John Groce Fired

Both a sad and hopeful day for the Illini. It came down to performance on the court. I think nearly everyone would agree that John Groce represented the university well and made student athletes better men. Best of luck to him in the future. I am confident that he will land on his feet. May this be the turning point for better days ahead for U of I basketball.

He was a class act the whole time he was here, hope the next coach is half as quality a dude as Groce.

Trakis

Chicago, IL
I love Josh Whitman, so much. So freaking much.

I want to take this moment to thank Coach Groce. Fantastic man. Just wasn't ever able to get it moving. I know he will end up ok in the end. Most importantly, let's thank Josh Whitman. The man has a tough job, and did what is best for the program. This presser tells me that he get it. We will win. :illinois:

I will truly be rooting for Groce wherever he ends up, as long as it isn't against the Illini. You never know, maybe he grows as a coach and comes back some day.

PostersLastStand

Wayne County, IL
Just because you are hired for a job doesn't mean you are capable of doing that job. Coach was a class act and a fine example of a leader of young men. I thought when he was hired he was the one. I wanted him to succeed. Unfortunately, he never got the program to where we expected it to be and kept giving up ground. I wish it wouldn't taken five years to get where we are now. I do thank him for his tenure here. Godspeed to Cleveland State, rebuild them. Make the NCAA's. Beat Duke as a sixteen seed.

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
John Groce is a class act and he will enrich the lives of young athletes somewhere. Great person who just didn't quite do the difficult job he had. I also have to add that if we don't have the classiest AD in the business I don't know who does. My appreciation for Whitman just keeps growing.

Whitman just such an impressive representative and spokesman for Illini Nation.

Actually this is a good thing for GROCE.....the last two coaches who left Illinois ( Weber+Self) all ended up with better records than they did at Illinois and both went to big time schools....

Actually this is a good thing for GROCE.....the last two coaches who left Illinois ( Weber+Self) all ended up with better records than they did at Illinois and both went to big time schools....

It won't repeat the 3rd time......

Cheez

Sun Prairie WI
John Groce is a wonderful human being by all accounts. I truly do wish he could have been more successful here as coach because he was a wonderful ambassador for the university. I wish him nothing but the best going forward.

For the University of Illinois, this is a tremendous opportunity. With the team that we have coming back and the recruits coming in, whoever comes in can make an immediate impact and in time potentially bring Illinois back to national importance.

The Sprouting Divot

Invisible and Bulletproof
Miracle Mile
I really wish it had worked out better for Coach Groce and the Illini. He had a lot of bad breaks and bad luck, and never seemed to let it get him too down. I have no doubt that he'll land on his feet, and I'll continue to be a fan of his wherever he goes.

Thrasherx2k1

Lebanon TN
The biggest thing I took away from the press conference was Whitman loving on Groce the whole time yet Groce didn't mention Whitman one time. Kind of odd for such a strong friendship. But then again Groce did say today shocked him!

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
This was probably the right call by Whitman, but I'm bummed for Groce. He's a great guy in every way. I wish him well in the future.

The biggest thing I took away from the press conference was Whitman loving on Groce the whole time yet Groce didn't mention Whitman one time. Kind of odd for such a strong friendship. But then again Groce did say today shocked him!

Yeah, friends or not, Groce was just fired hours ago. I've never been fired, but I have a feeling that if I was fired, I wouldn't be talking up the guy that fired me even if we were good friends.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
Yeah, friends or not, Groce was just fired hours ago. I've never been fired, but I have a feeling that if I was fired, I wouldn't be talking up the guy that fired me even if we were good friends.

I was surprise fired by a friend 22 years ago and we still haven't spoken even though he's given me his phone number several times. It's hard. Groce was as positive as he could be given the circumstances.

I wish him nothing but the best going forward. He'll be just fine.

Thought the same thing about Groce not mentioning Whitman once. He essentially said he respected him and that's about it.

Meh, I thought they both handled it very well. Groce just got fired, he was respectful and complimentary of the players, program, and school. He said he respected the decision and Whitman. He just got fired, obviously a very tough time for him and his family, no whining whatsoever, took full responsibility. But it is hard for him to be happy and keep on thanking Whitman, it was emotional for him, a life changing decision. Not an easy decision for Whitman either, but much easier to keep on thanking Groce than vice versa.

On to a new era of Illini basketball!

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]UDXeaCz3hqs[/YOUTUBE]
[youtube]1-q-6_j-lgs[/youtube]

Last edited:

I thought Coach Groce handled the situation very well, & with about as much grace as one could expect.