Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
It astonishing me what gets legs on this message board.

Or anywhere else online either.
I hope all of you have listened to Josh Whitman speak. I would walk through a wall for a leader like this. As would all those who donate to grants in aid.

As for Coach Smith, firing is not an answer, it's more like an excuse. You know what firing means? Starting all over again. It means all the assistants have to go. All the relationships with the surrounding states' high school coaches are torn asunder. That's where a program is built.
And everyone would clamor for the hottest name out there. An out of work head coach? A currently employed coach? A hot coordinator? Geez, I am tired of all that.

We should be all locked arm in arm for program continuity. A single sense of purpose. Pride in the university.

And my fear about Smith is that if he can't get the football program turned around, who in the hell will?

For better or for worse Lovie was an outside the box idea. There are always good coaches willing to take a Big Ten job, even a dumpster fire like ours.

We're nowhere near that point yet, and I don't think we ever will be, but if the Good Ship Lovie ends up sinking, there will be good reason to think more in terms of someone comfortable and connected within the college football world being hired on a much more normal time schedule, and with a brief to work with what he inherits to the extent possible.

*the words "Jeff Monken" whisper in through an opened window*

Or anywhere else online either.
I hope all of you have listened to Josh Whitman speak. I would walk through a wall for a leader like this. As would all those who donate to grants in aid.

As for Coach Smith, firing is not an answer, it's more like an excuse. You know what firing means? Starting all over again. It means all the assistants have to go. All the relationships with the surrounding states' high school coaches are torn asunder. That's where a program is built.
And everyone would clamor for the hottest name out there. An out of work head coach? A currently employed coach? A hot coordinator? Geez, I am tired of all that.

This. Look at our track record (Head Coach - number of years at Illinois):

Cubit - 1

Beckman - 3

Koenning - 1 game

Zook - 7

Turner - 8

Tepper - 6

Mackovic - 4

White - 8

Moeller - 3

Blackman - 6

Valek - 4

Elliot - 7

If you are a high school junior or parent of a junior or coach of a junior being recruited by Illinois you certainly have to question if the head coach is going to be there for that student's tenure.

I've seen these 'hot seat' opinions also.... I even got into a back-and-forth with one of the writers via email. They're basically basing it on supposed 'irate illini fans' ... I asked how many, and of course they won't reveal sources. So my guess is that there are some loud and outspoken 'fans' who are incensed at the fact that we aren't winning, winning, winning, and doing it RIGHT NOW, RIGHT NOW, RIGHT NOW !....
If this is the 'true' attitude' of the majority of Illini fans, then I think we're in trouble.... They won't be happy until we start firing coaches if they lose a single game.... :tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

I'm getting too old for this.... :eek:

I don’t even know where these ‘irate Illini fans’ are. The fan base has seemed reasonable across the board from what I’ve seen.

I think only 0-12 or 1-11 with 8 blowouts could get Lovie fired. I’m expecting 3-9 and understand this is a total rebuild being done the right way. PJ’s a goof with his Year 0 talk but if that applies to anyone it’s Lovie considering when he was hired.

illini80

Forgottonia
Just watched Dominic Stampley vid. Keeping in mind every highlight video makes a kid look great & the competition may be average, but it doesn't look like he'll be a slouch.

I also like a player who seems to have something to prove. I look forward to seeing how he does.

If you missed his interview with Werner, it's worth going back for a listen. He's had a tough life and is determined to make something of himself. Hope he turns into a fan favorite. I know I'll be rooting for him.

I don’t even know where these ‘irate Illini fans’ are. The fan base has seemed reasonable across the board from what I’ve seen.

I think only 0-12 or 1-11 with 8 blowouts could get Lovie fired. I’m expecting 3-9 and understand this is a total rebuild being done the right way. PJ’s a goof with his Year 0 talk but if that applies to anyone it’s Lovie considering when he was hired.

I’m no insider, but I know a lot of wealthy alumni donors and even those that take lovie and others to blackhawks and bulls games (in their box). There is rumbling. The rumbling isn’t coming from people that follow recruiting and college sports. The rumbling is coming from donors that believe that after a few years we should start to see winning. My understanding is that Whitman believes that Lovie is the guy. And as long as he sees the improvement, he will be ok. But, each year, until we qualify for a bowl game, that rumbling will grow. At some point, Without wins Whitman won’t be able to ignore those voices. Many of those voices are the same that didn’t like him in Chicago as the Bears voach.

