Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,851      
But it won't be an elite big, look at the bigs they rushed to sign last year. I hope they work out but they were rated lower than Ibby Djimde. CC is not coming here, he wanted to go to FL, and we were his second pick, when they said no he leaned toward us, until he got an offer from any other school, and he has that now. CC is going to Michigan and watch how our fan base spins that the much lower rated player we eventually sign is a "much better fit." By the way, I hate that I'm going to be right.

You're always at risk here because some people shoot the messenger.

This is probably the most nervous period for recruiting we've had since...well, a couple months ago. But we need to remember that these guys started this cycle well behind the field, and they may be playing catch-up. Let them use all the time available.

Believe it or not, I'm still impressed with what they've accomplished in the last 5-6 months. With the caveat that I don't know much about Matic, and am concerned about his ceiling. Ebo, though, has had a number of people rave about him having elite athleticism. His ceiling may be quite high with the right coaching. And obviously Smith is looking like an insane get that can bring instant pride and credibility to Illinois. Maybe Smith deserves much of that credit, but he's here and that's what counts.

#1,852      

Deleted member 10676

D
Well, Groce is recruiting fine if that's --- whoa, wait.

Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels
LaPear Toles, a 6-6 wing from State Fair Community, just committed to Akron, per a source. Originally played at Canton McKinley.

#1,853      

Deleted member 10676

D
And if Locke were to commit to Florida this weekend, that would give UM room for both CC and THT, which Meyer has predicted for both.
See, it can always get worse.

Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels 1h1 hour ago
Big weekend for Florida. Hosting Andrew Nembhard & Noah Locke for official visits. Omar Payne checking out the school today as well.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitu...ker-at-Simeon-183602/CurrentExpertPredictions
https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitu...opez-Catholic-193707/CurrentExpertPredictions

#1,854      

Deleted member 631370

D
You're always at risk here because some people shoot the messenger.

This is probably the most nervous period for recruiting we've had since...well, a couple months ago. But we need to remember that these guys started this cycle well behind the field, and they may be playing catch-up. Let them use all the time available.

Believe it or not, I'm still impressed with what they've accomplished in the last 5-6 months. With the caveat that I don't know much about Matic, and am concerned about his ceiling. Ebo, though, has had a number of people rave about him having elite athleticism. His ceiling may be quite high with the right coaching. And obviously Smith is looking like an insane get that can bring instant pride and credibility to Illinois. Maybe Smith deserves much of that credit, but he's here and that's what counts.

Mark Smith alone makes this staff's recruiting a success since they came aboard. Smith is going to be a difference maker.

2018 isn't a program-changing recruiting class, but it's important. Right now, it's too early to either moan or celebrate. For me, it still hinges on Ayo and THT/Nolley. If we get Ayo and one of our prized wings, this class goes down as a success -- period. Otherwise, we're going to need to have a better-than-expected season on the court and follow that up with a really strong 2019 class.

#1,855      

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Mark Smith alone makes this staff's recruiting a success since they came aboard. Smith is going to be a difference maker.

2018 isn't a program-changing recruiting class, but it's important. Right now, it's too early to either moan or celebrate. For me, it still hinges on Ayo and THT/Nolley. If we get Ayo and one of our prized wings, this class goes down as a success -- period. Otherwise, we're going to need to have a better-than-expected season on the court and follow that up with a really strong 2019 class.

I really feel that we will have a better than expected year on the court due to conditioning improvements and our freshmen will uplift the returning players with their enthusiasm and skills....

as far as recruiting, we shall soon see if the efforts by the staff will return the results we need to build the program back up to the top 25 levels we all want...

CC...Ayo...THT...GC....LV....whoever accepts the PRIVILEGE of playing for the Illini will be welcomed and cheered on.....

LETS GO ILLINI !!!!!

#1,856      

schnaurt

Phoenix, AZ
Give up 92 points and 16 three's tells you something about Underwood's defense.:)

TC I enjoy your posts but we all know that OSU team he inherited was very bad defensively. They were getting abused even more prior to UW making a midseason, overnight defensive change. Was it UW or the players?

We were a bad defensive team last year but I think we will be better this year and will continue to get better under UW.

Mainly, his teams at SF Austin showed much better defensive numbers and overall think it was the OSU players with their prior Ford scheme and not UW. He stays with them another year and I think the stats would have proved that.

#1,857      

james81

North Carolina
One way or another, this coming week the dominoes start to fall. Unfortunately, we have no idea which way they go: Illinois, Iowa State, Michigan? In a few weeks the drama will be over and the focus will be on the upcoming season. For me, evaluating recruiting success is not about trusting the coaches to do the right thing--no doubt they are trying hard. Rather it's about getting the right player at the right time. While you are always better off getting key players every year, some years are more critical than others, and fortunately for us, the 2018 class is less strategic than the 2019 class in terms of roster turnover (assuming Black and Finke stick around). Our most glaring need is for a big. If we don't get one this year, we should be in a stronger position to attract a quality player next year--the playing time will be wide open. This coming week should reveal where we stand.

