Iowa 96, Illinois 87 POSTGAME

I’m hopeful that this season was the result of trying to do too much with a bunch of freshman and overmatched soph/juniors... but the fact is, this team is much more talented than the injury riddled team of a few years ago, with similar results.

A team with low bb iq, missed ft’s, god awful inbound plays, consistent stupid away from the ball fouls, and nonstop end of shot clock horrific shots ...well... I don’t consider that good coaching.

Last edited by a moderator:

illini80

Forgottonia
I wonder what our number of dunks this year was. Has to be one of the lowest in D1. While we had several tonight, it was clear that there are no high flyers who can do it with ease. Only when wide open. Kipper can't take any contact and make it to the rim. Same for Black, Finke, or Ebo. Ebo has the athleticism but not the strength.

I also think that's why we seem to get so few calls. When you look unathletic, it affects the way the refs see it. Just like the more aggressive team usually get the calls.

Iowa was supposed to be a bad defensive team, yet we are so unathletic they can stay with us. That won't happen against Michigan. I expect them to get beaten badly.

It's over and that sucks, but so did most of the last 3 months.

Last edited:
Not going to blame Underwood. Not going to do it. Great coach.

One could honestly argue that Fran McCaffery out coached us twice this year. Iowa does not get to the line like that against anyone else. :mad:

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Every end of season, over the last few, has been depressing. I HATE losing to Iowa...ever...but I feel hope for the first time in a while. I think we are on to something that will pan out, and I am looking forward to next year.

Deleted member 631370

D
Luckily this isn't true. A year's experience would be very valuable to this team and even if we added nobody we would be better.

No doubt we'll be better.

But going from 14 wins to 18 wins probably won't make many people feel better.

And while many on here probably believe we'll be much better than an 18-13 kind of team, I personally don't think that's a guarantee by any means absent some significant additions to this recruiting class.

Deleted member 628259

D
I started to make a list of who I want to stay and go, but it turned into just backcourt and frontcourt. Brad has GOT to get some bigs who can play besides Leron.

I’m generally a pretty optimistic dude, but looking at next season it is hard for me to not have a “I’ll believe it when I see it” attitude when it comes to this program being in the run for an NCAA Tourney bid.

I’m hopeful that this season was the result of trying to do too much with a bunch of freshman and overmatched soph/juniors... but the fact is, this team is much more talented than the injury riddled team of a few years ago, with similar results.

A team with low bb iq, missed ft’s, god awful inbound plays, consistent stupid away from the ball fouls, and nonstop end of shot clock horrific shots ...well... I don’t consider that good coaching.

That is an opinion, not a fact. What should you suggest Whitman do? Fire a coach in his first year coaching Groce's players?

We should learn from the past. Coaching a previous regime's players doesn't mean much. Weber? Groce? BU is going to make his money by recruiting talent and developing talent. We know almost nothing about how good he is at that...but we will learn A LOT in the next 12 months.

CAIllini

West Coast
Disappointing end to a disappointing season....not really sure what to think at this point but all the players and coaches have some serious work to do both individually and as a team. If they're gonna be "every day guys" for the next 9 months, let's see it pay off with some tangible improvement next year.

Re: post 60 & 61. Yes. I’m optimistic that we have a number of guys who will substantially improve as individual players. And that we will “learn the system”.

But unless we get more talented bigs, we are bottom of the BIG.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Perfect end to the season;

Fought valiantly, but clearly not enough talent, and not enough size, and not enough defense to beat a mediocre Iowa team.

We can't afford off games by Leron and Trent - the supporting cast isn't good enough.

We have some good pieces, but as they say, "Parts is parts, and pieces is pieces"

bingo

That is an opinion, not a fact. What should you suggest Whitman do? Fire a coach in his first year coaching Groce's players?

We should learn from the past. Coaching a previous regime's players doesn't mean much. Weber? Groce? BU is going to make his money by recruiting talent and developing talent. We know almost nothing about how good he is at that...but we will learn A LOT in the next 12 months.