Deleted member 654622

D
I’m no insider, but I know a lot of wealthy alumni donors and even those that take lovie and others to blackhawks and bulls games (in their box). There is rumbling. The rumbling isn’t coming from people that follow recruiting and college sports. The rumbling is coming from donors that believe that after a few years we should start to see winning. My understanding is that Whitman believes that Lovie is the guy. And as long as he sees the improvement, he will be ok. But, each year, until we qualify for a bowl game, that rumbling will grow. At some point, Without wins Whitman won’t be able to ignore those voices. Many of those voices are the same that didn’t like him in Chicago as the Bears voach.

If that is true, it goes to show that you can be a dumb*ss and still make a lot of money. Its not been a few years. This is year 2, JW stated as much. :frustrated:

If that is true, it goes to show that you can be a dumb*ss and still make a lot of money. Its not been a few years. This is year 2, JW stated as much. :frustrated:

Given that I am probably Lovie's biggest cheerleader, as this board already sees my many posts trying to create positive narratives for Lovie. That I know and hang out with donors that are looking for a narrative is probably the biggest reason I push positive narratives so much.

A counter-narrative that is often pushed is that Lovie couldn't slice it in Chicago (despite that he is a top 50 winningest coach in NFL history and only had losing seasons when the Bears played in Champaign and the Bears haven't been as good as Lovie's tenure since he left), he went to Tampa and couldn't cut it (despite turning the team around from a bottom feeder to a 6-win season within 2 years of coaching) and now is failing in Illinois (despite lacking many BIG players on the roster and starting the coaching tenure after the spring game).

I think that we have found recruiting gems, the quality of players is higher than it has been in awhile and Lovie is establishing recruiting networks that have never been created, while he repairs the ones that we have. Lovie is a great coach (based on his past) and he has a genuine, simple personality. Not everyone will like the way he coaches. We are going to lose recruiting battles because of this reason. We will lose recruiting battles because not every player wants to live in Champaign. But I think we are in good hands.

And, in the end, we will either win or we won't and there is no possible way to know for sure. We just have to watch trends. For the most part, the trends are up. I mean Beckman even qualified for a bowl game and had momentum before he got fired. I never would have believed that would happen. But negative rumblings will press donors to act. Pressing them to act too soon is harmful to the program. I am a strong believer that we need to press more positive narratives (while not ignoring the negative ones). As mmuhl points out, we lose a lot of great illinois recruits. As long as Lovie is pulling Texas and Florida recruits, it will be ok. If we lose Texas, Florida, Missouri, and Illinois, then we will need to be worried. In the meantime, I believe we just got to press on and believe in Lovie and what the coaching staff is doing.

There absolutely should be rumbling. Lovie has underperformed thusfar and should not be immune from criticism.

But there is ample reason for optimism going forward and staying the course through the next couple seasons is the correct move. My prediction is that the rumbling will be long gone by then.

Deleted member 654622

D
There absolutely should be rumbling. Lovie has underperformed thusfar and should not be immune from criticism.

But there is ample reason for optimism going forward and staying the course through the next couple seasons is the correct move. My prediction is that the rumbling will be long gone by then.

Spot on. He was an NFL guy for decades. Then takes over a putrid college program right before the season. It should not be shocking that Lovie hit some road blocks with his coaching and recruiting strategy. However, it sure looks like we are moving in the right direction. And soon, we get to see the product on the field. Looking forward to seeing some positive growth out of some players.

Deleted member 11196

D

A counter-narrative that is often pushed is that Lovie couldn't slice it in Chicago (despite that he is a top 50 winningest coach in NFL history and only had losing seasons when the Bears played in Champaign and the Bears haven't been as good as Lovie's tenure since he left), he went to Tampa and couldn't cut it (despite turning the team around from a bottom feeder to a 6-win season within 2 years of coaching) and now is failing in Illinois (despite lacking many BIG players on the roster and starting the coaching tenure after the spring game). .....

This is where my line of thought comes from. We live in a country that wants instant success, and we want it in spades.... We are having a crisis of confidence... Confidence in ourselves. Some try to preach patience and fortitude, and others demand that we win NOW! or else....
But that 'or else' ends up in a never ending cycle of hire new coach, and fire him as soon as he fails. And the timeline for that demand for winning or failure keeps getting shorter and shorter... If we don't stop this insane cycle, it will eventually bring the house down on our own heads....
I frankly didn't even know who Lovie was, when he was hired. I don't follow PRO football AT ALL... But I truly want Lovie to succeed... After reading his history and updating my knowledge about him, I think he's a fairly successful coach who can bring both wins, and honor to Illinois Football. I for one wish him well... :illinois::thumb:

I disagree that he has underperformed. He may have lost one or two more games than expected since taking the helm and been slower to turn around certain pipelines in state. But he has exceeded recruiting expectations to date. The team is improving and his recruits have exceeded expectations on the field.

