Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8632

D
Dow futures are down. It's raining. I stubbed my toe on the coffee table this morning. Landers eliminates us from his bracket. I knew I should have stayed in a freaking Holiday Inn Express last night.

We're a bottom-tier Big Ten program until we prove on the court that we're not. The Illinois name is worth exactly nothing right now - we haven't been relevant since this recruiting class was in preschool.

I'm not expecting much recruiting-wise until we show something interesting in games. I expect that we will with Underwood's style, but until that shows up, we're still just the terrible program of the last 11 years.

cMWalaa.gif

SuperMetroid

Evanston
To state the obvious, Ayo would be a huge domino to fall. To get him to come would certainly put this staff on the map and attract others in this class and in future classes for sure. He's almost become a "must get" if we're going to build on the excitement of a new staff, new facilities, etc.

The Illini version of having our recruiting dominoes all lined up:

giphy.gif

What are the composite rankings of the kids that went elsewhere? I'm curious
I.e.
Conduitt
CC
Nolley

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Think about it. All LN did was save us all from another 24 hours of pointless enthusiasm. It's been VT for over 2 weeks. Now he's trolling UGA instead of us.

I'm over it.

None of this will matter so long as BU can produce results on the court with what he has now. I think he has a reasonably good chance to do so. Not going to worry if this class doesn't turn out to be the best. :illinois:

Just as excited as the day BU was hired. He is a great coach and motivator. May take a few years but becoming a team nobody wants to play will pay off in recruiting wins.

I'm not gonna freak out over one recruiting class that isn't even over with yet, but man, this stinks.

However, I am still as super excited about Underwood as I have always been. Sometimes you just get unlucky. I'm still expecting us to start winning more, and when we do, the players will come.

All things considered I’m impressed BU and the team thus far. Yes we are missing out on some high profile guys, but we also have a guy who is a proven coach. I’ll take that every day over the guy who just recruits. My guess is these guys are recruiting other players we know nothing about. Maybe they aren’t high profile players, but they’ll be guys the staff knows they can win with. Still a lot of time left in 2018 recruiting cycle.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Good on you for the optimism in spite of the fact Underwood has only coached high-major ball for one year. I'm not saying he'll be a bust, but it's funny to hear it proclaimed he's the savior of the program when there's no evidence of this yet. And recruiting is not going well. At all.

Surely, you're capable of arguing your point without making up positions and assigning them to other people?

This sucks. I have a feeling if we hadn't landed Mark Smith, this board would be in complete meltdown mode in response to our current misses. I do think this year will be a successful year for our current team and that we can use that success and the system to get great recruits in the future. But to same I'm concerned about this current recruiting class is an understatement. Nolley was definitely a priority. Not even making his final 2 is almost as bad as being a bridesmaid.

Who was it from Chicago said Nolley wasn't leaving the south and everyone here chastised them for that statement. How stupid are they now? :tsk:
Michael O'Brien from the Chicago Sun Times reported that. Nolley denied it saying he doesn't talk to anyone at Curie. Stunning turn of events. No one is perfect and I don't think O'Brien would be considered a "recruiting analyst" but he is at games all over the city and around the schools on a regular basis.

I think the both responses are valid responses. It is difficult to put a class together when you haven't coached a game. It's even tougher when a couple of your main targets are out of state kids with no previous ties to the University. So, it's completely reasonable to hold off on hitting the panic button.

On the other hand, IF they were to miss on Ayo, the 2018 recruiting season is a failure. When it's a feasible possibility that Iowa State can come in a swipe three of your top targets.....that is not a good sign. When you've been eliminated by Georgia and VT, not a good sign. These aren't blue bloods that are taking these guys. The alarm should definitely be sounding, but again....still a month before signing day.

The only card that they have right now is the, haven't seen them play card. I'm leaning more in that direction because it's the fair thing to do . If they come up with zero to one commitment, and that commitment being a third or fourth option guy... Not good.

Also, yes, they landed Smith. The question has to be asked, if he blew up as a sophomore and he had two full recruiting cycles to go through.....does that turn out well? He's also a downstate kid and if you can't tie him up with the PT available.....then I'd have hit the panic button.

We'll see. The staff hasn't proven a thing yet. Hopefully things change and change soon

Don't know that Zion was really a top target. Staff wanted Conditt' but isu connections were too strong.

Not pulling the afraid of competition with Conditt, but maybe he also felt he wasn't a Big Ten type big?

Why is it other coaches like Holtmann can land a solid class without recruits having seen OSU play? Same with Miller and IU? It's not like Underwood was an assistant with no video to show recruits. He has plenty to show from days at SFA and ok st, not to mention days with Martin.

I am not going to jump off the ledge, but this really is getting disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.