Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,027      

Deleted member 10676

D
3 more Scruggs CBs to Xavier since yesterday. I'm not going to hold my breath that he makes it to Sept. 2. I know about CBs etc but I still think there is strong chatter going on that Mack is close to landing him. I'm hoping Frazier stays with us and I'll be happy with him.

#2,028      
Question for everyone. Is Scruggs incrementally more talented than Frazier?? I know he is rated much higher by all services; however, everything I read about Frazier is that he is performing off the charts. Trending big time and looks as if he will easily crack the Top 100 when it is all said and done.

I have not seen either play in person and I know you can't put too much stock in highlight videos, but man, I would be soooo happy with Frazier. Commit today and I think I could say thanks but no thanks to Scruggs unless someone tells me otherwise.

Scruggs is bonafide elite right now. He's also a true point guard. Frazier is a teir below elite but brings a ton to the table. I wouldn't say Scruggs' ceiling is incrementally higher than Frazier's. He could be a real gem of a pace n space kinda guard.

#2,029      
How would we get a Top 5 class?????

Even if we get Goodwin- we would only have two players that will be RSCI Top 100. The other three will all be in the 100-150 range.

We get Goodwin AND Scruggs, then that starts to make some sense.
With Goodwin we might be Top 10-12 class.

If the majority of the players' rankings stay pretty much the same and then you factor in a bump of 20-30 spots for T. Frazier in the composite rankings, a class of Tilmon, Goodwin, Da'Monte, Pickett, Frazier, and any of Kiir/John/Uyaelunmo/Epperson should end up around 10th in the country (9-12 range). To get in the top 5, you'd have to sub Scruggs for Frazier and then add a long shot MCDAA like Bowen or Wilkes. Even Scruggs + Culver would probably equal #6 or #7.

We shouldn't care about ranking at this point, this is a very good class to build on for the next 4 years. Add 2 of Goodwin, Frasier, and Scruggs and the best big we can get or another very good wing and if it gets ranked 1, 20, or anywhere in between I will take my chances.

#2,030      

Mike

C-U Townie
Question for everyone. Is Scruggs incrementally more talented than Frazier?? I know he is rated much higher by all services; however, everything I read about Frazier is that he is performing off the charts. Trending big time and looks as if he will easily crack the Top 100 when it is all said and done.

I have not seen either play in person and I know you can't put too much stock in highlight videos, but man, I would be soooo happy with Frazier. Commit today and I think I could say thanks but no thanks to Scruggs unless someone tells me otherwise.

Frazier is projected by the gurus to be a solid if not great point guard, while Scruggs is likely to be a special college player. Frazier is currently gaining on Scruggs though to be fair! He'd be a heck of a consolation prize.

Last edited:
#2,031      
Would be a huge step forward I agree, but considering the how talent rich the midwest is this year it's a make or break class for us IMO. Not so much for more highly regarded programs, but for us right now we need to take advantage of the current glut of talent density.

Yep. Not often that we have this many rides and there is this much talent.
And it is make or break class for Groce without question.
Getting Tilmon changed the narrative a little bit for Illinois. We are now in serious play for Goodwin. And then with some modest success we may be considered for other Top tier players the next couple years and get some sustainable recruiting going that keeps us competitive.

Need to finish this class strong.

#2,032      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Thought Scruggs might take his OV prior to Frazier's. Not happening, so pretty much guaranteed that the staff will be pressing to close on Frazier during his OV.

#2,033      
We shouldn't care about ranking at this point, this is a very good class to build on for the next 4 years. Add 2 of Goodwin, Frasier, and Scruggs and the best big we can get or another very good wing and if it gets ranked 1, 20, or anywhere in between I will take my chances.

Yup, agreed. I was just pointing out how hard it is to crack the top 5. With no straight-to-NBA players and more kids embracing the super team philosophy, programs like UK, Duke, and KU have a huge advantage. Despite that, if we land the class we're realistically pulling for I'll be over the moon.

#2,034      

Mike

C-U Townie
Yep. Not often that we have this many rides and there is this much talent.
And it is make or break class for Groce without question.
Getting Tilmon changed the narrative a little bit for Illinois. We are now in serious play for Goodwin. And then with some modest success we may be considered for other Top tier players the next couple years and get some sustainable recruiting going that keeps us competitive.

Need to finish this class strong.

I agree with your agreement. ;)

#2,035      

Mike

C-U Townie
Yup, agreed. I was just pointing out how hard it is to crack the top 5. With no straight-to-NBA players and more kids embracing the super team philosophy, programs like UK, Duke, and KU have a huge advantage. Despite that, if we land the class we're realistically pulling for I'll be over the moon.

Shoot for "over the moon" then be happy when you fall short and just hit it! :chief:

#2,036      

CAHALL15

Central Illinois

Scruggs' potential is higher than Frazier's due to his size. As far as their games go, someone on here said Scruggs was like Da'Monte Williams except that he had a consistent motor and in my opinion, that's pretty accurate. Scruggs, at this point, is not a very good shooter, but he seems to have long arms, rebounds well for his position, and can find the open man.

On the other hand, Frazier is definitely a solid shooter and I would say is quicker of the two. As others said, Frazier is shorter and thinner, but a lot of high school seniors are and we've seen what Fletcher can do for players' bodies. I'm not going to be sad if landing Frazier means we are out of the running for Scruggs.

