Illinois Football Staff Thread

Monsters+of+the+Gridiron+Hardy+Nickerson.JPG

I'll just leave this here.

My only issue is Butkus but given the circumstances of his previous time here, I'll reserve judgment. The two I'm looking at the most closely now are recruiting coordinator and S&C coach.

After being quite upset with the Butkus news yesterday, I'm willing to see the results on the field. Hopefully, Butkus 2.0 does a good job.

Is Lou available for S&C?

I think a lot of people are not realizing an important factor in assembling a coaching staff. You can't just throw money at a bunch of big-name assistants and expect success. The goal is to hire the most qualified guys who all have bought into the HC's philosophy and style.

Something else, if you look at it, the two guys we have confirmed are both going to be hired at around 200K/year, which is barely a dent into the 4M pool. McGee, if hired, will take up a large chunk. We can get Nickerson ~650K I would think. There is still a lot of money out there, and I think it will be interesting to see who the recruiting coordinator is.

Recruiting coordinator is crucial. Needs to be either a) Hecklinski or b) 500-600k to Tim Brewster

was hoping for a little bigger name than McGee but I have full trust in Lovie.. Gotta remember Stoops trying luring McGee to Oklahoma last year for the OC job and he turned it down. so he is highly though of obviously

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Never heard of McGee until yesterday. Watch the video at the bottom of the article on this page where he talks recruiting. The way he expresses himself, you can see the influence Lovie might have had on him and his approach.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...rt-illinois-smith-wants-cards-mcgee/81486352/

Seems like an impressive guy to me.

Lovie's biggest recruit so far!! Now let's get some 2017 4-stars from Illinois, Texas, Florida, Missouri! Oh, 5-stars are more that welcome too.

SalukiIllini

Evansville, IN
The one knock every one had on Lovie was surrounding himself with good football people, especially offensively. Uh, I think that's going to be okay :D

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Lovie and McGee have a relationship. I believe Lovie actually helped recruit him when he was a highschool player, so there is a level of trust between the two. I think Lovie will give McGee the chance to really run the show on the offensive side without too much meddling. I'm guessing he is also getting a nice raise.

Fillory

4th Floor Grainger
Lovie and McGee have a relationship. I believe Lovie actually helped recruit him when he was a highschool player, so there is a level of trust between the two. I think Lovie will give McGee the chance to really run the show on the offensive side without too much meddling. I'm guessing he is also getting a nice raise.

I think we'll definitely see an agreed upon offensive philosophy of balance (something Smith has harped on forever) but McGee will be mostly in charge.

On to the DC

As far as Xs and Os, Sherman was probably more appealing. BUT how the staff is looking now, McGee makes more sense. He adds a college guy to the staff. I know Sherman coached college but he's 61. McGee makes more sense as a recruiter and he will help Lovie transition to modern day college football.

Has anyone heard anymore in regards to Nate potentially staying on the new staff in some capacity? I really enjoyed watching him here, and think he is a star in the making as a coach. It would be great to retain him even if it is just a football support position. He is a very, very, intelligent young man.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
Last edited: