Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,627      
I saw Colin McGovern, New Lenox native and former Fighting Irish, decided to do a graduate transfer to Virginia. He would have been a good grab to plug into the o-line for this year and potentially allow one more of the freshman lineman to redshirt this coming year. Oh well.

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/n...cle_da6a7ad2-e252-11e6-9d05-c39536332364.html

Welll lets hope the NCAA changes the rule about RS to let kids play a few games and then still be able to RS, It would really help with OL kids to be able to get them out their and let them see what they are up against, so they see they need to get stronger. I have often wondered about why teams didn't play FR OL/and DL then rs them their 2nd year just for this reason. It is a lot easyer to get a young man to buy into the idea of you need to get bigger and stronger once they are out there and see it first hand. Seems to me Bobby Knight used to do this in Basketball, for the same reason. Like Darta Lee, IF at all possible it would be nice to not have to play him at all this year and RS him, even though he played a little last year.

#3,628      

riffraff

Peoria
Welll lets hope the NCAA changes the rule about RS to let kids play a few games and then still be able to RS, It would really help with OL kids to be able to get them out their and let them see what they are up against, so they see they need to get stronger. I have often wondered about why teams didn't play FR OL/and DL then rs them their 2nd year just for this reason. It is a lot easyer to get a young man to buy into the idea of you need to get bigger and stronger once they are out there and see it first hand. Seems to me Bobby Knight used to do this in Basketball, for the same reason. Like Darta Lee, IF at all possible it would be nice to not have to play him at all this year and RS him, even though he played a little last year.
Season is too short. If only done in non-conference play they may not get the right sense. I like the idea of letting them play under 5 min per game for the first three games though and still be eligible.

#3,629      
Season is too short. If only done in non-conference play they may not get the right sense. I like the idea of letting them play under 5 min per game for the first three games though and still be eligible.

I think in football you'd have to measure by snaps. Also, I prefer the 4 games, that would give our guys one P5 opponent and time in the B10 opener available to them, so don't think your bolded point is really true.

#3,630      

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]ENtrTQ5ajlY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]6_QfDQTYKnQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]JJVLHADTRE4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]x6Aev6uNWcc[/YOUTUBE]

#3,632      
Looks like we brought a full car to see Bobby Roundtree today:

https://twitter.com/LargoFootball/status/824006231715102722

C291SyyUUAAHxAJ.jpg

#3,634      
Nice!!

I do find it interesting that all those staff members can make it to Florida for a three star however the WR coach has never made a visit to Jeff Thomas 3 hours down the road. Actions show priority targets.

Can we not make every post on this thread about ESL? Also, you should know as an Illini follower that we need DEs more than WRs right now, and that we also have very few priority targets left on the board which is what makes this possible. :hand:

#3,635      

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
Can we not make every post on this thread about ESL? Also, you should know as an Illini follower that we need DEs more than WRs right now, and that we also have very few priority targets left on the board which is what makes this possible. :hand:

Besides, my opinion only based on how we have seen it play out so far, maybe the coaching staff gets the vibe from Thomas that he is too good for Illinois and is looking for bigger offers. I could be way off base but that is my impression based on what we have seen.

#3,636      
Besides, my opinion only based on how we have seen it play out so far, maybe the coaching staff gets the vibe from Thomas that he is too good for Illinois and is looking for bigger offers. I could be way off base but that is my impression based on what we have seen.

I'm not even interested in speculating. The post was about Roundtree, not Thomas, it makes sense considering our current big board, and that's it. It has absolutely nothing to do with ESL.

#3,637      

Sounds good.

#3,638      

FT35

Naperville
#3,639      
Nice find. When they want someone this staff really goes all out. They made the same full court press on Kendrick Green and it worked.

Roundtree appears to be taking his official visit to Indiana this weekend and CB prediction is for Indiana. I wonder if the coaching change helps us there?

Coaching change is less recent than the CBs and such, so I don't think it really does. The bigger sell will be to focus on IU's 6 DL commits already in the fold. We can *probably* (not entirely familiar with their depth chart, naturally) offer more early PT. Winning that one would be absolutely crazy, IU has been in the driver's seat for a while.

#3,642      
No way we pull Roundtree from IU. Have you seen his twitter?? It's all Indiana, didn't even mention the plethora of staff members that came to see him today. Hope I'm wrong of course!

#3,643      
Just wondering what Illini coach has been in to see JT?

Thad Ward, Garrick McGee and Lovie Smith. There was sone concern trolling there me thinks.

The amount of Arch tweets from Coach McGee made it clear he was the lead recruiter

#3,644      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I do find it interesting that all those staff members can make it to Florida for a three star however the WR coach has never made a visit to Jeff Thomas 3 hours down the road. Actions show priority targets.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

#3,645      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
No way we pull Roundtree from IU. Have you seen his twitter?? It's all Indiana, didn't even mention the plethora of staff members that came to see him today. Hope I'm wrong of course!

From a playing time perspective, Indiana already has 6 defensive ends on campus and are bringing in four more (not including Roundtree). That's compared to Illinois with 3 defensive ends and two currently committed. I do agree it's an uphill battle, but I'm sure the coaching staff and pushing playing time possibilities.

#3,649      
Trey Creamer, DB from Georgia (Minn commit) is apparently taking one last OV (unspecified right now) this weekend, would be huge if it was to Champaign. He just took one to Iowa last weekend after saying he wouldn't take any more officials, so seems like he's flippable. JMO, but would be big time!

Status
Not open for further replies.