the new DC would have to be on board with that
Highly highly doubtful. As for people thinking the new “DC” has to be on board with the hires....Lovie has full control of the defense.

Last edited:
#1,555      

the national

the Front Range
He should time it for the publicity of a Super Bowl Sunday announcement. Geez, unless his candidates are coaching in the game, there is no good reason for taking this long. USC hired an OC and then his replacement within a week.

I don’t understand this. As long as we get him hired in time for recruiting, I’d rather him find the right guy. Speed in this area only makes the fans feel better, but getting someone that fits is more important.

#1,556      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Highly highly doubtful
yea, agree now that I looked at the bio's of every defensive staff guy on both teams. No one jumps out as even remotely a possible match.

The delay in naming the DC is certainly becoming more puzzling after the news of Hudson came out

#1,557      
yea, agree now that I looked at the bio's of every defensive staff guy on both teams. No one jumps out as even remotely a possible match.

The delay in naming the DC is certainly becoming more puzzling after the news of Hudson came out
No info but I expect Gil Byrd to receive the DC title.

#1,558      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
The bolded is exactly the way most of these young coaches think and approach the business. I have several former coaches and two very close friends that coach D1. Some of them have went from making $110K to $300K and back to $110K in a five year window. For Thad it was a no brainer even if UofI would have matched Temple’s offer.

There is no arguing that if Lovie wins less than 5 games next year this staff is out the door. Thad got a promotion, more money and at least 3 years of job security.

I think the great majority of posters (and Illinois fans) are not upset about Thad moving on. All of us would pick up and move for a massive (MASSIVE) raise and promotion, especially early in our careers. He made the right move.

#1,559      

FT35

Naperville

It means that the DC is probably already on the staff. I would guess it's Byrd (in name only) with Miles as the LB coach.

Really disappointing if that's how it shakes out. If it's not the most inexperienced Defensive staff in the FBS then it would have to be close.

I can't think of anything positive to say about Miles Smith as an LB coach. We really needed a dynamite recruiter with significant college coaching experience and Miles really gives us nothing.

I'm not entirely sure what Byrd does. His "coaching" was suspect at best last year and his "recruiting" is non-existent.

#1,560      
It means that the DC is probably already on the staff. I would guess it's Byrd (in name only) with Miles as the LB coach.

Really disappointing if that's how it shakes out. If it's not the most inexperienced Defensive staff in the FBS then it would have to be close.

I can't think of anything positive to say about Miles Smith as an LB coach. We really needed a dynamite recruiter with significant college coaching experience and Miles really gives us nothing.

I'm not entirely sure what Byrd does. His "coaching" was suspect at best last year and his "recruiting" is non-existent.
Just a hunch here....but I expect to see Lovie spending a lot of time with the LBs if Miles is the LB coach. As for Gil he’s a pretty cool dude and can coach some ball too.

#1,561      
Either they completely screwed this up and couldn't find anyone to take the job, or this was the plan all along and I don't know which is worse.
The former makes you think the job came with so many stipulations attached to it that no coach worth a damn was willing to uproot his life, even if it came with a raise, both in money and in title.
The latter is just mind boggling. The first question is why wait this long to announce if this was the plan? The second is what exactly did Byrd show (either in coaching or recruiting) to justify this step up other than a willingness to just shut up and do what Lovie says? What did Smith show, other than his last name, to make his promotion permanent? How is this any better than what we crucified Cubit for?

#1,562      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Just a hunch here....but I expect to see Lovie spending a lot of time with the LBs if Miles is the LB coach. As for Gil he’s a pretty cool dude and can coach some ball too.

Or Illinois could hire someone with experience coaching LBs so Lovie doesn't have to spend inordinate amounts of time being the HC, de facto DC, and de facto LBs coach.

#1,563      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Or Illinois could hire someone with experience coaching LBs so Lovie doesn't have to spend inordinate amounts of time being the HC, de facto DC, and de facto LBs coach.