We may have lost some key players, but they were not bought into the system, and several players we lost would not have seen the playing time they wanted moving into this season.

Plus, Lovie has improved game sales and excitement and enthusiasm around Illinois football. Overall, I would say that he is beating expectations.

I disagree that he has underperformed. He may have lost one or two more games than expected.

giphy.gif

This is the same thing as the basketball board. People react to mere sentence construction implying the slightest imperfection of the Savior Figure as if it's a swarm of killer bees or something.

It is especially annoying here because I AGREE THAT LOVIE IS THE SAVIOR.

Lovie is 5-19. The record could have and ought to be better than that, and Lovie has made mistakes which helped to create that under-performance.

HOWEVER, there is ample reason to believe the program is on solid footing and progressing toward a much brighter future and we should be happy and excited to have Lovie as the head football coach and, frankly, we should be more optimistic about this season than I think many people are.

My kingdom to shake this board loose from the "the new coach has no flaws, yet has no chance to avoid utter humiliation with the current team, whichever uncommitted recruits we are currently chasing will all commit to us in an orgiastic flurry and that will change everything overnight" hypnosis it's perpetually in.

Our guys are going to go to camp with a hell of a coaching staff and become better football players, and that is going to reveal itself on the field this fall. THAT'S the narrative to cling to.

the national

the Front Range
I dont think most people on here think Lovie is flawless. Its a tough job and people will have their opinions. We are lucky to have him and lucky he is patient enough to stick with us despite the challenge. However, he has made some mistakes along the way. Recruiting, until this class, has held us back. We need better players and he is working on that. I think the coaching changes this offseason will be an upgrade. Bottom line, we are still rebuilding. its gonna take time.

Deleted member 654622

D
There is a lot of positive talk about the program with a very negative tone...

original.gif

giphy.gif

This is the same thing as the basketball board. People react to mere sentence construction implying the slightest imperfection of the Savior Figure as if it's a swarm of killer bees or something.

It is especially annoying here because I AGREE THAT LOVIE IS THE SAVIOR.

Lovie is 5-19. The record could have and ought to be better than that, and Lovie has made mistakes which helped to create that under-performance.

HOWEVER, there is ample reason to believe the program is on solid footing and progressing toward a much brighter future and we should be happy and excited to have Lovie as the head football coach and, frankly, we should be more optimistic about this season than I think many people are.

My kingdom to shake this board loose from the "the new coach has no flaws, yet has no chance to avoid utter humiliation with the current team, whichever uncommitted recruits we are currently chasing will all commit to us in an orgiastic flurry and that will change everything overnight" hypnosis it's perpetually in.

Our guys are going to go to camp with a hell of a coaching staff and become better football players, and that is going to reveal itself on the field this fall. THAT'S the narrative to cling to.

You said lovie has underperformed. I disagree with you. I didn’t say any of the other things you are implying. Most of it doesn’t even make sense. But I can see that you are frustrated with something happening on a discussion board

I disagree that he has underperformed. He may have lost one or two more games than expected since taking the helm and been slower to turn around certain pipelines in state. But he has exceeded recruiting expectations to date. The team is improving and his recruits have exceeded expectations on the field.

We may have lost some key players, but they were not bought into the system, and several players we lost would not have seen the playing time they wanted moving into this season.

Plus, Lovie has improved game sales and excitement and enthusiasm around Illinois football. Overall, I would say that he is beating expectations.

Average home attendance this year was 39,429, the worst since 1970.

BZuppke

Plainfield
#WeWillWin. Patience people. We’re building the foundation to have a solid, winning program.

I dont think most people on here think Lovie is flawless. Its a tough job and people will have their opinions. We are lucky to have him and lucky he is patient enough to stick with us despite the challenge. However, he has made some mistakes along the way. Recruiting, until this class, has held us back. We need better players and he is working on that. I think the coaching changes this offseason will be an upgrade. Bottom line, we are still rebuilding. its gonna take time.

Every coach makes mistakes. That shouldn’t be an issue, the issue would be if the coach didn’t learn and move forward. I believe Lovie and Underwood both have. I don’t believe Groce or Beckman consistently learned from some key mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.