Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facts:
1. Landers is making his second to last cut tomorrow at 8a (assuming EST).
2. Landers is finishing up his OV tomorrow at UGA. It could be finished tonight,
but I am assuming that he will be there in the morning.

3. No one has predicted UGA as a player for Landers, making it a two-horse
race between Illinois and VT.
4. Landers has known for at least two weeks where he is committing.
5. He has changed his bracket around a bit since the first incarnation.
6. Oh, and it has been reported that he is filming his announcement today.

I don't mean to single you out, but I keep seeing this OV timeline on the thread and I'm 99% sure it's wrong. I've seen several tweets that say his visit starts Friday and goes into Saturday. Can anyone clarify?

Edit: Found one that's apparently straight from the source himself https://twitter.com/StevoR33/status/915286477218643969

Stephen Rodgers‏ @StevoR33
2018 4 Star Wing Landers Nolley (@thatbooych3z) will be on an official visit to Georgia on Friday and Saturday morning, he tells me

Last edited:

Dvick217

San Diego
Only thing that makes sense is that tomorrow he cuts his list to three. VT ILL Georgia

Ilieyeni

Elkhart Indiana
Perhaps so far his choice has been Illinois and since choosing us he has given others the opportunity to dissuade him. They (VT), or others haven't changed his mind. So now it's us or Georgia with us being his favorite going into his last OV and he doesn't expect his choice to change. I don't expect his choice to change either.

Some recruits can see Underwoods vision when explained to them or they see video past teams of his and want to be a part of his style of basketball. Some may have reservations that they can excel in his style and seek something more like what they are used to. No one can please everyone and you can't hold it against those that don't feel they can come and compete at the level expected.

No one can please everyone and you can't hold it against those that don't feel they can come and compete at the level expected.

If I just had a dime for every big time recruit who turned us down because he was afraid of competition or did not feel he could could come and compete at the level expected, according to this board...

Also, has there be an OV to Georgia State? The only way that it gets cut to three tomorrow is if he eliminates Georgia State, moves VA Tech to the finals, and puts us and UGA head to head. This is not consistent with the message that he is announcing his "Championship Round" tomorrow at 8a.

What are your thoughts? The thoughts of the poster who thought that only Georgia State would be the only team eliminated?

Georgia State hasn't gotten an OV; Nolley has taken trips to Illinois, N.C. State, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, and Georgia in that order.

This timeline is one of the most confusing things I've seen in my 5+ years of following recruiting closely. Ignoring the fact that he's already recorded a decision, I don't think there's any possible way he eliminates Georgia while in Athens. My gut says he'll just stick with this lame bracket and eliminate Virginia Tech, leaving Illinois as the other finalist.

Deleted member 631370

D
If I just had a dime for every big time recruit who turned us down because he was afraid of competition or did not feel he could could come and compete at the level expected, according to this board...

Yeah.....clearly, the logjam issue doesn't affect the bluebloods or Michigan State or Arizona or Florida or Villanova or......

Fact is, talented kids want to play with other talented kids. Some do indeed want to be "the man" from day 1 and stay away from schools that are loaded at their position. But that doesn't seem to be the case in most recruitments.

I think we're more loaded at PG/combo guard than we've been in ages. But Nolley can play the 3 very comfortably, and he's really only competing with Kipper for playing time. A top-50ish kid like Nolley isn't going to be afraid of Kipper Nichols -- no offense to Kipper.

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
I've thought since mid-summer we've had the best chance with Nolley, as opposed to any of the other 4-5 most likely candidates (Conditt, Castleton, Finke, THT, Ayo). With 30 minutes to go prior to 8am, here's my new "confidence meter".

1. THT
2. Nolley
3. Ayo (can't imagine him choosing Illinois this November if we have no other recruits)

As for this morning's announcement, I'll remain a pessimist, thus keeping our two major sports near the cellar in the Big 10. Reading the tea leaves, guessing he'll have VT and UGA as his finalists.

Really hope I'm wrong this morning. Love Nolley's game! Appears to be a smooth-looking offensive machine.

Go Illini!!

Deleted member 631370

D
We’re out

Not a surprise.

Man, this has been about as poor a recruiting week as I can remember in awhile.

I think our chances with Ayo will drop precipitously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Board freak out and this staff is overpaid discussion starts in 3.....2.....1....

Personally I'm good. Looking forward to the season and years to come

What if we lose Ayo to Xavier?
What if we lose Conditt to ISU?
What if we lose Nolley to VaTech?
What if we lose CC to UM?
What if we lose THT to the other 6 or anyone of his Crystal Ball predictions :D.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but it is entirely feasible.

Bump

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Board freak out and this staff is overpaid discussion starts in 3.....2.....1....

Personally I'm good. Looking forward to the season and years to come

:thumb:

Pretty sad. I'm getting to the point it really doesn't matter anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.