Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,751      
They would not take a 5th person, unless it was a big name. THT, BPJ just to name a couple. Would really have to be a big fish, lot of good players in '19 that we would love to get.

Sorry for asking: Who is " BPJ " ? There is no one on the scholarship grid listed under 2018 that has those initials.

#1,754      

Deleted member 10676

D
This will make the weekend interesting. Can't remember when Locke plans to announce.

UIHoopsRecruits‏ @UIHoopsRecruits 13h13 hours ago
UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted Jake Weingarten
Michigan with only 1 scholarship left

Jake Weingarten‏
@jakeweingarten
More news: I’ll be announcing 2018 Adrien Nunez commitment next week. He’s visiting UM this weekend.

#1,755      

Deleted member 10676

D
Jake Weingarten‏ @jakeweingarten 10h10 hours ago

2018 F Colin Castleton landed in Ann Arbor tonight. Is very excited for beginning of OV to UM which starts tomorrow.

#1,759      
This will make the weekend interesting. Can't remember when Locke plans to announce.

UIHoopsRecruits‏ @UIHoopsRecruits 13h13 hours ago
UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted Jake Weingarten
Michigan with only 1 scholarship left

Jake Weingarten‏
@jakeweingarten
More news: I’ll be announcing 2018 Adrien Nunez commitment next week. He’s visiting UM this weekend.

VC shows UM full.

#1,760      
Assuming Brad Underwood has been influenced to some degree by his mentor Frank Martin, Illinois will oversign.

Frank Martin creans players more than any coach in history and graduates almost nobody. He did it a LOT at K-State with Underwood. He still does it.

This is just a partial list of those who have left his South Carolina program in the past 3.5 years:

Reggie Theus Jr.
Shamiek Sheppard
Demtetrius Henry
Jaylen Shaw
Desmond Ringer
Damien Leonard
R.J. Slawson
Eric Smith
Brian Richardson
Carlton Geathers
Raymond Doby
Eric Cobb
Jamall Gregory
Travon Bunch
James Thompson
Marcus Stroman
Temarcus Blanton
Ran Tut
Sedee Keita

It would be interesting to see Huggy's record. Probably a similar scenario.

#1,761      
Yeah. I'm not suggesting Underwood is going to do this.
(And I'm guessing UofI and Whitman would curtail it to some degree if he tried.)

But there's no escaping he comes from the Huggy and Martin coaching tree and fans better brace themselves for some aggressive 'roster management' in comparison to prior regimes.

If fans haven't figured out that in this epoch there is regular attrition at all programs, they haven't been watching. Some teams have a bit more or less, but every program has regular attrition (with some degree of active roster management involved).

Every year we speculate exactly how many openings we will have, and it's virtually always more than we envision.

#1,762      
Assuming Brad Underwood has been influenced to some degree by his mentor Frank Martin, Illinois will oversign.

Frank Martin creans players more than any coach in history and graduates almost nobody. He did it a LOT at K-State with Underwood. He still does it.

This is just a partial list of those who have left his South Carolina program in the past 3.5 years:

Reggie Theus Jr.
Shamiek Sheppard
Demtetrius Henry
Jaylen Shaw
Desmond Ringer
Damien Leonard
R.J. Slawson
Eric Smith
Brian Richardson
Carlton Geathers
Raymond Doby
Eric Cobb
Jamall Gregory
Travon Bunch
James Thompson
Marcus Stroman
Temarcus Blanton
Ran Tut
Sedee Keita

Man. He means business. He also had a complete culture change to initiate so not entirely shocking. Topped off by the final four I'm gonna suggest it worked and he knows what he's doing.

#1,764      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
VC shows UM full.

Full, Wagner probably leaves, which gives them 1. Insiders think they lead for CC, Locke, and Nunez...all visiting this week, but will only take 1.

Based on roster, I would guess Locke is their priority, but who knows.

#1,765      
Full, Wagner probably leaves, which gives them 1. Insiders think they lead for CC, Locke, and Nunez...all visiting this week, but will only take 1.

Based on roster, I would guess Locke is their priority, but who knows.

That's an interesting story line. What happens if CC wants to commit, but Locke sounds like hes a lock? Do they take CC or play the lotto and hope Locke commits later on?

#1,767      

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
If fans haven't figured out that in this epoch there is regular attrition at all programs, they haven't been watching. Some teams have a bit more or less, but every program has regular attrition (with some degree of active roster management involved).

Every year we speculate exactly how many openings we will have, and it's virtually always more than we envision.

I said the same thing a few pages back: we fans continue to underestimate attrition. As an example, we all felt that JCL would be here, yet he's elsewhere.

#1,768      

Reggie Theus Jr.
Shamiek Sheppard
Demtetrius Henry
Jaylen Shaw
Desmond Ringer
Damien Leonard
R.J. Slawson
Eric Smith
Brian Richardson
Carlton Geathers
Raymond Doby
Eric Cobb
Jamall Gregory
Travon Bunch
James Thompson
Marcus Stroman
Temarcus Blanton
Ran Tut
Sedee Keita

None of those players graduated?? :eek:

#1,769      

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
Well, if you leave the school, how can you graduate? I'd bet you that not a single player who left our program graduated. Any takers??? :D

Meyers Leonard finished or is finishing his degree.

#1,771      
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any of those names either so it’s clear he knows who to get rid of to upgrade the talent.

#1,773      
So we have three open scholarships for 2018: what happens if Ayo, Landers, Colin, George, and Talen all want to come here? Can we over-sign by two or is someone transferring?

This is a pipe-dream, I get it. But I'm just curious about what actually would happen.

Luther

#1,774      

Deleted member 633632

D
There was speculation on here that we never got around to that in-home with Conditt because we felt we had Castleton locked up. Made sense, but this dispels that theory.

Good to hear. In a perfect world, I'd rather have both Castleton and Conditt than one of them + the European guy. Plus, with Castleton going on his Michigan visit, you certainly cannot pencil him into our lineup just yet. Makes sense for the staff to go hard after Conditt again.

There are a lot of theories on here that are thrown out there as gospel that have no weight or substance to them at all. Even my cryptic yesses lbs.

B/c if BPJ commits to UCLA this weekend, we will never get that OV I was told we will get. And it's my belief that Conditt & C.C. will be a part of this class as well..

So who knows, they might just take 6! :eek::D

Status
Not open for further replies.