Game Thread: Illinois at Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
That defense is pathetic. Identify zone or man, drop them deep, throw under coverage, repeat. Run when you want. Pass when you want. It's like a scrimmage where their offense gets the chance to practice and improve. Our players look a mix of disinterested, tired or lost. Jayzuz. And with that our offense doesn't matter. They can hold in the red zone half the time and beat us by 30 points. I guess we just go thru the motions for the rest of the season. Can we get a list of all the players that left our program to go elsewhere in the last 18 months?

Whitman better force Lovie’s hand on firing Nickerson and finding a good DB coach as well. I know people have said that this is Lovie’s D, but it was Zook’s D in 2008 and 2009 and Guenther forced his hand with getting a new OC and DC. This is embarrassing to watch.

Why just Nickerson?

Go for the whole thing.

BTW, contracts need to include performance too, in addition to severance.

Maybe we could convince some high school defensive players to forgo their senior year and help out our current defensive array.

I'm so sick of not looking like a football team. When we do things well, it's because an individual player is living up to his ability level during that specific play, but during the course of the game ... we look lost. It's one thing to be like the 2006 Illini and go 2-10 but fight EVERY single week. This is literally embarrassing, and I am so, so, so sick of not being able to be proud of my favorite sports team like so many other fans across the country get to be. We're not scrappy, we're not tough, we're not good. We don't even look like we have any pride. :(

Obviously, next week I will show up in the pregame thread with some misguided optimism, because I HAVE to keep believing it can't stay this bad forever (it seriously defies logic on so many depressing levels) ... but this is our first performance where there aren't any excuses to make, even among us homers. Depressing.

Why not just bring 6 on every third down? No pressure with 4, no defending with the back 7. I sadly have given up on this game, and I am starting to think the Lovie experiment is not going to work. Just gotta hope recruits don’t bail.

I'll give those who say we need another Lovie recruiting class before judging the team. Tear down and build up and all that. But we need a much better defense than this.

Nice return! Now we only need about 30 yards before we get to see a field goal attempt!

Are we ever going to blitz or try to pressure the QB?

We did to start the game, then they switched out of it to try to mitigate the big plays. The result = that last monotonous Maryland drive where aggressive playcalling would have helped. I don't like the switch out of the blitzes.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
That's not targeting, though I wouldn't exactly weep to see Tre Watson thrown out of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.