Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,203      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I know Tyler Underwood is not on scholarship, which is why I wrote "So for example, if Tyler Underwood was on scholarship". I'm not asking these question as they pertain to Illinois this year (or any year) but in general. I'm also not asking about giving a free ride to a current walk-on. I'm asking if someone is already on scholarship, can they choose to pay their own way and give up the scholarship to open it up for a new recruit. So back when Doug McDermott was playing at Creighton and assuming he was on scholarship, could he have not used a scholarship his senior year to allow his dad to recruit fill that scholarship spot with a recruit? And if so, what would the timing have to be on giving up that scholarship so that signing someone into it during the recruiting process wouldn't be considered over signing? Hopefully that is a little clearer.

Scholarships can be given up. I remember a kid at Duke doing it a few years ago. Regarding the timing, I would guess that it would just have to be before someone else needs it.

#3,206      
I have seen Adam Miller play and really like him, I'd take him over higher ranked guards right now, but IMO he is likely to move way up in the rankings.

If the product of play, especially guard play is good we should be in a good position. Blue bloods or not. A lot can also change in 2-3 years, many of the blue blood coaches aren't getting any younger (Cal, K, Deputy Dog, Izzo).

#3,207      
Bad news... Ayo changed his picture to black, one of WF's main colors :mad:

#socialmediainterpreter

#3,208      
They're going to offer him too at Ayo's presser tonight?

Dang, Wake is going to offer Adam Miller?

First cake I saw was a Wake Forest cake that said "Happy Birthday Adam." I didn't connect the dots to Adam Miller.

Seriously, I have also seen Adam several times in Peoria and he's the real thing. Let's hope he's on the Illini train as a dual Manual/Morgan Park pipeline guy!

#3,210      
I know Tyler Underwood is not on scholarship, which is why I wrote "So for example, if Tyler Underwood was on scholarship". I'm not asking these question as they pertain to Illinois this year (or any year) but in general. I'm also not asking about giving a free ride to a current walk-on. I'm asking if someone is already on scholarship, can they choose to pay their own way and give up the scholarship to open it up for a new recruit. So back when Doug McDermott was playing at Creighton and assuming he was on scholarship, could he have not used a scholarship his senior year to allow his dad to recruit fill that scholarship spot with a recruit? And if so, what would the timing have to be on giving up that scholarship so that signing someone into it during the recruiting process wouldn't be considered over signing? Hopefully that is a little clearer.
I got you. I am not sure about the timing, but I am sure that if a player wants to give up his scholarship and pay his own dime, the coaching staff would be all for it. In that example its like have 14 bonafide scholarship players when you only have 13 spots. You would get 14 scholarship players without having to go through that oversign by one, figure it out later situation.

#3,211      
:D LOL Google Wake Forest demon deacon cake and see what image comes up first!

:eek: :illinois::hailtotheorange:

Or....or....now this may sound crazy....the person who took that picture came from the future....because you see the powers that be that you know.... run everything....the government....the NCAA....Facebook...took that picture in the future and put it on one of the first Google pics under WF deamon cake so we would think that didn't happen today and that it wasn't a warning for us but yet it..... was. I'm on to them. The truth will be revealed!!!

15-UNDERRATED-XFILES-EPISODES.jpg

#3,215      

Deleted member 10676

D
To get everyone in the mood, MOB is running down some announcement day memories (btw, the entire Dosunmu family, including Leftfielder - Dale Moss, grandfather -- has gone to the black avatar. Mike calls it recruitment performance art).

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien

#3,216      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Landing Trent Frazier, Mark Smith, and Ayo in two years would be quite the reversal from where we were before that with regards to lead guards.

#3,218      
...but I think that Tyler's parents can afford tuition for him.

Quite often faculty brats get discount or free tuition at their parent's school. Don't know if that's the case with Illinois. But that's a plum the school can throw faculty in contract negotiations that really doesn't cost the school all that much, while sweetening the deal for faculty whom it benefits.

But I don't know about Illinois, but it would lessen the costs for the Underwoods w/o taking a scholarship from the bb program.

#3,219      

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Landing Trent Frazier, Mark Smith, and Ayo in two years would be quite the reversal from where we were before that with regards to lead guards.

It's crazy to imagine becoming a new destination for skilled PGs. But sign me up for that. :thumb:

#3,220      
Nothing is for certain......

but if he is going to Wake Forest Ayo is really screwing with a lot of people. Don't think he would do this to Chin if his father and the Irvin's are really as tight with Chin as they say.

If it was Wake......the Illinois side would know and it would be out.

#3,221      

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
time is dragging by....feeling pretty confident , but the recent memories keep haunting me...

It's time for good news for the beloved Illini...Make it happen Ayo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3,223      

kcib8130

Parts Unknown
Quite often faculty brats get discount or free tuition at their parent's school. Don't know if that's the case with Illinois. But that's a plum the school can throw faculty in contract negotiations that really doesn't cost the school all that much, while sweetening the deal for faculty whom it benefits.

But I don't know about Illinois, but it would lessen the costs for the Underwoods w/o taking a scholarship from the bb program.

In my experience, anyone working at a state school gets discounted tuition at any in-state public university. to the tune of 50%.

#3,224      

Sal Iacuzzo

Yonkers, NY
but if he is going to Wake Forest Ayo is really screwing with a lot of people. Don't think he would do this to Chin if his father and the Irvin's are really as tight with Chin as they say.

If it was Wake......the Illinois side would know and it would be out.

I don't think he would be screwing anybody. He has to make the best decision for himself, if he thinks it is Wake so be it, but I hope he picks Illinois.

#3,225      

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
I don't think he would be screwing anybody. He has to make the best decision for himself, if he thinks it is Wake so be it, but I hope he picks Illinois.

If it's true that he had the coaches set it up and he said one thing over another then yes, he would be screwing them over. At this age you should hold yourself to a higher standard and if you ACTUALLY shook your hand on one thing and then turn your back at the last second it shows character. That being said, I have not seen anything from this young man to show he would do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.