Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,303      
They'll be there. It's an EYBL event, everyone will be there.

However, at least part of the staff is sacrificing the first day of the event to host Bryce Golden.

Here's the event schedule: https://www.d1circuit.com/eybldallas2018

They'll be most locked in to Mac Irvin Fire (Kahlil Whitney, Adam Miller) and Brad Beal Elite (Okoro, Liddell). Meanstreets will likely also have some players of interest, I believe DJ Steward will be on that team.

Plenty of others I'm missing.

I hear that Illinois is looking at Drew Timme from Richardson Texas( high school JJ pierce) who plays for Drive Nation.

#2,304      
Looking at a few All-Americans and their recruiting rankings (247). Carsen Edwards @ 118. Jevon Carter @ 299. Luke Maye @ NR. Keenan Evans @ 292. Devonte Graham @ 99. Mikal Bridges @ 81.

I believe that the rest of the All Americans are rated pretty high. But I find it interesting how low some of these All Americans are rated, especially Jevon Carter after watching him play.

Keep in mind most of the highly ranked players leave early before they can have a full impact at the collegiate level because they're paid millions on their potential. Still impressive to see so many 100+ crack the upper echelon.

#2,306      
Not sure I understand this. Why would this class, in 3-4 years, be better than those other classes that are currently ranked higher, when they are also 3-4 years older?

There are two ways to catch up to, and pass, our conference and national competitors:

1) start with better players coming in, i.e. out-recruit them. Underwood has done well to assemble a full class this late in the year, but it's arguable that it was made necessary by NOT recruiting better earlier in the year, or because we were farther behind in talent than we thought in the fall. Still, as well as he's done, this group is middle-of-the-pack in the conference. It's not likely, by itself, to be good enough to elevate the team a whole lot.

2) out-coach them, both through skill development and team concepts. All the experts say Underwood is an excellent coach, and I tend to believe them, but it has to show up on the floor. This next year will be critical, I think, in showing what he can do as a coach -- improving guys skills in the offseason, and (with a more experienced assistant coaching staff in his system), teach and refine his offense and defense. If the team looks more fluid and cohesive and effective at running his schemes, then confidence will build (or be restored) that he can in fact "coach 'em up".

But as of now, using the information we have, it's not clear that this class, by itself, will necessarily outperform the other classes in the conference, let alone be enough to elevate the program. I am hopeful though. Of course, that's all we Illini fans have at this point -- hope.

Above .500 in the B1G would be elevation of the program at this point. The last time the Illini had a winning record in the conference was the 2009-10 season. The kids we are recruiting now were in elementary school. We have to get back to B1G level of average before we are competing for Championships again. I'm cautiously optimistic this class can at least get us to that level. Recruiting is a lot easier when you are competing for titles year after year. I think BU and his staff have done a great job in recruiting under the circumstances, but we have a long way to go in rebuilding the damage done to this program's brand over the last decade or so.

#2,307      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Above .500 in the B1G would be elevation of the program at this point. The last time the Illini had a winning record in the conference was the 2009-10 season. The kids we are recruiting now were in elementary school. We have to get back to B1G level of average before we are competing for Championships again. I'm cautiously optimistic this class can at least get us to that level. Recruiting is a lot easier when you are competing for titles year after year. I think BU and his staff have done a great job in recruiting under the circumstances, but we have a long way to go in rebuilding the damage done to this program's brand over the last decade or so.

Wow, it seems like only yesterday that we were always at/near the top of the conference. OK, yesterday in the sense of it took 6 days to create the world.

#2,308      

jrod1286

Pat Chambers
Illinois
Anyone else hearing we got a verbal commitment for the last open scholly?

#2,311      
I hear that Illinois is looking at Drew Timme from Richardson Texas( high school JJ pierce) who plays for Drive Nation.

My understanding is that Timme had already been offered by UI but that there was not a ton of mutual interest.

#2,314      
No evidence of this that I see, including VIP Syracuse 247/Scout.

As you know, SU was in to see 2018 6'9" PF Robert Braswell on Wed and now there are rumblings that they are trying to schedule an OV with him. Also as you know, both Brissett and Tyus Battle have submitted their names for the draft but rumors have it that they will both come back to SU. Plus SU might just roll over the ship to 2019 since they have a plethora of top 50 offers out.
So given all that watch Golden verbal to SU on Sunday when he returns home.:D

#2,316      

t7nich

Central IL
As you know, SU was in to see 2018 6'9" PF Robert Braswell on Wed and now there are rumblings that they are trying to schedule an OV with him. Also as you know, both Brissett and Tyus Battle have submitted their names for the draft but rumors have it that they will both come back to SU. Plus SU might just roll over the ship to 2019 since they have a plethora of top 50 offers out.

Brissett will be back.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._oshae_brissett_will_be_back_next_season.html

#2,318      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL

Yes, they want one of the two. Prefer Golden, which is why he has an offer. Pressured Golden for commit, but wanted to take official to UI. SU originally was going to visit Braswell on Monday, but moved til Wednesday. Don't think Braswell has an offer yet...would get one on an OV. Don't think they have firmed a date for OV yet.

#2,321      

Deleted member 8896

D
Went to see Bradley Beal tonight and I really liked Liddell. Outside shot, good passer, and solid defense. Okoro was having trouble at center against bigger players and free throw shooting needs work. Roy Williams, Bruce Weber, Dana altman, and others were watching too.

#2,322      
Went to see Bradley Beal tonight and I really liked Liddell. Outside shot, good passer, and solid defense. Okoro was having trouble at center against bigger players and free throw shooting needs work. Roy Williams, Bruce Weber, Dana altman, and others were watching too.

Thanks for eye ball report. This might be part of the reason Okoro dropped from #34 to #42 in latest Rivals.
Anybody at OHOP for breakfast?? First hand reports from Ubbeville??

#2,323      

illini80

Forgottonia
Thanks for eye ball report. This might be part of the reason Okoro dropped from #34 to #42 in latest Rivals.
Anybody at OHOP for breakfast?? First hand reports from Ubbeville??

Damn it's quiet this morning. Was hoping for some early news today, but so far nothing.

I guess silence is...Golden?!

When is the visit over? Today sometime I assume?

#2,324      
Damn it's quiet this morning. Was hoping for some early news today, but so far nothing.

I guess silence is...Golden?!

When is the visit over? Today sometime I assume?

Similar response to yours. He arrived Thursday, so has to leave in 48 hours, I believe. Could hear something soon, but likely not. I know that I would encourage taking a little time for reflection before committing. But we can dream.

#2,325      

illini80

Forgottonia
Listened to the awful periscope Evans did but there was at least some info there. Visit over this morning. Coaches thought everything went great. Lots of smiles from Golden and his family. Good turn out at Ubben and Golden seemed to appreciate it. Not a scrimmage, just an individual workout. Thinks he will announce early week IF he's sold on Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.