Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Hi everyone, I recently made a film room style blog focusing on Chris Beard and his Texas Tech motion offense. I am going to make my next project about BU and his Spread Offense but would love some feedback first to know what you all would want to see. Thank you in advance! https://t.co/RocYzGcN7S
Looks nice. Some good work there. Unfortunately, I know squat about spread offense and/or what I would like to see. There are many, many, many on this board much more knowledgeable than I. I suppose just something along the lines of what you did for Texas Tech.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Feliz belongs on this board if he excels at attacking the hope.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 29907

D
R
Feliz drew 11 fouls in the scrimmage. Nice little stat!
Rewatched the Illinois / MSU home game from last year - TF drew at least two offensive fouls on TumTum just via his D - so it should be fun to watch these two and Ayo and DMW this year.

98th is way underrating us. These preseason ranking always put way too much stock into past season performance and not enough in what is returning and newcomers. Obviously it would take a ton of research to do that for 300+ teams so they probably spend time on maybe the top 50 or so then the rest they just WAG or throw darts at a dartboard. At the very least all these poor preseason prognostications should be good bulletin board materials for our guys. Expect them to play with a chip on their shoulder and prove most everybody wrong.

Certainly I hope you were right, but last years predictions other than on this board were pretty much spot on. Returning is Trent, Kipper, AJ, and Damonte. Clearly our backcourt seems much improved, but our frontcourt.....

We can be much improved if the guards can carry us. We are all hoping for improvement, let's see what happens in Hawaii.

GO ILLINI!

My guess is that we'll be pressing a lot, but yeah... it'll be interesting to see how BU approaches it when a team can handle the press. I could also see opposing teams having to play a lot of zone as well when we go small - mainly because there will be times when the opposing center won't have anyone they can guard on the perimeter. So I see major mismatches on both ends and a lot of scoring. I also see A LOT of adjustments for both teams over the course of a game. For example, when we go small, if we start trading 3 for 2 and our press is effective, the other team may have to go small too just so they can guard us on the perimeter. However, if our threes aren't falling and the other team can handle the press, then I could see BU going bigger for awhile until he gets another matchup he likes where he can go small again. Should be a very interesting season from a strategic standpoint with most games being a struggle of wills to make the other team have to adjust first.

When don't we?

People seem to be really high on Adonis. Purely based off of paper, I don't see a guy who can give us 20 mins a game. 3.6 fouls/game in the MAC and coming off a knee injury late seems like a bad combo for a team in desperate need of a defensive guy up front. Hope I'm wrong, but we've seen first hand how that kind of injury completely changes a player.
Part of the reason I think people are high on him is because you need to be in order to discuss a decent season. If Adonis is Mike Thorne 2.0, things like 10 wins start to look frighteningly likely.

Okay, I am, again, being optomistic about the upcoming season, and I do think we have a very good chance of exceeding expectations. However, if we labor through another gut-wrentching season ending with a losing record, it will be the darkest time in Illinois sports I can remember (in regards to the two main revenue sports).
I'm not sure how old you are, but in my lifetime as an Illini fan we're already there. Never in my 40 years have I seen a stretch as bad as this in BOTH sports. Keep hoping and praying it's got to someday turn and things get back to normal. Hope this basketball season is the start.

There's a nice albeit short you tube video on Kedric Prince's twitter page of Adonis teaching Samba post moves.

LOL, I'm going to have sooo many people giving me kudos on selection Sunday, or I'm going to be eating crow.

While we are certainly not expected to make the tournament, the measuring stick for this year (as every year) should be at making the tournament (at a minimum).

While we are certainly not expected to make the tournament, the measuring stick for this year (as every year) should be at making the tournament (at a minimum).
I remember when anything below a 5 seed was a disappointment. How I wish for those long forgotten days....

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Part of the reason I think people are high on him is because you need to be in order to discuss a decent season. If Adonis is Mike Thorne 2.0, things like 10 wins start to look frighteningly likely.
What Mike Thorne are we talking about here? Because MT his first year here looked to be in really good shape had a very good start to the season. Second season not so much

TMC999

Not Iowa
Once Adonis is back come December, Kipper plays the 4 and no where else, so we need 10 minutes at the 4 and those come from Trevian and Griff. Giorgi, Adonis and Kane divide the minutes at the 5. Play the ho hand.

Careful - this ain't Louisville...

What Mike Thorne are we talking about here? Because MT his first year here looked to be in really good shape had a very good start to the season. Second season not so much
I should have been more specific. I meant Mike Thorne as in getting reinjured and not being able to contribute after.

Status
Not open for further replies.