Illinois 70, Missouri 64 POSTGAME

“No, it was an unlucky loss to a terrible team. Similar to North Carolina's loss to Wofford the other night.”

Apparently the whiskey is flowing well in Missouri tonight.

"they were lucky in shooting, we were unlucky in shooting"

it's called defense

Yeah, Leron Black (Hole)... It gets frustrating watching him shoot almost every time he gets the ball, except when it goes in.

On one of the last 2 or 3 possessions of the game, he got a key offensive rebound on a Frazier missed layup, and tried to go back up with it. Thankfully he got blocked and the ball went right back to him, because after that, he kicked it out to waste more clock. Should've done that in the first place, but his mindset is always SHOOT/SCORE.

Not sure what you were focusing on, but without Leron shooting, we lose that game.

After Mizzou beat SFA by 1 on Tues, Cuonzo asked to speak to the SFA players in their locker room. He then rambled about how they can be proud of their effort, and how it hurts to lose, but they should know they have a good team.

SFA posted the video to Twitter.

Some people have called it classy.

I think it shows Cuonzo is full of himself and a blowhard.

Cuonzo is not that kind of guy. He said he had never talked to another team right after the game so he saw something in them that he wanted to let them know.

Just like earlier in the year when the Tigers beat Miami Ohio by 19 when he talked after the game to the media he flat out said the team that played the hardest did not win. He said they controlled the game throughout. He's a pretty straight forward guy.

I do think talking to them was a little weird though, esp. immediately after the game.

I personnally think tilmon would slow our team down a bit. Not that I think hes a bad player I think hes very skilled. But too weak to play in our defense. Hes a little slow black and finke are much quicker at this point .And sometimes he gets in the way of his own guards Im sure if he stays till his junior season he would be much improved. But he would not be as big a help this season as some might think.

Deleted member 631370

D
Just wanted to congratulate you guys on the win last night.

Thanks Chuck.

You're a classy poster, and always welcome here.

I usually offer opposing fans the usual "best of luck to your team, you guys are all class", but I can't do that with Mizzou :D

I do hope you all stay healthy and get Porter back, though. And I hope he's healthy enough to go pro ASAP. :)

Thanks Chuck.

You're a classy poster, and always welcome here.

I usually offer opposing fans the usual "best of luck to your team, you guys are all class", but I can't do that with Mizzou :D

I do hope you all stay healthy and get Porter back, though. And I hope he's healthy enough to go pro ASAP. :)

No problem, I used to live a bit south of Champaign for a few years and have friends who are big Illini fans. It always makes for some fun jabbing back and forth, except I haven't been able to say much lately.

One thing I'll say is both teams have new coaches and are young which should make some good watching in the future.

iLL 89ers

Dallas,TX , Born and raised in Alton,Illinois
Totally agree, ,,,the 1st half was best defensive execution I`ve seen in Illinois in years !

Mizzou wasn`t ready and looked "dazed & confuzed",,never ran any kind of offense 80 % in first half almost" helter skelter " like in their end .

Just wanted to say how happy and proud of the way the Illini played vs. Missouri. I think this is the game where the team realizes the talent and toughness of the team and begins to execute and play like this consistently. Congratulations and Merry Christmas to the coaches and staff of the Fighting Illini.

Great atmosphere. Brought it back to the level it has been in the past. Virtual sellout.

I was disappointed in the IL fans booing JT every time he touched the ball or entered the game. Stay classy IL, he's just a kid.

Great first half, somewhat shaky second half, but we shook off some Mizzou body blows and brought home a win.

Leron, Trent, and Michael really stood out with solid play, but everyone contributed something.

Work on those free throws, boys.

I know for Chitown area fans this is sometimes just another game on the schedule but for StL area folks this game is huge, and we can go to work after Christmas and listen to the Miznoz fans whine some more, it's truly sweet music.

blackdog

Champaign
Saw this posted on Facebook and had to share :D

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1514127937732.jpg
    FB_IMG_1514127937732.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,010

jbmay83

O Fallon
Couldn't have asked for a better festivus celebration! Got home from the game and the Seinfeld strike episode was on. Festivus yes, miznoz no!