Correct. Just because he's the best guy for ANY of those three does not mean he's the best guy for ALL of those three.

#1,564      
Don’t disagree but most of the time the DC also coaches a position group as well whether it’s parrt of his title or not.

#1,565      
Lol. Good thing that extension gave Lovie so much stability that he was able to replace his DC and DB coach with 2 guys with a combined 2 years of experience as a CB coach at a mid major. What a joke.
So you don’t want a guy who reeled in a lot of talent for USC and has great recruiting ties in FL?

#1,566      

Based on what I’ve heard, this is what will eventually happen. Which, is really disappointing considering the money we have to spend on assistants. I think ultimately it will just confirm that Lovie is unwilling to relinquish any “creative control” on defense and thus couldn’t lure an experienced DC that would have made an impact both in on the field results and recruiting.

#1,567      
Hearing that Tate is saying on SMSL that Miles Smith has been promoted to full time assistant. Can anyone confirm?

Would the university have anything in place against nepotism like that? I would think Whitman wouldn't be on board with this decision because of how bad it will look, especially as he puts his neck out on the Lovie hire with the extension.

#1,568      

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA
Lol. Good thing that extension gave Lovie so much stability that he was able to replace his DC and DB coach with 2 guys with a combined 2 years of experience as a CB coach at a mid major. What a joke.

Or you can stop jumping to conclusions, wait till it's official.....as of right now Hudson is the only confirmed hire.

By all means I understand the outrage, its just ridiculous to jump to such conclusion based on rumor.

#1,569      
Would the university have anything in place against nepotism like that? I would think Whitman wouldn't be on board with this decision because of how bad it will look, especially as he puts his neck out on the Lovie hire with the extension.

I should have looked at the university's nepotism policy first before asking. Pretty quick to find it, and it would seem that, on paper, the university would not be in favor of such an action by Lovie. It could be understood with the situation last season and needing to fill a position quickly, but not this time around.

http://cam.illinois.edu/policies/hr-28/

#1,570      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
nepotism is alive and well at just about every college in the land , and in just about every sport. it goes with the territory, especially in our state

#1,571      

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA
Administrative Assistant. By rule, he did as much actual recruiting as the equipment manager.

It’s fine to take a chance on this guy if your other D hire is a high quality DC, not when it’s your under qualified son. It does sound like he must have good Florida connections, but it’s a different animal trying to pull those connections across the country when you’re not a blue blood.

Uhhhh: "He was an important cog in USC’s recruiting machine both identifying talent and dealing with prospects on campus. Hudson helped recruit Leonard Williams, Leon McQuay, Lamont Simmons and Quinton Powell to USC"

from his FAU bio - https://fausports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=457&path=football

#1,572      
#1,574      
Lol it’s only facts. Administrative assistants can uncover and do the background recruiting but to say he had a big responsibility for USC pulling in blue chippers is ridiculous.

I’m actually not against his hire on its own. He’s a good replacement for Abraham with more potential. It’s more on the whole where I have a problem. If they hired him and a proven DC, I’d be happy and impressed. Instead they decided to use the 2 open defensive assistants on this guy and Miles, which means no experienced DC, barely any actual coaching experience, and Byrd becoming “DC.”

I have a hard time believing people woulda been totally on board with this after the season ended.

#1,575      

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA
Lol it’s only facts. Administrative assistants can uncover and do the background recruiting but to say he had a big responsibility for USC pulling in blue chippers is ridiculous.

I’m actually not against his hire on its own. He’s a good replacement for Abraham with more potential. It’s more on the whole where I have a problem. If they hired him and a proven DC, I’d be happy and impressed. Instead they decided to use the 2 open defensive assistants on this guy and Miles, which means no experienced DC, barely any actual coaching experience, and Byrd becoming “DC.”

I have a hard time believing people woulda been totally on board with this after the season ended.

Can you show me where Miles has been hired....it is not official and is merely speculation and rumor primarily on this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.