Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#4,301      

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Surprised/excited to see him at #58 in the updated Scout rankings. He'd be a huge get, even though he's got a Tisdale build currently. Hopefully the La Lu connection pays off.

We have a good relationship with the staff at LaLu so I think there is reason to be cautiously optimistic.

#4,302      
It's already confirmed that Luther Powell, Jr is paying Trent Frazier's way when Wilkes, Scruggs, and Epperson commit, right?!

#4,303      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Surprised/excited to see him at #58 in the updated Scout rankings. He'd be a huge get, even though he's got a Tisdale build currently. Hopefully the La Lu connection pays off.

He's a stringbean, to be sure, but not as skinny as Tisdale was. But to your point, I'm pretty certain we're recruiting him hard. Very high upside.

#4,306      

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
I don't think Adam Fletcher permits string bean physiques. :D

One of the trainers at the gym in my building did her internship at Illinois under Fletch. Her workouts are brutal.

#4,309      
One of the trainers at the gym in my building did her internship at Illinois under Fletch. Her workouts are brutal.

I want to see your yearly gains like Fletch posted out on Twitter. How much has your bench improved under her via the Fletch workout plan. :D

#4,310      

Mike

C-U Townie
And Scruggs is supposedly coming the weekend of Sept. 2. Don't know if that is still on...

Imagine how much would we would all melt down to get both Scruggs & Wilkes?
:D

#4,314      
Imagine how much would we would all melt down to get both Scruggs & Wilkes?
:D

tumblr_n7lc2oBRPw1svecmko1_500.gif

#4,316      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The rankings-are-everything set should have a field day with Epperson's lofty new ranking (on Scout?). Am entirely unconvinced that he's a better prospect than Kiir, but something to chew on. Kiir or Epperson would be a great addition to the class.

#4,317      

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
Just saw that. Good to be first. Also interesting that he only scheduled three OVs and may not even visit UConn. We may actually be in this.

He scheduled in homes with UCLA and Xavier. UCLA has an official visit set and that article made it seem likely that Xavier would get an official as well. If two schools end up with an official + an in home, you'd think they would be the leaders. We're in it, but I'm not sure where we fall in the pecking order.

#4,321      

Smacko

Lexington, KY
The rankings-are-everything set should have a field day with Epperson's lofty new ranking (on Scout?). Am entirely unconvinced that he's a better prospect than Kiir, but something to chew on. Kiir or Epperson would be a great addition to the class.

If you look at the different rankings sites, the amount of variation on how some players are evaluated is massive. A kid will be in the 70s on one site and at 150 on another. Just goes to show that outside of that top tier of kids, a lot of the ranking depends on who saw a kid play, when they saw them play, how many times they watched them and who the kid was playing against. The sample size for Epperson seems pretty small at this point, so its hard to put a lot of stock in these evaluations.

#4,323      

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
+infinity

Well put.

And to build on that, it seems as though if we get a kid who's in the 120's many feel as though we've 'lost' a scholarship recruiting battle than if we get a kid in the 80's. All that matters is the wins on the court. If we have Bad News Bears players and we win 28 games and make the 3rd round of the tourney, the rest of it is all noise. Obviously that's an extreme, but polls and rankings are just noise. Harmonious and fun, but noise all the same. Wins and tourneys; that's the only numbers that matter.

#4,324      
If you look at the different rankings sites, the amount of variation on how some players are evaluated is massive. A kid will be in the 70s on one site and at 150 on another. Just goes to show that outside of that top tier of kids, a lot of the ranking depends on who saw a kid play, when they saw them play, how many times they watched them and who the kid was playing against. The sample size for Epperson seems pretty small at this point, so its hard to put a lot of stock in these evaluations.

Exactly.....just remember you saw pictures of orange shirts at how many AAU gmes. These services try to cover so many kids, they often only get seen once or twice in person. But the rankings do seem to generate thousands of posts in the boards.

Groce & Co have demonstrated a good eye...we just were #2 with a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.