Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,301      

Deleted member 654622

D
I think the biggest question right now is how awesome OA is as a big man coach. Can he take projects and significantly and consistently develop them? Ebo, Kane, Giorgi- looks like we’ll have a bunch of big men projects. Unless we start getting some established bigs to commit (seems unlikely and even so, highly rated bigs are often projects), OA will likely be the X factor

All I will say is Black took a big jump forward in his scoring ability and I will give some of that credit to OA as a coach. What Spicy G shows us next time on the court should also be a good indication of his ability.

#2,303      

NEIlliniFan

No longer in New England
I would hope the head coach knows more than message board posters too. Looking at many posts' content on this thread, and the Finke/Lucas thread, that doesn't seem to be the case.

#2,304      
I would hope the head coach knows more than message board posters too. Looking at many posts' content on this thread, and the Finke/Lucas thread, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I once heard a coach say "We can count".

#2,305      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Caroline is wishful thinking until someone or something indicates he even wants to transfer. I mean why don't we just start naming any graduate transfer player on any roster. People are talking on here like we got a decent chance. Kid hasn't even declared to transfer. Just made the Sweet 16. Why exactly does everyone think he's a decent chance for a transfer to a team that didn't even sniff the NIT?

#2,307      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Caroline is wishful thinking until someone or something indicates he even wants to transfer. I mean why don't we just start naming any graduate transfer player on any roster. People are talking on here like we got a decent chance. Kid hasn't even declared to transfer. Just made the Sweet 16. Why exactly does everyone think he's a decent chance for a transfer to a team that didn't even sniff the NIT?

Because not every possible grad transfer has ties to UI and has stated it was his dream school.

#2,308      

DB11Headband

Chicago Burbs

This +10000000000. Caroline isn't happening.

#2,310      

jrod1286

Pat Chambers
Illinois
Everyone on this thread seems to forget how good Damonte could be if he works on his shooting all summer. I believe there will be a great improvement next year. I any of the blogs provide positive defensive minutes look ou for the ILLIINI.
I think Frazier and Williams both returning next year should be something to be positive about.

#2,311      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Don't quote me but I really think Damonte could have a "Mike Davis-esque" freshman to sophomore leap. He showed some great instincts and play while admittedly making some freshman mistakes.

I think DaMonte will have a good leap this summer. I agree, he does need to knock off those freshmen mistakes. He had a couple of real doozies this past season in close games. Something I didn't expect to come from him, even as a freshman.

But he'll learn from them, and be a good piece of the puzzle next year.

#2,312      
I think Frazier and Williams both returning next year should be something to be positive about.

You have Ayo, Frazier, and DW to share responsibilities at 1-2, so that is very positive. Ideally, you need one more (e.g., Feliz) to add depth and safeguard on injuries.

At SF, Kipper will be good IMO, but we lack depth at B1G level. You need at least one of Jones/Hinson.

Now, PF and C are shallow. Ebo, Kane, and Giorgi, really shallow with Black leaving at B1G level so you hope for surprises. By necessity, you will need to play some SFs at PF (I am not a fan), assuming of course that you add some quality players to just having Kipper.

The bar for this team will be at just making the tournament, but we will not be picked to do so in any pre-season projections. Realistically, no unbiased analyst will project the Illini in the tournament, so we have to overachieve.

Yet, the most critical element is Fall recruiting IMO. We need players at the level of Liddell, Okoro, etc. If we do, even not making the tournament next year will carry BU. But if we do not make the tournament and don't have a really good recruiting class (not one that predicated on hope, diamonds in the rough, or players overachieving their rankings), then BU (and the program) could be in a lot of trouble.

#2,315      

sacraig

The desert
Yep. Not this one. I don't allow the past to dictate my view of the present or future.

Can't let pesky things like facts and history get in the way of a nice, blind conjecture, after all.

#2,316      
I don't know what there is to be doom and gloom about. I feel more positive today than I did last week.

A losing team that loses key players in the rotation would do that, but we wouldn't have been projected to do well if everyone returned. I'd rather have guys that fit his system and have a high ceiling but maybe a lower floor, than try to make the best of what we can with players that just aren't cutting it. Finke wasn't doing anything for me and left me incredibly disappointed on defense, and Lucas was a solid backup pg at best. All in all, I'm more optimistic with where we're at today then I was at the end of the season.