#2,037      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
If Kiir or Epperson want in, total no-brainer. If John wants in, going to be hard to pass. 2018 will take care of itself.

Joel, I know you're on the Kiir train with me, but have you seen any more updated highlights or "expert" opinions on him, including star ratings, to show others agree that he looks like more than a 3-star or low 4-star player?

#2,038      

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
Scruggs will never step foot on the campus of UI. The likelihood of him not committing on the four previous stops combined with it being after Frazier's OV put the odds very low that he makes that official visit.

#2,039      
Scruggs will never step foot on the campus of UI. The likelihood of him not committing on the four previous stops combined with it being after Frazier's OV put the odds very low that he makes that official visit.

Maybe not, but we'll be his only visit when 1) Students are on campus and campustown is thriving and 2) the first football game and the beginning of the Lovie Era.

#2,040      

Mike

C-U Townie
Scruggs' potential is higher than Frazier's due to his size. As far as their games go, someone on here said Scruggs was like Da'Monte Williams except that he had a consistent motor and in my opinion, that's pretty accurate. Scruggs, at this point, is not a very good shooter, but he seems to have long arms, rebounds well for his position, and can find the open man.

On the other hand, Frazier is definitely a solid shooter and I would say is quicker of the two. As others said, Frazier is shorter and thinner, but a lot of high school seniors are and we've seen what Fletcher can do for players' bodies. I'm not going to be sad if landing Frazier means we are out of the running for Scruggs.

And no way Groce slow plays Frazier.

#2,041      

89illinigrad

Chicago

With everything pointing towards Xavier, I wouldn't be surprised if Scruggs commits on his August 5-7 visit to Xavier. Combine that with Frazier visiting us the Weekend of August 21st and that makes the chances of a Sept 2nd visit even less likely.

Now, if by some (slim) chance he makes it to our school, would Groce take him over Goodwin, even if we already have a Frazier commitment?

#2,043      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Joel, I know you're on the Kiir train with me, but have you seen any more updated highlights or "expert" opinions on him, including star ratings, to show others agree that he looks like more than a 3-star or low 4-star player?

Not really. Just impressed by his few clips, has great measurables and high ceiling. That he's only been in the US for a short while, his progression figures to be faster than most. Sure, it can blow up in our face, but the kid has a VG potential, IMO. Not a finished product, by any means. Still, imagine what he'll be like with Fletch after 1 and 2 years. He's 220-225 now, so not a Mike Davis stringbean. He doesn't have to be an offensive machine. His rebounding and shot blocking are VG.

Last edited:
#2,044      
With everything pointing towards Xavier, I wouldn't be surprised if Scruggs commits on his August 5-7 visit to Xavier. Combine that with Frazier visiting us the Weekend of August 21st and that makes the chances of a Sept 2nd visit even less likely.

Now, if by some (slim) chance he makes it to our school, would Groce take him over Goodwin, even if we already have a Frazier commitment?

Don't we have enough scholarship spots to take all 3 of them? (assuming we don't take any of the bigs we are also going after in this scenario)

#2,045      
Don't we have enough scholarship spots to take all 3 of them? (assuming we don't take any of the bigs we are also going after in this scenario)

Technically we do, but if we get Frazier and Goodwin, the best use of the last schollie is for another PF/C type. I think it's Frazier or Scruggs, Goodwin, and one of the PF/Cs we're after. Check off those 3 items and the class will have filled our needs marvelously.

#2,046      
Scruggs is bonafide elite right now. He's also a true point guard. Frazier is a teir below elite but brings a ton to the table. I wouldn't say Scruggs' ceiling is incrementally higher than Frazier's. He could be a real gem of a pace n space kinda guard.

Scruggs isn't a true PG. He's a combo guard who's being sold on playing PG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,047      

Mike

C-U Townie
Scruggs isn't a true PG. He's a combo guard who's being sold on playing PG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can he be rated as high as he is as a point guard with supposedly only a decent shot then?

#2,048      

You gave a good guess/estimate on what the OP wanted to know, my response was more to him because I think aiming for top 5 class isn't what we really needed this year, sure after you lock down Goodwin, with JT already on board you take that level if it falls in your lap...but top 5 classes are overrated because they tend to be gone the next year...to me Tilmon, Goodwin & the like were what we really needed to land over stealing someone from a blueblood that is gone after one year. In 5 + years when these guys graduate I hope we look back in hindsight & say we wouldn't have traded anyone from this class to push the rating up higher.

#2,049      
How can he be rated as high as he is as a point guard with supposedly only a decent shot then?

6'4, 200, strong frame, good to very good athleticism, high motor, high IQ, good attitude, gets to the rack at will, excellent defensive potential. Average to below average shooter, average ball handler for a PG (VG for a wing), still learning to play PG. Plenty of evaluators think he's still better playing the 2. If he proves he can play PG at the P5 level he has the look of an NBA draft pick. If not, he's an undersized 2G with a suspect jumper - like a poor man's Dion Waiters with (presumably) better shot selection.

Edit: No matter what--whether he proves to be a PG or ends up as an attacking wing--with his size, strength, speed, and competitiveness, he'll be a really good college player.

Status
Not open for further replies.