Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-February 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the immediate grad transfer rule is potentially a very bad thing. If we dislike the filth of college recruiting now, it is just going to get worse. Just think of it this way: kid at say Murray State has a breakout season as a point guard and during mid-season is grabbing attention nationwide. Ohio State finds out that their current point guard isn't nearly as good as his ranking and they don't have an adequate backup. So, they start contacting the kid mid-season about transferring to their school next year. Don't think this won't happen. It's just a another way for recruiting to be done and since it is not done honestly now, that will surely carry over to this type of situation.

I don't think you can say that students with good gpa can transfer only during their academic season.

Or do you mean that you declare your intent, but finish out the semester where you are? Wasn't sure.

You're right, I wasn't really thinking that through with the March through May window. Basically was trying to point to needing some sort of control over when a player can transfer without penalty. Basically I'm imagining a players leaving early/mid august and being able to play immediately when the season starts. That is not good for CBB.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
For some reason, I think the ILLINI come out on top for Flo Thamba?

He seems like a Baylor type, but I think with Ayo, we get him!

That's impressive. Posted 8 minutes before news hits twitter that he's going to Baylor. Unbelievable... LOL

Now we have try and beat out Maryland for Herard. With Flo heading to Baylor, I highly doubt Herard joins him there.

LOL, good timing PLAYAZ.

Well I was partially correct, he obviously is a Baylor type now...lol, just makes me still an outsider, jump on the wagon!

I have recently herard, that Schnider will be picking the ILLINI, over Maryland and be available 2nd semester.

So Ayo, Herard, and ???? 2 more next year? Juco's?:chief:

Well I was partially correct, he obviously is a Baylor type now...lol, just makes me still an outsider, jump on the wagon!

I have recently herard, that Schnider will be picking the ILLINI, over Maryland and be available 2nd semester.

So Ayo, Herard, and ???? 2 more next year? Juco's?:chief:
Is the person you heard this from ever correct would be question #1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
At least he was just expressing his opinion.

Who was the guy who claimed he had inside info suggesting that Nolley was indeed coming to Illinois? Nolley committed to VA Tech literally a few minutes later, IIRC.

Not running down PlayAZ at all. Just amazed at the timing of his post and the resulting Thamba decision... that's all. I don't remember who the Nolley insider was...

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Obviously nobody really knows what would happen, and I could see a lot of different scenarios playing out, but I think the likely end game here is that it would be just plain bad for college bb.

I think the number of transfers would at least double. Maybe not right away but a few years down the road. Offseason would become much more chaotic.

Lots of other, better options besides a sweeping permit to transfer whenever without penalty. I'd propose some sort of transfer window, maybe between March and May, where kids could transfer freely. Penalty for transfers outside that window would be the same as now. I get this is basically what happens now just with a complete freedom for a few months, but I think there has to be some sort of constrain.

If they do let free transfers go without sitting a year, I think that a player should only be allowed that for his first transfer. If he wants to then again transfer to yet another school, he should have to sit out a year, IMO.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
The grad transfer rule is a farce in its present form. NCAA data shows that graduate transfers have lower graduation rates and are simply making a basketball decision. If you really want to reward academics, let them transfer like regular transfers, sit out a year and give them an extra year of eligibility. Thus they will have 2 years to complete the degree (as most masters take more than a year) and also play out their eligibility.

This stat is a farce. The NCAA only allows grad transfers to have immediate eligibility if they enroll in a program that their current school does not possess. This requires grad transfers to enroll in rare and unconventional graduate programs. Almost all universities have one year of 18-month graduate programs, but most are in traditional program settings, which are excluded from the athlete because of the NCAA grad transfer regulations. The NCAA created an athlete-friendly rule, but poisoned the academic well by removing most of the useful academic programs that are available.

Is the person you heard this from ever correct would be question #1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am correct 100% of the time, I was due to be wrong though it had been 6 years so.....Flo took care of that.

They call it a streak, let it begin again...

Ayo, Herard, Trice and player to be named later:chief:

The proposed transfer rule would make a joke of a college education. The difference between grad transfer is that they completed their initial degree and are pursuing a grad program with the benefit of finding an athletic program that suits them. I can't think of grad transfers who were serious NBA candidates. So they often don't change the losing or gaining program much. Most of these transfers often go to lower tier programs for more PT.

Dan

Admin
6’4” [2019] Jahmius Ramsey @JahmiusRamsey of @IMGAcademy just earned an offer from #Illinois . Has offers from Texas A&M, Virginia, Baylor, Kansas St., UNLV & Florida as well as Villanova, Maryland, LSU & UConn interest. Physical, 2-way wing from TX enjoying strong junior season
https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/953058287527911425

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Okoro the next year....

But he is only one guy and is far from a sure thing to come here. As someone else mentioned we almost need to have a big in the system at all times. They won’t all pan out and we always need depth there.

It's all good and fun.

But you've gotta admit. Now isn't the best time to be boasting about your prediction track record. I mean, you called Thamba to Illinois about 7 seconds before he committed to Baylor. :D

True, True...but I did use the disclaimer that he was a Baylor type, so there's that!

Status
Not open for further replies.