Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Smith

I thought he seemed to be interested in playing with our incoming class.

Nothing mentioned about Groce specifically

Illinois is still the favorite for Smith.

Not sure how you can say that with the coach's status in doubt (or not in doubt, but not in a good way), but I'll assume you have good reasons.

Put yourself in Smith shoes, how can he commit to a university when he doesn't know where he would stand with a new coach. I hope he ends up at Illinois, I think he is going to be a tremendous college player and I would hate for us to face him 8-10 times during his college career.

I think the key is keeping Coach Walker regardless. I think he is the best assistant (skill development) and best recruiter.

Put yourself in Smith shoes, how can he commit to a university when he doesn't know where he would stand with a new coach. I hope he ends up at Illinois, I think he is going to be a tremendous college player and I would hate for us to face him 8-10 times during his college career.

I think the key is keeping Coach Walker regardless. I think he is the best assistant (skill development) and best recruiter.

Someone with Smith's skills won't be worried about the *next coach*, I doubt. The next coach will gladly put him in the rotation, especially considering Illinois is losing Hill, Abrams, and Tate. He's gonna need more guards to step in and play immediately.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh

That seems unlikely. I can't imagine it is all that common to keep a member of the previous staff when coming in unless the new coach is forced into it. That would likely leave a bad taste in the new coach's mouth too.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
That seems unlikely. I can't imagine it is all that common to keep a member of the previous staff when coming in unless the new coach is forced into it. That would likely leave a bad taste in the new coach's mouth too.
Not super common, but it does happen. See: McClain, Wayne (RIP)

CAHALL15

Central Illinois

I've thought about this, too, and I'm okay with that one holdover. He secured the Tilmon commitment and is probably the reason why we made Ramsey's final 13. Hopefully, Fletcher would stay, too, but I'm digressing in the recruiting thread.

I'll add to Mark Smith's story with this highlight. I counted 3 maybe 4 dribbles from half court to the rim. How many players can do that? https://twitter.com/mark_smith_13/status/816730975149445128

Someone with Smith's skills won't be worried about the *next coach*, I doubt. The next coach will gladly put him in the rotation, especially considering Illinois is losing Hill, Abrams, and Tate. He's gonna need more guards to step in and play immediately.

agreed

It's not that a new coach would be forced to keep walker, it's that a new coach would want to keep walker in order to secure a potentially great recruiting class for his first season without ever doing any of the work. Whoever comes in next is going to be losing 5 scholarship seniors for sure, and potentially any transfers. You don't want to start at zero in your first recruiting class with just the summer to scab together some freshman bodies to fill out the roster.

It's not that a new coach would be forced to keep walker, it's that a new coach would want to keep walker in order to secure a potentially great recruiting class for his first season without ever doing any of the work. Whoever comes in next is going to be losing 5 scholarship seniors for sure, and potentially any transfers. You don't want to start at zero in your first recruiting class with just the summer to scab together some freshman bodies to fill out the roster.
Depends on a lot of different factors - including and most importantly, the coach. Most coaches already have loyalties to assistants and bring along their own staff. On the other hand, if the person lacks the clout, JW might convince them to keep Walker. Plus there's a lot of other situations in there...

Nor do you want to have to replace all but 2 scholarship players in year 2, as did Groce.

I'll add to Mark Smith's story with this highlight. I counted 3 maybe 4 dribbles from half court to the rim. How many players can do that?

Meh... Giannis can do it in one and dunk with 2 hands :)

[YOUTUBE]LqIypWkwYOY[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.