#2,317      
A losing team that loses key players in the rotation would do that, but we wouldn't have been projected to do well if everyone returned. I'd rather have guys that fit his system and have a high ceiling but maybe a lower floor, than try to make the best of what we can with players that just aren't cutting it. Finke wasn't doing anything for me and left me incredibly disappointed on defense, and Lucas was a solid backup pg at best. All in all, I'm more optimistic with where we're at today then I was at the end of the season.

Excellent post and I 100% agree with everything you said.

#2,318      
Excellent post and I 100% agree with everything you said.

I agree, have lot more positive feelings going forward, God gave Finke slow feet and it was painful watching him defend. Lucas was not going to get us to the promise land, he couldn't shoot, made way to many soft turnovers, and couldn't make a free throw to save his life at the end of game. Only way to get better is to move forward with new players.

#2,319      
All in all, I'm more optimistic with where we're at today then I was at the end of the season.

That's both kinda crazy, and a bit of fun with selected endpoints, given that optimism was rightly in the toilet at the end of the season.

We're almost exactly a year into the Brad Underwood era. If you traveled back in time to the thread celebrating his hiring and explained where we are one year in, you would have been laughed out of the place for being negative beyond the realm of plausibility.

It is the nature of message boards to constantly exist in a cycle of placing all negative information on the shoulders of the momentary chosen villain (Groce, Thomas) while spinning everything positively for the momentary chosen hero (Underwood). But you take a step back from that and it's plain as day what a disastrous year 1 it has been on and off the floor, beyond and below any reasonable expectation.

Not taking any sides, not jumping onto any hobby horses, just the truth. Being clear-eyed is its own reward. Now we gotta go get better.

#2,320      
That's both kinda crazy, and a bit of fun with selected endpoints, given that optimism was rightly in the toilet at the end of the season.

We're almost exactly a year into the Brad Underwood era. If you traveled back in time to the thread celebrating his hiring and explained where we are one year in, you would have been laughed out of the place for being negative beyond the realm of plausibility.

It is the nature of message boards to constantly exist in a cycle of placing all negative information on the shoulders of the momentary chosen villain (Groce, Thomas) while spinning everything positively for the momentary chosen hero (Underwood). But you take a step back from that and it's plain as day what a disastrous year 1 it has been on and off the floor, beyond and below any reasonable expectation.

Not taking any sides, not jumping onto any hobby horses, just the truth. Being clear-eyed is its own reward. Now we gotta go get better.

I think you're speaking a lot of truth but a lot of reasonable people saw this team would be bottom of the B1G and not sniff the tourney after we lost to Eastern. I'm not sure the burden of blame all falls on BU. A lot of first year coaches struggle as they try to implement a system, gauge how players handle different things, which players they want to keep/let go. An example that comes to mind is Sean Miller's first year at AZ.

#2,321      

+ 1000

#2,322      
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: New regime is trying to build a program that not just makes the tourney, but has a unified identity and style of play.

I'll settle for a winning style. Otherwise it sounds like an excuse for losing but doing it well.

#2,323      
Don't quote me but I really think Damonte could have a "Mike Davis-esque" freshman to sophomore leap. He showed some great instincts and play while admittedly making some freshman mistakes.

I agree. I was very impressed with DMW and have high hopes for the future.

#2,324      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Going to be interesting if Mack starts recruiting Tevian Jones to Louisville now. They have open spots and there aren't all that many wings left on the board.

#2,325      
I think you're speaking a lot of truth but a lot of reasonable people saw this team would be bottom of the B1G and not sniff the tourney after we lost to Eastern. I'm not sure the burden of blame all falls on BU. A lot of first year coaches struggle as they try to implement a system, gauge how players handle different things, which players they want to keep/let go. An example that comes to mind is Sean Miller's first year at AZ.

Good example, another would be Coach K at Duke. First year okay, second year he was 10-17, third year 11-17. It wasn't until his fourth year that Duke was ranked. Not saying BU is Coach K, but give him a chance.

As far as those concerned with BU's demeanor. He didn't develop that overnight or just at Illinois. JW knew what he was like when he hired him. As a long long time fan of the Illini, I personally like that BU is trying to give us an identify. Let's give him a chance to see that develops in a couple of years. As the saying goes, sometimes you have to shoot a few to get the herd moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.