Great atmosphere. Brought it back to the level it has been in the past. Virtual sellout.

I was disappointed in the IL fans booing JT every time he touched the ball or entered the game. Stay classy IL, he's just a kid.

Great first half, somewhat shaky second half, but we shook off some Mizzou body blows and brought home a win.

Leron, Trent, and Michael really stood out with solid play, but everyone contributed something.

I know for Chitown area fans this is sometimes just another game on the schedule but for StL area folks this game is huge, and we can go to work after Christmas and listen to the Miznoz fans whine some more, it's truly sweet music.

These posts just aggravate me. Thanks for the scolding.:tsk:

illiniCA

DC Area
Glad we won. I was only able to watch the second half. As you might expect I am not ask excited as everyone else. The offense seemed slow and we left a lot of wide open 3s on D.

Tale of two halves though. I am sure if I watched the first half I would be really happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very impressive win! Happy for the players & of course Coach Underwood .

Its always fun winning against Misery .

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY

If you think booing tilmon is bad, you should come down here next weekend for Louisville/Kentucky game. It’s a rivalry. You want things to fire up fans/players.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Welp, if we can play D like we did for the first 20, for the full 40, we'll win a good deal more games than I figured a week ago. We didn't fold, despite a pretty shaky 2nd half. Fantastic game from Black. Frazier continues to shine (next step: hit more of those high degree of difficulty layups or feed the open man for a much easier layup) and Finke was solid. Good growth game, need to build on it. Need to get more offense from the rest of the squad.

Post-game "I was there" write up

I wondered at the game whether or not the crowd would go the "booing" route. Was able to get that question resolved pretty danged quickly.

I'm still not 100% one way or the other on it... but Tilmon didn't help his case at all with the "Missouri by 30" comment. I think I'm more on the corner of "all's fair in love and war" on this score. I cheered extra-loud whenever Tilmon got stuffed or stripped (this happened multiple times).

At the game, it was clear that Frazier is just full to the brim with confidence right now and is a better scorer than TJL. It was a pretty rough game for TJL - Harris bullied him quite a bit, even after he got T'd up by Teddy. I think Frazier is going to overtake Lucas in the same way that Lucas overtook Tate last season.

Mark Smith is appearing in post-game summaries as having had a strong game, but I'm not sure I totally agree. His 10-point tally was inflated by two catch-and-shoot 3's. Otherwise, he still looks like a freshman who hasn't had the lightbulb go off yet as to what the college game is like. Very tentative overall. Once he gets there, though, watch out.

I'm torn on whether or not to give the game ball to Frazier or Black. Leron was just an absolute rock for us in this game. He bottled up Tilmon and Porter and was our only reliable weapon on offense. One of his best games as an Illini ever, no question.

Alstork had another game where the box score does not tell the story. His defense was top-notch. When he was in the same corner of the court the ball was, Mizzou tended to freeze up and turn it over more often. In a way I feel bad for Alstork because he isn't putting up the flashy scoring numbers I know he wanted to. But he's doing the little things and, personally, impresses me a great deal. Only gripe against him for this game was him trying to make a layup over a Mizzou double-team and earning a turnover instead of dishing out to a locked-and-loaded Mark Smith for an uncontested three.

The game environment was great. Better than the last few years. Never got as loud as it did during Ray's shot, but it was still definitely fun. We're hearing "sellout crowd" and "best crowd since 200x," but there were a lot of empty seats. And they weren't all season ticket holders either. That really baffles me. Who buys a ticket and then just doesn't go? Are those empty seats casualties of scalpers or something? I don't get it.

Favorite moment: in the hallways right after the game there was a "MIZ-NOZ" chant.

These posts just aggravate me. Thanks for the scolding.:tsk:

It was over the top IMO. The kid decided where he wanted to go to college, that's all.

If you like juvenile stuff like that go ahead. I don't. Simple as that.