#1,858      

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
Personally I feel our priorities in this class among the guys we are in on should be:

Ayo

Nolley
THT

Castleton
Kisunas, Conditt, BPJ, or whoever

Easy to badmouth a guy if you don't think you'll get him, sour grapes I suppose, but Castleton look a long way physically from making an impact to my eyes. The staff wants him so I hope they get him, but Nolley is by far the more important player. I'll take Ayo, either of those wings, and any of those other bigs and I wont fret Castleton one bit.
What you see is now is not what he's going to look like with Fletcher after a few months. However, I'm in the same boat as you in that I want him because the staff does. BPJ is my number one.

#1,859      
Personally I feel our priorities in this class among the guys we are in on should be:

Ayo

Nolley
THT

Castleton
Kisunas, Conditt, BPJ, or whoever

Easy to badmouth a guy if you don't think you'll get him, sour grapes I suppose, but Castleton look a long way physically from making an impact to my eyes. The staff wants him so I hope they get him, but Nolley is by far the more important player. I'll take Ayo, either of those wings, and any of those other bigs and I wont fret Castleton one bit.

myself I would put it

1 AYO

2 ANY of the bigs we are in on and after,I like Conditt or BPJ more then the others but to me we just need a big so who ever would be good with me

3 Nolley/THT neither will beat out who we will have so not as important to me as a big

4 if we take 4 any of the other bigs

5 just cause I think it will happen anyone left we are after that wants to come if we get 2 and 4 then another wing prefured

#1,863      
Take it for what it's worth, but Conditt's dad posted a side by side picture of George in a cyclone jersey and Lobo jersey. Ryan Evan engaged him and it came down to that was more his preference but not necessarily his son's. Also per Ryan Evan the staff was okay with 2 bigs, but apparently not two wings.

https://twitter.com/acilliniryan/status/914220382529495040

https://twitter.com/acilliniryan/status/914255665065005057

Ryan Evans Schroat is wrong about the 2 wings IMO. They would definitely take 2 if they are the right fit.

Ayo's recruitment is weird. He sort of goes out of his way to not hype Illinois pretty much ever but will retweet some wake fan having a bad day asking him to commit to make it better.. Maybe he's a king of misdirection.

Honestly I think after this year when Underwood shocks the heck out of the big ten Illinois will not have to spend quite so much time asking kids to come here as they'll need to get on board or get left behind. Illinois has been down a decade.

I know the staff loves Ayo and he's the #1 priority but if I had to pick two kids to get I'd go with Nolley and Castleton for the fact is we lack an athletic wing and he fits perfect and we lack a skilled big and he fits that perfect.

#1,864      

Deleted member 10676

D
Take it for what it's worth, but Conditt's dad posted a side by side picture of George in a cyclone jersey and Lobo jersey. Ryan Evan engaged him and it came down to that was more his preference but not necessarily his son's. Also per Ryan Evan the staff was okay with 2 bigs, but apparently not two wings.

https://twitter.com/acilliniryan/status/914220382529495040

https://twitter.com/acilliniryan/status/914255665065005057

That's not their preference though. They'd love to have Nolley and THT. BU loves both those guys.

Ryan Evan‏ @ACIlliniRyan 23m23 minutes ago
More Ryan Evan Retweeted Michael Rogers
I said the #illini staff WILL take two Bigs if they want to come. Have to get first lol One big two wings and AYO is ideal

#1,865      

Deleted member 10676

D
Just want to say that although I agree with this, contrary to what some on here will believe, I am not affiliated with National Prep Hoops Review.:thumb:
Can't wait to see him play this winter.

Talen Horton-Tucker Retweeted
National Prep Hoops‏ @HoopReview 20m20 minutes ago
@Thortontucker is just on another level , will have a very Big season! A potential top 30 ranked player no doubt!

#1,866      
How the hell would Schroat know what the staff is ok with? Just because he calls recruits like someone's creepy uncle does not make him an expert on what the coaches want.

Because he has accounts on rivals and scout and poaches their premium information.

#1,872      
Regardless of the hashtag, the environment for the VT vs Clemson game has been crazy since Gameday this morning. Good planning by Buzz and company to have Landers on campus for it.

#1,873      
Another weekend goes by and we wait, we had our visits with both, CC and Nolley, hopefully the staff living in there back pocket and homes lately, will be the thing that stays with them. Something will happen soon. :illinois:

Status
Not open for further replies.