Illini Basketball 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am shocked those guys couldn't answer that. I figured Mark Smith would know.

If you saw him play, you know the name. He was one of the biggest names in college bball his soph and jr year. But that was over 15 years ago. Not something a 20 year old is going to know.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
All this ambiitious scoring on top of a school record loss of 87% of our scoring from last year. 87% let that sink in.:)

We scored 2508 pts last year. Leron+Finke+Kipper+Tejon+Jordan=746 pts. That would mean we're returning 29% of our total scoring. :confused:

Where did you get that number TC? While we lost a lot, my math (which is usually suspect) tells me that Finke, Black, Lucas, Nichols and Jordan accounted for nearly 30% of our scoring last year. (746 points out of a team total 2508).

foby

Bonnaroo Land
All this ambiitious scoring on top of a school record loss of 87% of our scoring from last year. 87% let that sink in.:)

We also lost 87% of last year's coaching philosophy.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Actually had some time to listen to the BU press conference from media day. I can listen to him talk about ball all day. Really looking forward to see what this squad can do under him.

Where did you get that number TC? While we lost a lot, my math (which is usually suspect) tells me that Finke, Black, Lucas, Nichols and Jordan accounted for nearly 30% of our scoring last year. (746 points out of a team total 2508).

My bad, Tevo correct.

Well we kept one assistant and the s&c coach.

Despite the retentions the philosphy is still 100% different. Fletch said as much for conditioning requirements and Walker has to teach new offensive, defensive, and situational principals.

Hype fact i don't think i have seen mentioned yet. Not only did Underwood coach the most efficient offense in the country last year per KenPom (a fact we probably have heard a time or two), OK St. did it against the #1 Strength of Schedule in the country. And further, when that SOS is broken down into offensive and defensive components, OK St. faced the toughest slate of defensive opponents in the country. Underwood had the best offense, even though he faced the toughest average defense.

I'm with Monte. I think we score a lot of points.

Dan

Admin
Greetings from Champaign. Here for Illinois practice. Year One of the Brad Underwood era.

Illinois has a chance to be a unique offensive team. Could play a lot of "5-out" with Leron Black and Michael Finke. Very skilled team.

Mark Smith as any physically ready to play college basketball as any freshmen I've seen this preseason. All of 225 pounds. Can play 3 spots

Early prediction on Illinois' starting five: Te'Jon Lucas, Mark Smith, Mark Alstork, Leron Black, Michael Finke.

Two constant themes stressed by Brad Underwood in practice: 1. Deny passing lanes on defense 2. Attack on offense

Kipper Nichols could be the wildcard for Illinois. Would be ideal small ball PF if he can rebound. Front court depth a major concern.

Two Big Ten themes to monitor in 17-18: 1. How teams wear down with the condensed schedule 2. How teams perform in NCAAT with massive layoff

Palpable Buzz at Illinois regarding Da'Monte Williams' IQ. Son of former Illini PG Frank Williams. Has a chance to have a special career.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein

Last edited:

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Hype fact i don't think i have seen mentioned yet. Not only did Underwood coach the most efficient offense in the country last year per KenPom (a fact we probably have heard a time or two), OK St. did it against the #1 Strength of Schedule in the country. And further, when that SOS is broken down into offensive and defensive components, OK St. faced the toughest slate of defensive opponents in the country. Underwood had the best offense, even though he faced the toughest average defense.

I'm with Monte. I think we score a lot of points.

Great post. Would love to see them hit 90 avg. First 6 games have a chance to go over 100 in all, so will be a fun season.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Exactly my point! Do i think we will score 90 a game in the conference season? No, i never said that. I think 75-80 is realistic though.

Breaking down OK. St. non-conference last season:
Vs. Pitt. State 117 points
Vs. Campbell 102 points
Vs. Central Arkansas 102 points
Vs. UCONN 98 points
Vs New Orleans 117 points
Vs. North Carolina 75 points
Vs. Georgetown 97 points
Vs. Rogers St 101 points
Vs. Maryland 70 points
Vs. Tulsa 71 points
Vs. Arkansas Pine-Bluff 102 points
Vs. Wichita St 76 points
Vs. Texas AM-CC 92 points

This team averaged 93.8 PPG while playing one of the toughest non-con schedules in the nation, with a team that I think has similiar talent to our team this season.

In the conference they scored over 80 points 14 times. Averaging 80.85 ppg.

These are both really impressive numbers against stiff competition. So please, can someone tell me why we won't be able to average 90 a game while having teams like Southern, Tennessee-Martin,Depaul, Marshall,Augustana (IL),North Carolina Central,Austin Peay,Longwood and New Mexico State on our schedule?

Not sure if you are implying 90 for the whole season or just non-conference. I could see 90 points per game against those teams you cited and if you mean just the non-conference part of our schedule then sure 90 sounds good and doable. But over the whole season, then probably not. More along the line of 80 as already mentioned. Notice that when they played NC, MD, Tulsa and Wichita State the numbers came down into the 70s. Same will happen when we play MSU, WI, and some of the others. So, an average of around 80 seems doable.

Last edited:

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Jon Rothstein on Twitter: "Early prediction on Illinois' starting five: Te'Jon Lucas, Mark Smith, Mark Alstork, Leron Black, Michael Finke."

Thoughts? Everyone agree? Who is most likely to not be starting of those 5 and who replaces that person?

Jon Rothstein on Twitter: "Early prediction on Illinois' starting five: Te'Jon Lucas, Mark Smith, Mark Alstork, Leron Black, Michael Finke."

Thoughts? Everyone agree? Who is most likely to not be starting of those 5 and who replaces that person?
At this point I think it's fairly obvious that will be the starting 5. Unless something unforeseen happens from now until the first game.

90 for the season. 97-98 for nonconference (there should be multiple games we score 100+ to make the average higher than it really should be), and around 80-83 in conference)

Because UCLA led the country in scoring at 91 PPG. And they played in the trashy PAC-12, a conference that plays wide open and isn't good. The B1G is tougher than the Big 12 and plays at a slower pace. And the stats back that up.

In the last 10 years, the highest scoring team each season in the B1G ranges from 72-82 PPG. And a few of those years are under 75 PPG.

We won't be even close to 90 PPG.

Last edited:

ttelbonk

Champaign

I would agree. I believe Trent and Kipper
will be the first off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.