Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuonzo (or his people) getting into the ear of JT's dad is the reason he asked to be released. The coaching change just became his out. I firmly believe if Groce was still our coach the same scenario plays out.

Mad Scientist
Arizona, USA
Cuonzo (or his people) getting into the ear of JT's dad is the reason he asked to be released. The coaching change just became his out. I firmly believe if Groce was still our coach the same scenario plays out.
Of course if the coaching change hadn't happened, that would provide cover for the university to consider just not releasing him, though I don't think that would be a positive development either.

Whitman got played? Absolutely not. He took a very fluid situation and hired a very good if not great offensive mind in Underwood. We now have Antigua and Walker as assistants, with a good possibility of landing another good assistant. Walker IMHO was the best at technical/skill coaching and recruiting from Groce's staff. He also maintains the continuity of the current players and retained 3/4 players of the recruits. Tilmon's situation appears murky, not going to blame Whitman, Walker, or BU for that.

Need to land two big men and possibly M Smith.

This really bothers me.

The guy is barely a blip on MSU's radar while we're falling over ourselves for him. Yet he's way more enamoured with East Lansing, and he's probably going to commit this weekend (whether or not he announces it).
How do you know he's way more enamored with MSU? Everyone is guessing, no one really knows whats going on. We are used to getting passed over so it feels like that, not sure its true though. I have heard tons of different things about Smith, i dont know who to believe.

I don't know the details of Walker's contract, but is there any chance Underwood cans him if he fails to deliver either Smith or Walker? It seems to me as if that was a major reason he was hired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All this J.Walker bashing must stop.
1. Underwood has known and had relationship with him for a while.
2. He has close relationships with current players(huge) and current recruits.
3. He is a good Coach and mentor.
4. He has recruiting connections in key areas.

If you think he was hired solely for Tilmon and Smith you're wrong!!

I think I've heard of schools releasing a player but blocking them signing with specific schools. I guess that's just transfers, any way they can do that with recruits that signed loi?

I think I've heard of schools releasing a player but blocking them signing with specific schools. I guess that's just transfers, any way they can do that with recruits that signed loi?
This is done with transfers, I assume, because of competitive advantage. We might "block" a transfer to Mizzou or Iowa because we play against them. The scouting and familiarity are risks.

I don't think Tilmon counts here because he was never really onboard to provide that knowledge to our competition. Blocking would just be for spite, I guess.

No, not really. There is an option to allow them to be recruited without giving them a full release, but that's not a realistic option in most cases, IMO. In the end either you release them or you don't.

All this J.Walker bashing must stop.
1. Underwood has known and had relationship with him for a while.
2. He has close relationships with current players(huge) and current recruits.
3. He is a good Coach and mentor.
4. He has recruiting connections in key areas.

If you think he was hired solely for Tilmon and Smith you're wrong!!
ESL area is up and coming as far as potential players now and to come...Walker is also well liked in many other circles and with many other players. Many of whom are sticking to their commitments.

BU is known as a X and O's guy, this is why Walker and now Antigua are on board....their talent lies in recruiting. THIS is the reason Walker was kept...sure did everyone think Tilmon was part of the reason...yes, but not the only one by FAR!

There are a "bunch of other guys" on here that you haven't heard of?

I don't think there is another guy that I haven't heard of the ILLINI showing interest in, in the past?

http://illinois.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Targets
Yeah, I'm talking about the "Scout Look" section, which I assume means guys they've checked out but aren't really pursuing. Look at those rankings, 200, 300, 400....these aren't high major players.

Not sure why Mark Smith is in there, that makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.