Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,127      

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
Seems like our California recruiting profile is either diamond-in-the-rough kids with few offers or 4-stars (of which we've yet to land). Just kinda odd. You'd think we'd be living in that mid 3-star area like we are in Florida and Texas.

#2,128      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Seems like our California recruiting profile is either diamond-in-the-rough kids with few offers or 4-stars (of which we've yet to land). Just kinda odd. You'd think we'd be living in that mid 3-star area like we are in Florida and Texas.

There are many paths to The League. Some kids have a much more open mind than others. Early playing time and VG coaching bona fides hit a chord in increasing numbers. That we are elbowing our way into contention for 4 stars is a good sign.

#2,129      

I may be biased by exactly the mechanics you're talking about, but it does seem like California is slightly more top-heavy in its talent.

Not being quite as well-traveled a recruiting ground may have something to do with that. Like, if Matt Robinson were at one of those Texas super schools, does he maybe get a couple P5 nibbles from the Kansas and Syracuse type schools that seem to offer everybody in Florida and Texas?

#2,130      

UofI08

Chicago
I may be biased by exactly the mechanics you're talking about, but it does seem like California is slightly more top-heavy in its talent.

Not being quite as well-traveled a recruiting ground may have something to do with that. Like, if Matt Robinson were at one of those Texas super schools, does he maybe get a couple P5 nibbles from the Kansas and Syracuse type schools that seem to offer everybody in Florida and Texas?

You might be on to something here. Outside of the PAC12, there's not really as much activity from other P5 programs in California as in Florida and Texas.

However, you can use our other freshman quarterback to somewhat debunk the theory. MJ Rivers played at Frisco, definitely a Texas super school, and had all the physical measurables Robinson lacks, and still only had P5 offers from us and Iowa State.

So I guess my reply can be summed us as, "Who knows? Maybe?"

#2,131      
It is notable that Rivers signed early after committing in Sept. So, there was going to be no late offers from P5 schools after Dec.

#2,134      
I'm ready for PJ Fleck to go the way of Coach Cool at Texas A&M and "Coach GQ" at Texas Tech.

Texas Tech had a rough week 1 but their offense is really going. Kliff could silence some critics with a win over WVU this week

#2,138      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
#2,139      
I hadn't really thought about seniors taking a redshirt after the first four games and not getting the PT they wanted.

#2,140      
Can't hurt to make a phone call but I'm guessing a lot of really good P5's will be involved in his recruitment (South Carolina? WVU? Penn State? UCLA? Auburn?)

I think that he will pass on a good P5 for the possibility he loses out to someone that knows the system better. If I were to guess, us (or a school in a similar position) would be ideal for him.

#2,142      
I hope the Illini take a pass on Kelly Bryant. Considering all that Clemson talent around him, his stats aren't blowing me away. And let's face it, he got beat out by a freshman. MJ Rivers looks like, at the very least, he can be a competent Big Ten quarterback. Isaiah Williams is also coming in next year. The Illini needed a transfer this year. I don't think they need one next year.

#2,143      
I hope the Illini take a pass on Kelly Bryant. Considering all that Clemson talent around him, his stats aren't blowing me away. And let's face it, he got beat out by a freshman. MJ Rivers looks like, at the very least, he can be a competent Big Ten quarterback. Isaiah Williams is also coming in next year. The Illini needed a transfer this year. I don't think they need one next year.
That's not just any freshman. That's the next Peyton Manning.

#2,144      

Deleted member 654622

D
Can't hurt to make a phone call but I'm guessing a lot of really good P5's will be involved in his recruitment (South Carolina? WVU? Penn State? UCLA? Auburn?)
I can see FSU jumping all over this kid

#2,145      

Deleted member 654622

D
Just saying he got beat out by a freshman does not do this justice. He got beat out by a future no. 1 pick, the no. 1 ranked recruit in the nation, a 247 ranking of .9999. In High School, as a freshman, he won the QB job over an All State Senior QB. They moved that kid to WR. I LOVE MJ, but Trevor Lawrence is on a whole new level.

#2,147      
Just saying he got beat out by a freshman does not do this justice. He got beat out by a future no. 1 pick, the no. 1 ranked recruit in the nation, a 247 ranking of .9999. In High School, as a freshman, he won the QB job over an All State Senior QB. They moved that kid to WR. I LOVE MJ, but Trevor Lawrence is on a whole new level.
Very good points, thank you, but still not interested. Now if Trevor Lawrence decides to transfer...

#2,148      

westms77

Gilbert, AZ

I'm gonna guess he takes a pass on us ;)

#2,149      

Deleted member 654622

D
Any news on when Shammond is going to commit? I thought it was going to be around October? Maybe if we put a beat down on Rutgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.