You are 100% correct. I meant that the results were as bad as that season (just too lazy too look up stats).

I too am very hopeful that our coaches simply failed to maximize wins out of freshmen who were not capable of fully learning college hoops AND this system. I’m not advocating firing, just admonishing a poor performance rather than pretending all blame lies with the players and prior staff.

Based on the post game press conference and the end of the season, not sure where I see transfers coming from. Kipper was definitely sounding like a guy looking forward to next season and I think Tejon is firmly out of the dog house based on the end of the season. Underwood talked highly about Smith. Williams and Big E dont strike me as transfer candidates and don't understand a transfer motive for any others.

Deleted member 631370

D
Re: post 60 & 61. Yes. I’m optimistic that we have a number of guys who will substantially improve as individual players. And that we will “learn the system”.

But unless we get more talented bigs, we are bottom of the BIG.

Yeah......it begins and ends with bigs.

Ayo is fantastic. But this recruiting class is woefully incomplete if we can't land a big that can contribute meaningful minutes right away next season.

I have this feeling that next season is one of those lynchpin seasons that will go a long way in determining the trajectory of this program. And so much of that hinges on bigs.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Not going to blame Underwood. Not going to do it. Great coach.

BU got his technical amd we went down 11...2-3 minutes later we were down 2...the mugging of TJL by Luka " Jay leno " Garza that wasn't called was the perfect example of the officiating I saw in all of the Illini's games....we breath on them and its a foul...they have to bring blood to get a foul called...

Lets break this down as many think we go from what 14 to 18 wins, no transfers, and 2-3? recruits added.

MSU - Will be not nearly as talented next year. Lose Jackson/Bridges
Indiana - Will be better next year, Keep everyone
Ohio State - No way as good...Lose KBD, lacking guards.
Michigan - Tails off with Wagner/Muhammed
Iowa - Will be better
Minnesota - Going wrong way
Northwestern - Going wrong way
Rutgers - Remain the same
Maryland- Will be better than this year (injuries)
Wisconsin- Will be better (Happ stays?)
Nebraska- Gets Better again-going right direction
Penn State-Wont be any better/worse
Minnesota - May not recover for several years
Purdue - Will be just as good, backup big will be far more mobile than Haas.

So in theory we should beat everyone at least 1 time so there is 14 wins plus the non conference...so say we are at 22 wins next year with a reverse in conference record. Doable with a year of Fletcher, Coaching staff, gameplanning, and maturity from the young guys. Right? Right?

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]9OsOYKro4ds[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]vJzDdbD3Am0[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]vZ5XTdtkp-M[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]ozIRB9-pKA0[/YOUTUBE]

Dan

Admin
[youtube]9BwOXUuAN2E[/youtube]
[YOUTUBE]nv5d9fNqpT4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]yreSLGavzhU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

IllFanInMi

I
Wow! had to miss the game and forgot to DVR it. Was honestly believing I would log on here, see we got the W and read all sorts of homer comments on how we can make a run at the title and bid our way into the dance.

I really want to jump on the popular bandwagon of how BU is a great coach, how each guy will be one year better and in the system, how Ayo is a sure fire difference maker, blah, blah, blah.

I’m upset about this year and glad it won’t take long to get over the season, because I let it go a month ago.

Bottom line is there are MAJOR questions about our position balance, whether one more year and Ayo will make up 2 wins or 10, and who WILL depart via the transfer route. We won’t know anything until transfer decisions are made and recruiting is finalized, which could be months.

I hope for the stars to align, but without some new player infusions (I won’t use talent as a word because I believe we have a good level of it), I for one am VERY worried about next year.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I will not be committing this season to the memory banks. Space is already running low as is.

So does anyone know what is legal in the off season in terms of scrimmage games? One thing that bites us (according to Underwood) is that we do not practice against the size of teams that we play. I know the guys will be hanging out with Fletch in the weight room. But they seriously have to practice against essentially the size & talent at a level in which they need to play at.