Mark Smith transferring to Missouri

Good Luck Mark!
Thank you for giving us one year of your life and trying to fit into a system that was not suited to you skills

. ....Also, if this means no Ramey for Miznoz, I make that "trade," all day, every day.

I was going to type the exact same thing.

And good luck to Mark, but wow, he had (I assume) a number of other very attractive options. It will be interesting following his career.

Why would he get booed? He didn't do anything wrong. He didn't take to coach's system and got himself buried on the bench. He just wasn't quick enough to play defense at this level, consistently finding himself with two fouls by the 16 minute mark of the 1st half.

Missouri has a real problem in their backcourt. Illinois does not. So, from a strategic standpoint, it makes sense, but from an ability standpoint....not so much.

Would have thought ISU or Bradley would have been a good destination for his abilities, but I wish nothing for the best for him. Good kid.

He’s gonna get booed. Why? Because he chose to leave. Not only did he choose to leave, he chose to go to our #1 enemy.

I’ll be disappointed if we don’t boo him. I’m not saying we need to throw things at his parents in the stands, but it’s a rivalry game. He should get booed, along with every other Missouri player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illini80

Forgottonia
I can’t imagine how he thinks this is a good move. While I think he will be a good player, there is no way he is “the man”. He will be recruited over and likely see fewer minutes than he did at Illinois.

Boooing can add motivation for the strong- willed, not that I'm suggesting that this is the case with MS. However, it did take some stones to transfer to Missou. We'll see if he develops the skills to keep up with his bravado.

I personally think it's fine to boo him. If a talent at a company was given every chance to become CEO and didn't succeed at first Street receiving all kinds of training but the company was still supporting him and he went to their competition out of the blue, the would be some sour grapes there.

Winning will help us more than anything else in recruiting. This isn't IDKWTI 2.0. MSmith had a good recruiting process and committed to us. Unfortunately it didn't work for either side and both sides probably regret that it didn't work.

Nobody expected Trent to come in and excel. So I don't know how much of a factor this was in the transfer. But BU shifted from saying I want the ball in MSmith at end of games to Trent. In the end we traded MSmith for more minutes for Ayo, Tevian, and Griffin.

illini80

Forgottonia
Sheesh. Nothing looks better than trashing a kid on his twitter account. Yea, I’m sure that helps us Illini fans. Who wouldn’t want to come here after reading that?

Best of luck to Mark. Kind of a crazy move as this puts a ton of pressure on the kid when we play them in 2 years. There's no way BU lets him get a dribble off when we play them.

Does this smell of his dad basically saying FU to the O&B? Even though he was given all the chance and more to succeed here.
I wish him the best but I'm not sure if Mark gave himself a real chance to improve and play here. I think he expected it to be easier. He could have but decided to leave instead. Which of course is his prerogative.

Seems like a super kid. I hope he has an outstanding career at Missouri... and that we annihilate them annually.

Cuonzo runs a different defensive system than BU, but Smith's defensive shortcomings will appear in any system. I have my doubts that he could ever play the 1 at any high D1 program, but with that transfer year off to improve his off the ball movement and handles he could develop into a solid 2-3 wing player and a good scorer.

With his dad sporting the Lavar Ball attitude it will be interesting to see what happens if he is not a starter when he becomes eligible. Cuonzo can recruit so there will be competition for minutes. We will see how Dad handles that.

Mark Smith

Kids generally pick schools they think will give them the best chance, considering their circumstances, of getting to the NBA. I seriously doubt recruits are going to think Mark Smith who struggled at Illinois went to Missouri so I should go there too.

Can't imagine this helps with Liddell. I'm guessing he's a goner to Mizzou. Too bad for him if so.

That said, we can bash on Mizzou all we want (and rightfully so), but what high school players see is that they have two kids going in the first round this year...and we have zero for six years running.

Why would folks Boo someone who just did us a favor ?

By then end of the season, Mark Smith could barely stay on the court on a team that went 4-14 in conference. With all the talent coming in next year, all he would do is take up space on the pine filling a slot BU now is using to snag better talent.

If Trent left for MO, I’d be furious. Instead I’m looking up the address to send Smith’s dad a fruit basket. Total two-fer = we free up space for someone who actually can cut it in the B1G, and Cuonznoz gains an ankle weight that won’t help him win any games (apart from potentially helping land Lidell).

By the time Smith even sniffs the court 18 months from now, our success will have made this a distant memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Posted this in another thread, but here's where Mark's Player Efficiency Rating ranked among freshman guard seasons we've had over the last decade.

E2uUtUo.png

In all seriousness, best of luck to Mark, but I'm not losing any sleep over this.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Speculation on max: It seems this may be a move by Clownzo that does several things:

1. Saves face in the race for Ramey. He can say, just like Illinois, he wouldn't wait for a player...although the reality looks like he saw the handwriting.
2. He gets to look like the compassionate and welcoming coach of the greater St. Louis/ESL area by taking in this cast off area son.
3. EJ Liddel...possibly. Although smart money is on the eventual Blue Blood offers.

Hosestly, I wish Mark no ill at all (pun intended), but I can't wait to see that lost look and toreador defense being played against us, rather than for us.

ILLINI IN NE

Omaha,Ne.
I don't like Mizzo.
I don't care for CM.
I would boo Gordon and Snider if I had the chance,
I would boo Grayson Allen if I saw him buying coffee at Starbucks.

Can't say the same for Smith. He appears to be a good kid with a controlling parent. He has a history with Mizzo so I don't think his transfer there is a shot at the Illini. He wants to play at a P5 school close to home and I can't blame him. I wish him luck. By the time he is eligible we will be a much better program than Mizzo.

Winning will help us more than anything else in recruiting. This isn't IDKWTI 2.0. MSmith had a good recruiting process and committed to us. Unfortunately it didn't work for either side and both sides probably regret that it didn't work.

Not.

Nobody expected Trent to come in and excel. So I don't know how much of a factor this was in the transfer. But BU shifted from saying I want the ball in MSmith at end of games to Trent. In the end we traded MSmith for more minutes for Ayo, Tevian, and Griffin.

Not.

PJD86

Texas
Posted this in another thread, but here's where Mark's Player Efficiency Rating ranked among freshman guard seasons we've had over the last decade.

E2uUtUo.png

In all seriousness, best of luck to Mark, but I'm not losing any sleep over this.

Awesome thanks for this

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
if MS uses his year off to really work on his game it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he becomes a really good college player.

lol can't wait for Braggin Rights game now. Should be interesting for sure. We'll beat them again .